Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the same bill is this fascinating piece by Balanchine which I had never seen before; a segment from his 'A figure in the Carpet'.  My word but the young Arthur Mitchell here reminds me of our own - equally young - Joseph Sissens.  Glorious men of dance both.

Something also hugely moving about watching Sugar Ray Robinson (the boxer) tap dance - oh, so brilliantly I might add.  Lovely port de bras.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 16:19, Jeannette said:

Heads up:

BalletMet of Columbus, Ohio, USA, will be streaming Peck’s In Creases for three days, beginning 16 Oct. Details:

https://www.facebook.com/events/d41d8cd9/in-creases-livestream/387296599329981/

Reminder that BalletMet’s stream of Peck’s In Creases just premiered & will remain up for only 3-4 days. DO NOT MISS THIS if you wish to see an example of perfectly-filmed ballet. I’ve seen this ballet live & on film several times, by several companies, but have never truly enjoyed it quite as this. Masterpiece of filming...number of cameras, editing choices, audience reactions, etc. Also very well performed.

https://www.balletmet.org/virtual-performances/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Wow Jeannette - thank you for the recommendation - I absolutely loved it!

You’re welcome, Jan. You see why I was gobsmacked as I watched? This is a very complex ballet, with interesting clusters making patterns throughout the 14 minutes. Very tough ballet to film adequately. The videography team really did its homework ahead of time.  Even the placement of a camera behind stall/orchestra seats to capture the standing ovation of the wildly cheering audience...just right. The moment when the guys, one by one,  prance over the others who are down parallel on the floor...or when the dancers are holding hands and slowly “fanning out” as the lead guy performs a solo...then all is repeated in the opposite direction...wow!

I’ve already rewatched four times.

I need to know the videography team!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

You’re welcome, Jan. You see why I was gobsmacked as I watched? This is a very complex ballet, with interesting clusters making patterns throughout the 14 minutes. Very tough ballet to film adequately. The videography team really did its homework ahead of time.  Even the placement of a camera behind stall/orchestra seats to capture the standing ovation of the wildly cheering audience...just right. The moment when the guys, one by one,  prance over the others who are down parallel on the floor...or when the dancers are holding hands and slowly “fanning out” as the lead guy performs a solo...then all is repeated in the opposite direction...wow!

I’ve already rewatched four times.

I need to know the videography team!!!

Yes, I loved the fanning out effect and the prancing.  I'm going to watch it again later!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Reminder that BalletMet’s stream of Peck’s In Creases just premiered & will remain up for only 3-4 days. DO NOT MISS THIS if you wish to see an example of perfectly-filmed ballet. I’ve seen this ballet live & on film several times, by several companies, but have never truly enjoyed it quite as this. Masterpiece of filming...number of cameras, editing choices, audience reactions, etc. Also very well performed.

https://www.balletmet.org/virtual-performances/

And all the more amazing since, if you look at the credits, it was intended for archive only.  Thank you very much, Jeannette - I really enjoyed Peck's response to the music.  This sort of thing could usefully go in the calendar in the hope that more people spot it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

And all the more amazing since, if you look at the credits, it was intended for archive only.  Thank you very much, Jeannette - I really enjoyed Peck's response to the music.  This sort of thing could usefully go in the calendar in the hope that more people spot it.

If you enjoyed this, Alison, might I suggest the NYCB Peck segments (the wonderful Rodeo and Year of the Rabbit) in Tuesday night's (early Wed am UK time) programme coming up.  

• Like 1

capetowncityballet -  Daria Klimentová 

Tune in to our Instagram Stories on Wednesday 28 October as we go live for part 19 of our global Cross Country Chats series.

Kirstel Paterson (CTCB) sits down with Daria Klimentová to discuss all things dance.

18h00 (SA time) ( GMT +2, I think)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzXX8wJd1h

Edited by oncnp

38 minutes ago, oncnp said:

capetowncityballet -  Daria Klimentová 

Tune in to our Instagram Stories on Wednesday 28 October as we go live for part 19 of our global Cross Country Chats series.

Kirstel Paterson (CTCB) sits down with Daria Klimentová to discuss all things dance.

18h00 (SA time) ( GMT +2, I think)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzXX8wJd1h

Thank you, and I see there is one with Stephen McRae too. 

A bit for the future .... fingers et all crossed ... from Les Etes de la Danse in Paris 

Le Festival est ravi de vous annoncer l'ouverture de la billetterie de sa prochaine édition ! Nous serons heureux de vous retrouver en 2021 au Théâtre du Châtelet avec le Dutch National Ballet qui présentera Cendrillon chorégraphiée par Christopher Wheeldon du 2 au 10 juillet puis avec l'English National Ballet qui interprétera Giselle revisitée par Akram Kham du 6 au 14 septembre.

22 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

A bit for the future .... fingers et all crossed ... from Les Etes de la Danse in Paris 

Le Festival est ravi de vous annoncer l'ouverture de la billetterie de sa prochaine édition ! Nous serons heureux de vous retrouver en 2021 au Théâtre du Châtelet avec le Dutch National Ballet qui présentera Cendrillon chorégraphiée par Christopher Wheeldon du 2 au 10 juillet puis avec l'English National Ballet qui interprétera Giselle revisitée par Akram Kham du 6 au 14 septembre.

sorry...can barely do  English on even my best days.....

The Festival is delighted to announce the opening of the ticket office for its next edition! We will be happy to meet you in 2021 at the Théâtre du Châtelet with the Dutch National Ballet which will present Cendrillon choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon from July 2 to 10, then with the English National Ballet which will perform Giselle revisited by Akram Kham from September 6 to 14.

From Dance Europe https://www.danceeurope.net/

Dancer of the Year

Ten dancers and one couple were nominated by Dance Europe's writers as 'Dancer of the Year' in the magazine's annual Critics' Choice in the October/November issue.

We are now inviting readers to vote for the 'Dancer of the Year 2020' by emailing their chosen dancer to media@danceeurope.net. Deadline 31 October.

The nominees are:

- Brandon Lawrence,

- Dorothée Gilbert,

- Friedemann Vogel,

- Maia Makhateli,

- Maria Alexandrova/Vladislav Lantratov,

- Polina Semionova,

- Qian Liu,

- Reece Clarke,

- Sasha De Sola,

- Vadim Muntagirov,

- Yui Yonezawa.

You might enjoy New York City Center's Fall for Dance which comes in two programmes now streaming and available until 1st November.  Link here.  Thought Sara Mearns and David Hallberg looked spectacular together in Wheeldon's new The Two of Us set to poignant slices of Joni Mitchell.  Still the highlight for me has to be Lar Lubovitch's duo from Concerto Six Twenty Two here evocatively embraced in Programme 2 by Adrain Danchig-Waring and Joseph Gordon, both NYCB principals as well as life partners.  I remember being at the premiere of the entire work at City Center in the mid-80's.  I certainly recall watching this stunning duet celebrating friendship during the height of the AIDS plague through a vail of tears.  Here - at a time of global pandemic - it was - at least for me - even more searing somehow.  Well worth the two programmes' price which includes the download of the illustrated programme.  

• Like 2

I saw the Jerome Robbins Centenary Exhibition at the NYPL live .... I would highly recommend this unique opportunity - filled will extraordinary items which I found heightened both my interest and awareness in his works - here now offered by this wonderful organisation to the rest of the world free of any charge ...

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/show/voice-of-my-city-jerome-robbins-and-new-york-exhibition-826?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=LPA_Update_20201027&utm_campaign=LPA

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Know there were a few people who remarked here that they enjoyed the Spring PA Ballet (Pennsylvania Ballet) digital season.  They will be having a Director's Choice season (free of any charge) in November but you need to pre-register here.  

Yes, I was one of them Bruce (I think thanks to you reporting their spring season here) and I was so excited when I picked up the email before!  I really fell in love with this company!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Milwaukee Ballet streaming Michael Pink's Dracula!!!!  Many longstanding friends of Northern Ballet have very fond memories of this production:

https://vimeo.com/469873929/5ee47dee00

Thanks very much for this Janet. I'll definitely be watching this. I'm one of the ones who loved this production and prefer it to the more recent one. Brings back fond memories of the great Jeremy Kerridge as Renfield. I still have my plastic coffin with chocolate in it and box of 2 garlic bulbs from 1998 (though I've changed the garlic bulbs a few times!)

• Like 2

On 01/11/2020 at 05:40, Jan McNulty said:

Milwaukee Ballet streaming Michael Pink's Dracula!!!!  Many longstanding friends of Northern Ballet have very fond memories of this production:

https://vimeo.com/469873929/5ee47dee00

Japan's NBA Ballet has this ballet in their repertoire, and they were supposed to perform this summer with guests Ryoichi Hirano as the Dracula and Sarah Lamb. But of course this was sadly cancelled. They did the first act in February with Hirano, and he had such carisma. Hope this one will happen again here. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

Japan's NBA Ballet has this ballet in their repertoire, and they were supposed to perform this summer with guests Ryoichi Hirano as the Dracula and Sarah Lamb. But of course this was sadly cancelled. They did the first act in February with Hirano, and he had such carisma. Hope this one will happen again here. 

Wow!!  I'm sure Ryoichi Hirano would have been splendid in the role.  I do hope they get the chance to perform it.

• Like 5

I've had an email from the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre in Leeds:

http://theatreleeds.com/email/20/10_SABT-Headspace/images/header_01.jpg
spacer.gif
This Friday at 7pm we’ll be sharing an online double bill from HeadSpaceDance
Choreographed by Luca Silvestrini of Luca Silvestrini’s Protein and starring former Northern Ballet dancers Charlotte Broom and Christopher Akrill, After the Interval and Before the Interval were performed at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre in 2012 and 2014.
If you’re missing the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre, this is a great chance to enjoy some exciting dance from the comfort of your own home.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
‘Defying the odds with a philosophy and style of performance unlike any I’ve seen’ 

The Guardian
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
The piece will be available to watch from 7pm on Friday 6 November to Sunday 15 November.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif http://theatreleeds.com/email/20/01_21_spring-brochure/logos.jpg spacer.gif
spacer.gif http://theatreleeds.com/email/19/06-17_autumnbrochure/images/socials_white_01.jpg http://theatreleeds.com/email/19/06-17_autumnbrochure/images/socials_white_02.jpg spacer.gif
spacer.gif

The Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre is located within Northern Ballet's headquarters and is solely owned and run by Northern Ballet. Northern Ballet Theatre Ltd trading as Northern Ballet. Northern Ballet registered charity no 259140, company registration no 947096, VAT no 202 0374 70. All information within this email is correct at the time of publishing. Northern Ballet reserves the right to make changes without prior notice. Header: Photo Urban Jörén
spacer.gif

• Like 2

This came up on Facebook. (I think 7pm UK time)

FACEBOOK LIVE EVENT

To maintain the meeting between its artists and its audience, the Paris Opera, in partnership with Facebook, unveils three creations imagined for the contemporary ballet programme ′′ Créer today ′′ this Friday, November 13 at 20 h on Facebook.

On the agenda:

Eastman-Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui

'Exposure' on Woodkid music

- ′′ What if ′′ by on a music by Guillaume Alric

- Clouds Inside by Tess Voelker on Nick Drake's music

https://www.facebook.com/BalletdelOperadeParis/posts/1510693322452819

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1