Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Oh my goodness! Did anyone else watch Liang’s El Viaje and was moved to tears, as was I? A highly emotional journey into the world of a recent émigré in her new land. It’s done in a universal manner to which any imigrant can relate.

I thought it was just sublime and, as you say, very moving - especially the final minute or so.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McNicol Ballet Collective in an original dance film - In Ecstacy

Starring our amazing cast  - William Bracewell, Delia Mathews, Teo Dubreuil, Laurie McSherry-Gray & Giulia Frosi.

We are delighted to announce In Ecstasy has made the official selection for the ChoreoScope Dance Film Festival in Barcelona alongside its previous successes at dance film festivals in Russia, San Francisco, Sans Souri, Portland and Lisbon, significantly expanding the reach and impact of our work. 

Watch here

With Your Support! 

f48910e8-c396-49b8-9805-aba263c5a347.jpe

Thank you to The Linbury Trust and Arts Council England for their vital support and helping us during these difficult and uncertain times.

We acknowledge there will be new challenges ahead however we remain committed to bringing you new and innovative collaborations that are relevant to the times in which we live. We are determined to present our ‘From Life’ programme of four world premieres and we will update you with further news as time allows. 

In the meantime, we have not stood still. MBC has used this opportunity to reflect deeply, recharge and further develop our strategic and future plans. MBC stands for artistic excellence, innovation and creation, with your support we remain committed to delivering on our long term vision in an ambitious, creative and sustainable way. 

If you want to help shape our future and can support us now during these challenging times, please donate below by August 31, 2020 .  Help us by joining our community of supporters who are passionate about bringing new works to life. 

Donate 
https://vimeo.com/435739992?mc_cid=fbd8bc978d&mc_eid=7dd5b96f57

Found a few bits of this impactful.  There are some dancers you will recognise ... Matthew Ball, Benjamin Ella, etc .... I almost didn't recognise Taylor Stanley with his head shaved.  Looks good though.  Nice to see Madison Keesler ... and Lonnie Weeks ... and one of the most beautiful sets to be held 'Aloft' :) .... oh, and a Tango en pointe that is exceedingly well shot.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

3 hours ago, now voyager said:

I attended the premiere of this production 5 years ago and then returned to Phoenix for its return last fall.  I think it's a very good production, truer to Bournonville than the RDB's current production that was streamed earlier during the pandemic, and in particular I find Ib Andersen's second act far more satisfying and far better suited to the ballet.

Oooh, Napoli!  You mean he didn't mess around with Act II like the Schaufuss production?

Must try and see this.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Oooh, Napoli!  You mean he didn't mess around with Act II like the Schaufuss production?

Must try and see this.

I'm afraid I never saw the Schaufuss production (though I did see him dance Gennaro in the RDB's former production), so can' t compare. 

Andersen's second act uses the traditional storyline, which I gather that Schaufuss may have "tweaked."

Edited by now voyager

7 hours ago, alison said:

Must try and see this.

I don’t know about the Schaufuss production but the one who truly messed around with A2 was/is Hubbe, with the modern music,  the bald sea monster Golfo, creepy lighting, etc. As usual, all references to Christianity eliminated...and that was the heart and soul of the Bournonville scene...Teresina grabbing her amulet and flashing it at Golfo to make him disappear...as a famous Christian hymn plays.

Ib Andersen’s Ballet Arizona rented the RDB’s gorgeous traditional sets/costumes when I saw it in February 2015 with a stellar Nayon Iovino as Gennaro and Jillian Barrell as Teresina. Not sure if we’ll see them in the stream.

Edited by Jeannette

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I don’t know about the Schaufuss production but the one who truly messed around with A2 was/is Hubbe, with the modern music,  the bald sea monster Golfo, creepy lighting, etc. As usual, all references to Christianity eliminated...and that was the heart and soul of the Bournonville scene...Teresina grabbing her amulet and flashing it at Golfo to make him disappear...as a famous Christian hymn plays.

I only ever saw LFB/ENB's production once, but my understanding was that Schaufuss had at the very least underplayed the Christian elements of Act II - I don't remember more than the amulet being used as anything other than some sort of magic amulet.

It's always worth keeping an eye on the Today's Link thread which has lots of streaming news and reviews of items that may not be covered in this thread:

It's also worth keeping an eye on this thread, where short films are linked - eg National Ballet of Canada's very poignant Gratitude:

• Like 1

My trouble is that I'm so far behind on the links (of which there are still a surprisingly large number :) ) that I don't always spot them in time.  (I only started on July yesterday!)

On 12/07/2020 at 18:01, Bruce Wall said:

Here is Act I of Napoli in Ib Andersen's production for Ballet Arizona and the Phoenix Symphony available for 24 hours only ... 

I'd left this one "open" in my browser tabs, and to my surprise it still appeared to be available yesterday.  Are you sure it's only for 24 hours, Bruce?

7 minutes ago, alison said:

My trouble is that I'm so far behind on the links (of which there are still a surprisingly large number :) ) that I don't always spot them in time.  (I only started on July yesterday!)

I'd left this one "open" in my browser tabs, and to my surprise it still appeared to be available yesterday.  Are you sure it's only for 24 hours, Bruce?

Not sure.  The other Ballet Arizona outings had been strictly for 24 hours ... so I assumed it would be the same for this.  Maybe it is different with the Phoenix Symphony.  

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

I haven't been able to watch all the links either, just a few that I thought couldn't be missed. One of those I have set my timer for is Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake (with a difference), streamed on 17/07/20

https://youtu.be/b9sA4DEIKkY

I absolutely loved it when I saw it at the Colisseum when ABT visited about three years ago. I was so taken with it that I bought tickets for the next performance!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sim said:

I absolutely loved it when I saw it at the Colisseum when ABT visited about three years ago. I was so taken with it that I bought tickets for the next performance!  

American Ballet Theatre (ABT) dances McKenzie’s version...this must be the Australian Ballet, no?

34 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

American Ballet Theatre (ABT) dances McKenzie’s version...this must be the Australian Ballet, no?

It is indeed. I believe they performed it at London  Colisseum in 2016. Unfortunately I wasn't there, so not seen it yet.

Edited by Stevie
typo

9 hours ago, Naomi M said:

There is no company called Australian Ballet Theatre. 
https://australianballet.com.au/

There is one called Ballet Theatre Australia

www.ballettheatreaustralia.com

But that would be BTA not ABT.

Anyway, the streaming is not them and they are closed for maintenance. If you look at the link below, which is now streaming, all will be revealed.

https://youtu.be/b9sA4DEIKkY

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Stevie said:

Jeannette,  I don't think you are missing anything. Well known idioms, 'You've been had' and 'You've taken the bait'.:D:D

Not fair.  I made a mistake, which you have very publicly corrected.  I was in no way trying to catch Jeannette out, or feed her any bait.  To suggest that I have is disingenuous and wrong.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Not fair.  I made a mistake, which you have very publicly corrected.  I was in no way trying to catch Jeannette out, or feed her any bait.  To suggest that I have is disingenuous and wrong.  

All good 'banter', which I cannot pretend that I didn't enjoy. No one damaged, but never claimed it was fair and far be it for me to attempt to correct a moderator.:D. Enjoy the streaming.

Edited by Stevie
missing text

Back to my usual alerts on upcoming new streams of rarities:

Dance Theatre of Harlem (DTH) - I think that’s the name 😉 - begins to stream a new title in its summer series: Nacho Duato’s Coming Together. As of 8pm EST today.

Info:

https://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/dthondemandvirtualballetseries/

Link to DTH’s Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5gb-8rQWU6jGJIfe60DJg

(You might also still be able to catch, via this link, their 50th-Anniversary gala at the Guggenheim Museum....it was still up this morn.)

Just in case the people who don't make regular visits to the Reviews forum might miss it.  In the Dance Magazine obit for Zizi Jeanmaire there is an extract from the Hans Christian Andersen film - with Danny Kaye - in which Jeanmaire dances a pas de deux with Eric Bruhn.  It has Russian dubbed dialogue at the very end - so goodness knows what the source was!  I did see the film, but it was long before I had 'seen the light' and I have no memory at all of any dance content - just of Danny Kaye.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm365 said:

Just in case the people who don't make regular visits to the Reviews forum might miss it.  In the Dance Magazine obit for Zizi Jeanmaire there is an extract from the Hans Christian Andersen film - with Danny Kaye - in which Jeanmaire dances a pas de deux with Eric Bruhn.  It has Russian dubbed dialogue at the very end - so goodness knows what the source was!  I did see the film, but it was long before I had 'seen the light' and I have no memory at all of any dance content - just of Danny Kaye.  

Here's a link to the relevant forum: