Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Celebration gala can be watched for free with registration.

The event will be held on July 15th, 19:00 local time.

https://www.abt.org/support/special-events/abt-summer-celebration/

ABT’s Summer Celebration will feature new works by Silas Farley, Helen Pickett, and ABT Principal Dancer James Whiteside. First Lady of the United States, Jill Biden, will deliver the welcoming remarks and honorees for the program are “ABT Heroes” – medical advisor Dr. Robert Galvin and ABT champion supporter and actress Jennifer Garner, both of whom have generously offered their time and talent to sustain America’s National Ballet Company® over the past 18 months.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2021 at 06:22, Naomi M said:

American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Celebration gala can be watched for free with registration.

The event will be held on July 15th, 19:00 local time.

https://www.abt.org/support/special-events/abt-summer-celebration/

ABT’s Summer Celebration will feature new works by Silas Farley, Helen Pickett, and ABT Principal Dancer James Whiteside. First Lady of the United States, Jill Biden, will deliver the welcoming remarks and honorees for the program are “ABT Heroes” – medical advisor Dr. Robert Galvin and ABT champion supporter and actress Jennifer Garner, both of whom have generously offered their time and talent to sustain America’s National Ballet Company® over the past 18 months.

This is now available to watch, without registration, on ABT’s YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k47P8muYh2Q

The 1 hr/16min film has a lot of self-congratulatory fluff but it’s worth a look for the excerpts of new ballets:

Collage and Creed (Silas Farley/Arvo Part)

Desire (Helen Pickett/Peter Salem)

City of Women (James Whiteside/Schubert)

I long to see all three new ballets in full...especially Whiteside’s, full of clever quotations from Balanchine, Petipa et al. Principal Christine Schevchenko and soloist Katie Williams - letting their hair down, like the leads in Serenade - are particularly magnificent among the cast of nine ladies.

All three works are classically based, with women on pointe (woohoo!). Pickett’s is the most abstract-modern but nonetheless gorgeous...all five dancers spectacular, although my eye kept going to new-principal danseur, sinewy & heartbreakingly musical Joo Won Ahn. 

The Farley work, to heavenly choral music, is a gathering of angels, with Patrick Frenette a stand out. Lordie, I must see this entire work!!! 

The excerpts shown are substantial (each between 7 -11 minutes) and well filmed on outdoor stages.

Thank you, ABT! 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We haven’t had very many free live-streams in a while, as things are returning to normal, somewhat. Here’s one!

The Vail  Dance Festival (Colorado, USA)  just announced that it will livestream the 2021 edition’s final performance this coming Monday, 9 August, beginning at 9:30pm eastern US time via their YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyABGlHPXM

This will be the “NOW: Premieres” programme of ballets created during this year’s festival, including one by Justin Peck for NYCB’s Tiler Peck and ABT’s Herman Cornejo.  Many other stars of U.S. ballet and modern dance troupes will participate. 

More info on the festival’s  Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159139615485935&id=31837010934

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

We haven’t had very many free live-streams in a while, as things are returning to normal, somewhat. Here’s one!

The Vail  Dance Festival (Colorado, USA)  just announced that it will livestream the 2021 edition’s final performance this coming Monday, 9 August, beginning at 9:30pm eastern US time via their YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyABGlHPXM

This will be the “NOW: Premieres” programme of ballets created during this year’s festival, including one by Justin Peck for NYCB’s Tiler Peck and ABT’s Herman Cornejo.  Many other stars of U.S. ballet and modern dance troupes will participate. 

More info on the festival’s  Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159139615485935&id=31837010934

That's 2.30 am on Tuesday in the UK.  Wonder if they will be keeping it online for a few days.  

So far, it appears to be only live...7:30pm local time in Vail, Colorado. Sorry! 😞

Last year’s virtual festival offerings - films of past performances - were up for a week or so. Maybe Damien Woetzel will be extra kind and keep a film of this show up?

Following on the heels of getting up in the middle of the night to catch my gymnastics live from Tokyo...this is tough, I know. Grr.

p.s. I’ve just written to the festival & will report back on any answer. 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

Thank you, Jeannette and Bruce.  I've put the "bare bones" of the details in the Community Calendar: if anyone can be more precise about ending time please let me know and I'll edit it - I presume it has to be me since I started it.

Kansas City Ballet (USA) has made its entire 13-episode New Moves series of films available to stream for free through 22 August, via this site:

https://kcballet.org/kc-ballet-at-home/#newmoves

These are 13 works, created especially for film by noted choreographers (such as Helen Pickett, who I greatly admire), filmed on location throughout the city.

Also in this space, if one scrolls above the New Moves section, are links to three KCB “2nd company” performances of interesting works, such as Flower Festival pdd and ballets by notable current choreographers (Christopher Ruud, for ex.).

Have a happy Kansas City Ballet marathon!

p.s. There’s even more! So many delights within the above link...such as a series of fascinating podcasts (talks) on ballet music, by KCB’s music director Ramona Pasegrau. I just listened to the hour-long chat on Cesare Pugni, for example.

* Donations to KCB encouraged; top of the webpage * :)

Edited by Jeannette

15 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Kansas City Ballet (USA) has made its entire 13-episode New Moves series of films available to stream for free through 22 August, via this site:

https://kcballet.org/kc-ballet-at-home/#newmoves

These are 13 works, created especially for film by noted choreographers (such as Helen Pickett, who I greatly admire), filmed on location throughout the city.

Also in this space, if one scrolls above the New Moves section, are links to three KCB “2nd company” performances of interesting works, such as Flower Festival pdd and ballets by notable current choreographers (Christopher Ruud, for ex.).

Have a happy Kansas City Ballet marathon!

p.s. There’s even more! So many delights within the above link...such as a series of fascinating podcasts (talks) on ballet music, by KCB’s music director Ramona Pasegrau. I just listened to the hour-long chat on Cesare Pugni, for example.

* Donations to KCB encouraged; top of the webpage * :)

Thanks so for this, Jeanette.  So exciting to see the talent seemingly hidden away in the US regional companies.  That young lad from Kansas City Ballet II in the Flower Festival PDD (Joshua Kiesel) is obviously very talented.  (Here is a brief clip from his social media while on a summer intensive with The Washington Ballet).  Have dipped in (and out it has to be said) of the 13 episodes.  Really enjoyed Cameron Thomas' 'Basie Land', shot in the American Jazz Museum.  The dramatic focus of the performers' eyes went into overdrive making the mask wearing aptly exotic.  Loved the spoken interactions between the novice cinematographer and the choreographer too.  Thomas - apart from being gifted balletically -  is obviously (again from his social media) one mean pianist.  Certainly shows in his dance making.  Hope he does more.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Live/Zoom interview with Marianela Nunez Saturday 4th September from 1.30-2.30pm. Marianella will be talking about her relationship with music as a dancer and her experiences and reflections on the ballet class. There will then be a short Q&A where questions will be welcomed from the audience. 

Live 15 GBP/Zoom 7.50 GBP

https://www.thedancingpiano.com/mari

• 1 month later...

This is a project by Rocío Alemán, principal dancer of Stuttgart Ballet, who asked ten of her colleagues to choregraph short solos for students of her former school, the Escuela Superior de Música y Danza in Monterrey, Mexico.

The solos were made by Zoom and then filmed in very, very beautiful outdoor locations. The film will stay online.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on YT, 'Giselle' at the Teatro Massimo starring Nicoletta Manni & Timofej Andrijashenko (both La Scala Ballet principals and real life couple!) in the title roles. Only recently performed in July 2021! An absolute treat to behold!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 00:37, Marie said:

Found this on YT, 'Giselle' at the Teatro Massimo starring Nicoletta Manni & Timofej Andrijashenko (both La Scala Ballet principals and real life couple!) in the title roles. Only recently performed in July 2021! An absolute treat to behold!

This is the performance that Alina Cojocaru should have performed with Timofej.  What a treat it would have been to see her in this.   

I will watch anyway.

Perm Opera Theatre has started an online streaming platform based on Vimeo with some of their opera and ballet contents could be streamed at a low price of about a little more than a pound for a week.  

https://online.permopera.ru/

Swan Lake, Nutcracker are among their offerings and they are fabulous productions. 

and on November 3rd and 4th, with the NIGHT OF ARTS campaign in Russia, you can watch them for free with the promo code ARTNIGHT, this Tweet says.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

News that the 16th World Ballet Festival held in Japan in August 2021 will be streamed.   Full info and programme at the link.

Personally I’m surprised at the cost … £72 for both programmes, and that is with the early bird discount.   That’s much more expensive than European streams.  Maybe it is more in line with North American and Australian ones … and it is two full shows of world stars.  🤔 

Extract: 

By popular demand from ballet fans in Japan and beyond, the 16th World Ballet Festival held in August 2021 will be available on demand from Monday 20 December 2021 until Monday 10 January 2022. The Festival was held with 24 world-leading dancers from prestigious companies such as the Paris Opera Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The Bolshoi Ballet, Mariinsky Ballet, Béjart Ballet Lausanne, The Stuttgart Ballet, Hamburg Ballet and so on, at Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, with theater capacity limits and severe COVID-19 prevention measures. Even before the Festival started, we had heard from many international fans who were unfortunately not able to attend the performances that they would like to see the streaming, so we decided to film the performances.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/stages/2021/wbf-on-demand/top.html?fbclid=IwAR033rnPfaVGKj2-_w4tKEmfQwNhmLAO23FHx-L6y-gSvrEUNRMG2Us-hKk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FionaE said:

News that the 16th World Ballet Festival held in Japan in August 2021 will be streamed.   Full info and programme at the link.

Personally I’m surprised at the cost … £72 for both programmes, and that is with the early bird discount.   That’s much more expensive than European streams.  Maybe it is more in line with North American and Australian ones … and it is two full shows of world stars.  🤔 

Extract: 

By popular demand from ballet fans in Japan and beyond, the 16th World Ballet Festival held in August 2021 will be available on demand from Monday 20 December 2021 until Monday 10 January 2022. The Festival was held with 24 world-leading dancers from prestigious companies such as the Paris Opera Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The Bolshoi Ballet, Mariinsky Ballet, Béjart Ballet Lausanne, The Stuttgart Ballet, Hamburg Ballet and so on, at Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, with theater capacity limits and severe COVID-19 prevention measures. Even before the Festival started, we had heard from many international fans who were unfortunately not able to attend the performances that they would like to see the streaming, so we decided to film the performances.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/stages/2021/wbf-on-demand/top.html?fbclid=IwAR033rnPfaVGKj2-_w4tKEmfQwNhmLAO23FHx-L6y-gSvrEUNRMG2Us-hKk

But do read the fine print....the entire programs are not included (e.g Manon with Kaneko/Muntagirov) due to copyright. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paris Opera Ballet: Giselle and Les Indes Galantes (paid):

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/products/giselle-les-indes-galantes?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OnP+Chez+Soi+Giselle_Tous+contacts+(ensemble+de+la+base)_information_mail&utm_content=Onp+Chez+Soi+Giselle_et+Les_Indes_VIMEO_UK&utm_term=CTA+HEADER

I seem to remember that their Giselle is of a rather older vintage than most other companies'.  I can't work out how long it's available for, though - only that it says it's "for Christmas".

On 21/12/2021 at 01:39, alison said:

Paris Opera Ballet: Giselle and Les Indes Galantes (paid):

https://chezsoi.operadeparis.fr/products/giselle-les-indes-galantes?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OnP+Chez+Soi+Giselle_Tous+contacts+(ensemble+de+la+base)_information_mail&utm_content=Onp+Chez+Soi+Giselle_et+Les_Indes_VIMEO_UK&utm_term=CTA+HEADER

I seem to remember that their Giselle is of a rather older vintage than most other companies'.  I can't work out how long it's available for, though - only that it says it's "for Christmas".

you get 30 days access to both Giselle and the hip hop opera-ballet Les Indes Galantes when you buy … £10.90.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

you get 30 days access to both Giselle and the hip hop opera-ballet Les Indes Galantes when you buy … £10.90.

I suppose 30 days is longer than my bottle of Christmas Malt Whisky will last, or the Turkey, but somehow I just cant get into the mind set of buying something that will self destruct after 30 days.

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

I suppose 30 days is longer than my bottle of Christmas Malt Whisky will last, or the Turkey, but somehow I just cant get into the mind set of buying something that will self destruct after 30 days.

RB streams last for fixed 30 days from first broadcast.   So Paris is more generous in that it’s 30 days from your purchase date.  (If I understand correctly).  

10 hours ago, myrtle said:

Swan Lake on youtube, posted by official copyright holder

Zelensky, Makhalina, from 1990, with a happy ending  :)

This was the first ballet DVD I ever purchased and still have it in my collection. For some reason it was filmed without audience, different reasons than today. For me, it became the standard by which I assessed all other Swan Lake productions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevie said:

This was the first ballet DVD I ever purchased and still have it in my collection. For some reason it was filmed without audience, different reasons than today. For me, it became the standard by which I assessed all other Swan Lake productions.

Thank you, that's very interesting to hear.   I don't miss the coughing or even the clapping, surprisingly.   I wonder if it felt a bit strange to the dancers, though, back in those days.