Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp

This was mentioned in the links a few weeks ago but more information on Wm Forsythe "The Barre Project" with Tiler Peck

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/mar/24/william-forsythe-the-barre-project-review

The Barre Project is available online on 25 and 27 March at 5pm PDT (GMT-7 hrs)

https://go.clistudios.com/barreproject/

Edited by oncnp

Here are two streams on you tube, free of charge.

Dancers stay in the Dutch National Ballet Junior Company for only two years, before moving on either into the main company or elsewhere - so coronavirus has been severely restricting their opportunities to gain experience of performing on stage.

They are streaming a rare revival of Hans Van Manen's 1983 ballet, In and Out, which is set to music by Laurie Anderson and Nina Hagen.  It seems remarkably modern for its time and is a riot of movement and colour.  Hans Van Manen is still going strong and is rapidly approaching his 89th birthday.

You can also watch an abbreviated class, in which Ernst Meisner guides these young dancers in his usual friendly style.

I picked up about this a couple of weeks ago and found it absolutely fascinating.

Although a film about artist Anselm Keifer's exhibition at the Gagosian Gallery in Le Bourget it features (starting at 9mins 39 secs) Hugo Marchand and Hannah O'Neill of Paris Opera Ballet dancing in the gallery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

La Scala's homage to Nureyev is available here, I think until Sunday https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuTOOtdfhA&feature=emb_imp_woyt

I really enjoyed it, although would have been happy without the reminder of Nureyev's choreography for Romeo and Juliet! Other than that, a nice range of pieces and some good performances.

Agreed. I loved that it afforded a look at a range of the troupes’ principals & soloists beyond Nicolette Manni, who’s fine but somewhat overhyped. For example, I was especially impressed with Maria Celeste Losa as Dryad Queen in Don Q...also dancing the Henriette solo in Raymonda. Also loved Claudio Coviello’s Manfred solo...successor to Bolle as Italy’s next great star danseur?

• Like 2

Good news about Forsythe's Barre Project with the amazing Tiler Peck.  I contacted the organisers, CLI Studios, as I was unable to watch either showing as they were in the middle of the night here, and viewing wasn't extended as I had hoped. I got a very prompt reply to say that Sadler's Wells will be issuing it, in May, at 'Europe-optimised' times.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

All the homage to Nureyev did was remind me of how much I hate his choreography.

I liked the full length Manfred when Nureyev danced it at the Coliseum, that and the lyrical pdd's from his Cinderella are the best of his ballets I can remember at the moment. 

• Like 1

Angela has posted details of Staatsballett Berlin's "Digital Stage" season - including Swan Lake and some more modern works - here:

The streamings seem to be for 24 hours at a time, so you need to pick your times carefully.

A very poignant rendition of the Rose Adagio from Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty danced by Ashley Shaw and Dominic North in an empty Sadler's Wells.

https://new-adventures.net/sleeping-beauty-rose-adage-duet?utm_source=New+Adventures+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=9cfbdd36cf-April_Newsletter_2021_A_B_test4_1_2021_14_4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9eedbaed53-9cfbdd36cf-53612737

On 29/03/2021 at 12:40, Jeannette said:

Agreed. I loved that it afforded a look at a range of the troupes’ principals & soloists beyond Nicolette Manni, who’s fine but somewhat overhyped. For example, I was especially impressed with Maria Celeste Losa as Dryad Queen in Don Q...also dancing the Henriette solo in Raymonda. Also loved Claudio Coviello’s Manfred solo...successor to Bolle as Italy’s next great star danseur?

I too noticed Maria Celeste Losa in both roles .... strong technique and charming relaxed performer.  Standout performance of the whole show for me.

I did enjoy Nicolette Manni and Tim Andrijashenko in Black Swan pdd.  This role suits her, less so the Dream scene of Don Q.  Tim is a class act.  We need to see more of him. 

I wasn’t that keen on Claudio Coviello .... he is one dimensional to me.  His technique is very good, but his musicality was off.

The Raymonda divertissements was the best part of the show being most of Act 3.  The corps were reasonably well rehearsed and all were in good shape, considering they’ve had only a handful of performances in the last 12 months.  Virna Toppi and Nicola del Freo were strong in the lead roles.

12 hours ago, FionaE said:

I too noticed Maria Celeste Losa in both roles .... strong technique and charming relaxed performer.  Standout performance of the whole show for me.

I did enjoy Nicolette Manni and Tim Andrijashenko in Black Swan pdd.  This role suits her, less so the Dream scene of Don Q.  Tim is a class act.  We need to see more of him. 

I wasn’t that keen on Claudio Coviello .... he is one dimensional to me.  His technique is very good, but his musicality was off.

The Raymonda divertissements was the best part of the show being most of Act 3.  The corps were reasonably well rehearsed and all were in good shape, considering they’ve had only a handful of performances in the last 12 months.  Virna Toppi and Nicola del Freo were strong in the lead roles.

I like Nicoletta Manni in soubrette roles because of her youthful sunny countenance (smiley way)! Just not my cup of tea as Odile. 

There is currently on YouTube  a full length  1978 Royal Ballet production of Sleeping Beauty with Merle Park and David Wall, Monica Mason as Carabosse and Wayne Eagling as the Bluebird. Not great quality unfortunately which seems to be the result of a transfer from VHS.

The credits were cut off early so most of the production details are missing.

• Like 1

On 17. April 2021 Ballet Dortmund celebrates the world premiere of a choreography by Marijn Rademaker, former Principal Dancer of Stuttgart Ballet and Het Nationale. He created Schönberg's "Verklärte Nacht" ("Transfigured Night") as a ballet film, in cooperation with the Dortmund Philharmonic, film director Mathieu Gremillet and costume designer Thomas Lempertz (also a former soloist with Stuttgart Ballet).

The digital premiere will be streamed at www.theaterdo.de on Saturday, 17. April at 7:30 p.m. free of charge, it can be accessed until 11:59 p.m. the following day

Edited by Angela
forgot link

For something truly new & surprisingly traditional!

Joffrey Studio Co & trainees:

Ballet de Cour by Durante Verzola to Chopin... music recognizable to Ashton fans. Substantial 19 minutes of sublimity, in tutu & pointes for ladies & men in traditional ballet outfits!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y18f04LDAe0

For me, the best of a handful of original ballets created during the past COVID year... just straight-up beautiful dancing without outdoorsy or non-proscenium gimmicks! (Ratmansky’s Bernstein in a Bubble for ABT, Shropshire’s Handelwerk for Hong Kong, Tuckett’s Lazuli Sky for BRB, & Lovette’s La Follia Variations for ABT Studio among other winners of truly original classical works created during COVID, IMO.)

Edited by Jeannette

Copying over from the Germany etc. thread:

2 hours ago, Angela said:

The whole ballet week at Bavarian State Ballet will be streamed now, everything for free, but just one night:

The Blizzard (premiere)

a triple bill Eyal/Maliphant/Scarlett

a triple bill McGregor

Jewels (with Bouder, Somova, Shklyarov)

the Junior Company

Swan Lake (with Ksenia Ryzhkova, Jinhao Zhang, Emilio Pavan, Laurretta Summerscales,  Dmitrii Vyskubenko)

Le Corsaire (by Liška/Doug Fullington, with Daria Sukhorukova, Mai Kono, Tigran Mikayelyan, Maxim Chashchegorov, Matej Urban)

Black Cake by Hans van Manen (a very funny, very sarcastic ballet)

A documentary about the 30 year history of the company  

check out the dates here:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett/digital-ballet-festival-week-2021.html

I've put these in the Community Calendar: I'm slightly dubious about the dates, because I originally set them all to Central European Time, but I think they're showing up an hour off, so do double-check, as these are live broadcasts.

ABT returns to in-person performance, inside a true theatre with proscenium, at Costa Mesa, CA, on 25 April...the very place where they last performed live on 8 March 2020.

Luckily, tickets may be purchased to watch a stream of the quadruple bill, commencing 12 May, through two weeks. 

Details:

https://www.scfta.org/events/2021/uniting-in-movement?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MKT_Movement10amPre-saleAPR12(213B)&utm_content=version_A

• Like 1

From Gauthier Dance at Stuttgart, the "Dying Swans Project" is online now - 16 short and very different solos varying the theme of Fokine's iconic piece in modern choreography, made by 16 choreographers, 16 composers and (almost) 16 film directors for the 16 dancers of Eric Gauthier's company.

The choreographers are: Mauro Bigonzetti, Bridget Breiner, Virginie Brunelle, Kinsun Chan, Edward Clug, Dominique Dumais, Andonis Foniadakis, Itzik Galili, Eric Gauthier, Smadar Goshen, Anita Hanke, Guillaume Hulot, Nicki Liszta, Constanza Macras, Kevin O'Day, Elisabeth Schilling

Here's the Youtube Channel to find the clips : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheaterhausStuttgartDE/videos

• Like 1