alison

Coronavirus lockdown suggestions thread - general

Disney+ is presumably paid for somehow?  Otherwise, I'd be interested to see it.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Disney+ is presumably paid for somehow?  Otherwise, I'd be interested to see it.

Yes, it's a streaming service and costs £5.99 per month.  If you can access it and there is not a contract period I suppose that is not too bad a price to pay for one month to watch it.

San Francisco Ballet’s complete Jan 2020 Opening Night “Spellbound Gala” premieres today at 1pm est (6pm London) and stays up for just a few hours...not even a whole day. It begins & ends with Balanchine and includes a lot of new choreography in between...with a Corsaire pdd and Grand Pas Classique thrown in for good measure!

link to the Gala on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAoVP6N_o0uhnxMsZiIigcA

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeannette said:

San Francisco Ballet’s complete Jan 2020 Opening Night “Spellbound Gala” premieres today at 1pm est (6pm London) and stays up for just a few hours...not even a whole day. It begins & ends with Balanchine and includes a lot of new choreography in between...with a Corsaire pdd and Grand Pas Classique thrown in for good measure!

link to the Gala on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAoVP6N_o0uhnxMsZiIigcA

Thanks so for letting us know about Spellbound, Jeannette.  If you hadn't I would have missed it ... and it really made my day.  So totally refreshing ... Such a glorious mix of styles and music ... It swept along ... with me in total thrall to those stunning dancers' enchantment ... much as they had me transfixed a year ago at the Wells.  So pleased to see they had a capacity audience at their home base.  So wished they could have had the same here  There is no question but that they totally deserved it.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Indeed, a magnificent gala from San Francisco! Love all dancers but...I just can’t get enough of that Yuan-Yuan Tan...in the special intermission piece by Possokhov, then The Bells on stage...dancing with Vitor Luiz ar his farewell (though not announced here).  Was it really Yuan-Yuan’s 25th anniversary with the company? She must have started at age 5!

6 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks for the heads up! 🙂

• Like 1

I hadn’t seen this posted anywhere else...

Composer Oliver Davis’ Facebook announces tonight’s stream of his & choreographer Kit Holder’s ballet Stems, recorded in 2019 at the Linbury Studio of the ROH with four BRB dancers. Q&A will follow.

This is all that I know:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1400245150184759&id=415177545358196

Between this, the ENB Sylphide and the Berlin Staatsballett concert, it’ll be a busy Wednesday. Who said that “Hump Days” are boring?

Edited by Jeannette

4 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I hadn’t seen this posted anywhere else...

Composer Oliver Davis’ Facebook announces tonight’s stream of his & choreographer Kit Holder’s ballet Stems, recorded in 2019 at the Linbury Studio of the ROH with four BRB dancers. Q&A will follow.

This is all that I know:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1400245150184759&id=415177545358196

Between this, the ENB Sylphide and the Berlin Staatsballett concert, it’ll be a busy Wednesday. Who said that “Hump Days” are boring?

Correction- Staatsballett event is on Friday, not today. The other two are today (ENB Sylphide and BRB Stems).

Courtesy of BA .... Excitement from Jacob's Pillow - Such rich diversity of fare ... So looking forward to Limon's The Moor's Pavane  ... and most especially the RDB highlight programme on 30th July ... and more DTH! ... Have itemised the last two below ... 

Jacob's Pillow is starting their Virtual Pillow series next week, which will continue through August 29th.  More information here: https://www.jacobspillow.org/virtual-pillow/

Up for next week (each of these will be the first of a weekly series):

July 7th at 4 pm: Ballet Master Class with Sascha Radetsky

July 9th at 7 pm: Limon Dance Company (Chaconne, The Moor's Pavane, Suite from A Choreographic Offering, Corvidae)--this performance is from the 2018 season

July 10th at 3 pm, Families Dance Together virtual class (continuing weekly at this time through 8/28)

July 12th at 5 pm, PillowTalk with Dr. Shamell Bell (Dartmouth), Street Dance Activism Scholar 

Other upcoming performances include: Circa on 7/16; Ronald K. Brown/Evidence on 7/23, the Royal Danish Ballet on 7/30; Dance Theater of Harlem on 8/6; Bereishit Dance Company on 8/13; Tero Saarinen Company and the Boston Camerata on 8/20; And Still You Must Swing on 8/27.

Upcoming PillowTalks include: Duets from Quebec on 7/17; 50 years of Ballet Hispanico on 7/24; Cleo Parker Robinson's 50th on 7/31; Liz Lerman's Wicked Bodies on 8/7; Dancerly Intelligences on 8/14; La Meri and Her Life in Dance on 8/21; and Black Artists in Dance Today on 8/28

Master classes are from: Ephrat Asherie and Archie Burnett (7/14); Desmond Richardson (7/21); Omarie Wiles (7/28); Virginia Johnson (8/4); Aszure Barton (8/18); and Ami Schulman (8/25)

HERE IS WHAT THE RDB WILL BE DOING ON 30.7  ... CAN'T WAIT ... 

Revered as the world’s third oldest ballet company, the Royal Danish Ballet most recently returned to Jacob’s Pillow for the first time in over a decade to open Festival 2018 in the Ted Shawn Theatre. The company’s Virtual Festival stream features highlights from their 2018 Pillow performance including excerpts from A Folk Tale (pas de sept), La Sylphide (pas de deux), Kermesse in Bruges (1st act, pas de deux), Giselle (2nd Act), and Napoli (pas de six and tarantella).

ALSO HERE IS WHAT DTH WILL BE DOING IN AUGUST --- INCLUDING BALANCHINE'S VALSE FANTAiSIE ... WHEELDON'S PDD 'THIS BITTER EARTH' ... AND OCHA'S CELEBRATORY BALAMOUK 

DANCE THEATRE OF HARLEM

August 6

Dance Theatre of Harlem was founded in 1969 to create a new vision of ballet. Their Virtual Festival program highlights their recent 2019 Pillow performance and includes Darrel Grand Moultrie’s Harlem on My Mind; Christopher Wheeldon’s pas de deux This Bitter Earth; George Balanchine’s classic Valse Fantaisie; and Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Balamouk

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Not a livestream as such but I noticed this version of Don Q on YouTube and wondered if I was allowed to share it. I've only skimmed it so I can't really comment on the quality of the dancing or choreography but it was the vibrant colours and well lit photography that initially attracted me. Also I've never heard of the Company,  Stara Zagora State Opera. Apparently it's Bulgarian.