Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

At last a piece much more emblematic of Justin Peck's NYCB balletic house 'community' style - of which there are now a considerable number.  Here is his Heatscape, made for and here performed by Miami City Ballet.  Enjoy.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reflecting on yesterday’s “Quadruple Bill” of offerings:

Heatscape - Miami - my kind of Peck! Saw on tour a couple of years ago but even more beautiful on film. Excellent composition, pleasantly designed, capturing the essence of Miami.

Bjork - San Fsco - What a great work, despite the bizarreness of it all. Arthur Pita is a true innovator! In some ways, it reminded me of Japanese noh, eg, the fisherman in the corner. Gorgeous music, too.

Concert for Flute and Harp - Stuttgart - Exquisite! Top prize of the day! Most beautiful, most fascinating ballet I’ve seen for male corps. How this gem has been hidden away in Stuttgart all of these years is beyond my comprehension. 

...and then, because no one day can be perfect on this earth, there was...

Waiting at the Station - PNB Seattle  - What a big dark mess! Too many layers of dancers. Too much going on! How did the two married couples fit in to the story? So much made of Santo Loquasto’s costumes but it didn’t matter because of the darkness. Only the three golden girls - the fates - allowed the viewers brains to relax. So many great dancers, barely viewable. Hate to say it but I was so happy to see that train chugging up the stage at the end! 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3

Today, for only 24 hours, as of 12 noon eastern: 

Ballet Arizona in another wonderful site-specific ballet by AD Ib Andersen - Eroica, to Beethoven, danced in the Desert Botanical Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5ypYPG5v1rd-bukupmtA

And another one of Andersen’s desert ballets, Round, to an assortment of composers (Ravel, Debussy, etc)  comes next week (June 21).

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 10:27, Jeannette said:

Concert for Flute and Harp - Stuttgart - Exquisite! Top prize of the day! Most beautiful, most fascinating ballet I’ve seen for male corps. How this gem has been hidden away in Stuttgart all of these years is beyond my comprehension. 

Thank you Jeannette for your reviews, I would not have watched this without your recommendation and I thought it was very good I could really 'see the music'.

My pleasure, Janite! :) Between this and the recently-streamed Initials R.B.M.E., I come out of this unusual season with a heightened appreciation of John Cranko beyond what we all previously knew about him as a creator of full-evening dramatic works. I’d love to know what else he may have created during his Stuttgart years in the neoclassical (pure dance) style!

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 08:02, Bruce Wall said:

Here's the link to Arthur Pita's Bjork Ballet - yet another piece in the fascinating fabric that was SFB's Unbound Festival

Björk songs: “Overture”, “All Is Full of Love”, “You’ve Been Flirting Again” “Bachelorette”, “Vokuro”, “Frosti”, “The Gate”, “Hyperballad”, and “Anchor Song”

Well that was stunning! Think I enjoyed seeing again as much, if not more, than at Sadlers Wells. Terrific stuff 🙂

• Like 1

A new date/time for the delayed SAB Celebration (SAB = School of American Ballet) presentation ...

The Virtual Workshop Celebration has a new date! Please join us on Thursday, July 9 at 7PM ET (midnight UK time) at sab.org, Facebook, or Youtube for the Live Premiere of this special evening. The Celebration is free to watch and will be available beginning on Thursday, July 9 until Monday, July 13 at 7PM ET. We hope you will tune in to celebrate the School and our talented students.

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Well that was stunning! Think I enjoyed seeing again as much, if not more, than at Sadlers Wells. Terrific stuff 🙂

Wish I had seen San Francisco Ballet's Bjork Ballet live.  It is absolutely stunning on film!  Some of the imagery is just breath-taking and Pita uses quite a large group of dancers intricately and interestingly.  I thought the costumes were gorgeous and really enhanced the work along with the very effective lighting.

• Like 1

The Washington Ballet (Julie Kent, A.D.) presents its “Center Stage” Virtual Gala this Thursday, 18 June, at 7pm Eastern US time, via its YouTube channel. While details of any ballets or excerpts to be performed are sketchy, Facebook posts hint at a connection with the 20th anniversary of the famous ballet movie Center Stage, in which Julie Kent played a featured role. So will Ethan Stiefel ride in on a motorcycle? 😎

Info from TWB’s Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158409567806692&id=43875516691

Sneak-peak photos here...those red dresses from the film:

https://www.facebook.com/TheWashingtonBallet/posts/10158409567806692/

Watch via this Link to TWB’s Youtube Page:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ebyzsvXM4

Edited by Jeannette

A change has been announced:

Lincoln Center at Home’s June 22 stream of a 1978 Live From Lincoln Center broadcast of New York City Ballet performing George Balanchine and Alexandra Danilov’s full-length production of Coppélia will be replaced with a stream consisting of the third act of Coppélia only, preceded by three highlights from the 2004 Live From Lincoln Center Broadcast of the Balanchine 100 Centennial Celebration: 

• Balanchine’s Brahams-Schoenberg Quartet (fourth movement) with Wendy Whelan and Damian Woetzel; 
  • Concerto Barocco with Maria Kowroski, Rachel Rutherford, and James Fayette; 
  • “The Man I Love” pas de deux from Who Cares? with Alexandra Ansanelli, Nilas Martins and featuring a special performance of the Gershwin score by Wynton Marsalis. 
The decision was made by New York City Ballet and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts not to show the complete Coppélia after reviewing the footage from the 1978 Live From Lincoln Center broadcast.

Pennsylvania Ballet (PAB) - now headed by Angel Corella - has announced the following - 

JOIN US FOR OUR FIRST DIGITAL SEASON

Experience the best of Pennsylvania Ballet, from your couch! Over ten days, we present nine full performances of classical and contemporary ballets, along with discussions with our artists and more.

All events are free on Vimeo, but you will need password to access the videos. Since you're on our email list, we will be sending the password and links to you, but please share this email with anyone who'd like to join us, so that they can register. While you are free to share this email, we ask that you do not share the links or password for festival videos.

PROGRAMME - 

pab-world-premiers-19-3376-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Connection

choreography

Juliano Nunes

music

Ezio Bosso

Available June 19 - 26

pab-don-q-19-1244-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Don Quixote

choreography

Angel Corella (after Petipa)

music

Ludwig Minkus

Available June 20 - July 20

episode31-artists-4-600x400.jpg

Episode 31

choreography

Alexander Ekman

music

Mikael Karlsson, Ane Brun & Erik Satie

Available June 21 - 28

pab-world-premiers-19-3816-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

A Trace of Inevitability

choreography

Yin Yue

music

Michel Banabila

Available June 22 - 29

reaction-215-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Rubies

choreography

George Balanchine

music

Igor Stravinsky

Available June 23 - 25

pab-giselle-19-897-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Giselle

choreography

Angel Corella
(after Jean Coralli & Jules Perrot)

music

Adolphe Adam

Available June 24 - July 24

pab-trigger-touch-fade-144-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Trigger Touch Fade

choreography

Jorma Elo

music

Franz Joseph Haydn & J.S. Bach

Available June 25 - July 2

pab-glass-pieces-406-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Glass Pieces

choreography

Jerome Robbins

music

Philip Glass

Available June 26 - July 3

dixon-157974-f-wp-content-uploads-2017-09-640697-315b2487f13f402-1-1200x800-600x400.jpg

I AM

documentary directed by

Glenn Holstein

featuring

Artists of Pennsylvania Ballet II with Students of St. Katherine's School

Available June 27 - July 4

pab-dgv-19-591-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

D.G.V.

choreography

Christopher Wheeldon

music

Michael Nyman

Available June 28 - July 5

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Not ballet - (well, not unless you are perhaps a particular Mad Hatter) - but certainly 'dance' - Still, you might enjoy this:  The Kennedy Center has put up on their website this clip of the late GREAT Gregory Hines celebrating Gene Kelly on the occasion of the receipt of his (i.e., Kelly's) Kennedy Center Honour in 1982.  (It dates itself by seeing Cary Grant and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in the audience.) .... Anyone who was lucky enough to have been able to see this man, e.g., Hines, on stage will definitely know he was up there with Kelly ... and Fred Astaire!  Sadly he - like Bujones - died far, FAR too young - but still the memory lingers ... happily.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Pennsylvania Ballet (PAB) - now headed by Angel Corella - has announced the following -

pab-dgv-19-591-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

D.G.V.

choreography

Christopher Wheeldon

music

Michael Nyman

Available June 28 - July 5

I shall look forward to seeing DGV again - even though I don't like the revised costumes nearly as much as the originals.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 16:45, Jeannette said:

The Washington Ballet (Julie Kent, A.D.) presents its “Center Stage” Virtual Gala this Thursday, 18 June, at 7pm Eastern US time, via its YouTube channel. While details of any ballets or excerpts to be performed are sketchy, Facebook posts hint at a connection with the 20th anniversary of the famous ballet movie Center Stage, in which Julie Kent played a featured role. So will Ethan Stiefel ride in on a motorcycle? 😎

Info from TWB’s Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158409567806692&id=43875516691

Sneak-peak photos here...those red dresses from the film:

https://www.facebook.com/TheWashingtonBallet/posts/10158409567806692/

Watch via this Link to TWB’s Youtube Page:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ebyzsvXM4

Reminder...The Washington Ballet’s Center Stage Virtual Gala begins in about one hour. The Youtube photo with countdown is up!🥰

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:34, Jane S said:

Dance Theatre of Harlem announce an on-demand series, starting with their famous 'Creole' Giselle - some background features to start with and then the full ballet on Sat 6th June. This really is a 'must see' production!

And a "must re-see" production!  I've just finished rewatching Act I, and have to say that I really loved Giselle's mother!  Actually, the mime/acting is very good generally - clear and believable, rather more so than in a number of recent productions that I've seen.  And it was good to see Judy Tyrus again, dancing the peasant pas de deux, too.  Will have to catch Act II again tomorrow before it goes offline. 

Good news - the RDB has added Rubies to their streaming list

Bad news - they appear to have put a geoblock on their entire streaming collection.

Let's hope it's temporary - please post if you can still see any of their items outside Denmark!

San Francisco Ballet is reshuffling it’s previously-announced streaming Schedule. After Bjork Ballet ends this morning, they’ll go dark for a week. 

June 26: the postponed “Director’s Choice” program of Tomasson and Wheeldon works...in place of the JAN 2020 Spellbound Gala, which will be streamed later this summer,  to be announced.

https://www.sfballet.org/sf-ballet-home/

Also streaming this weekend, on Sunday, is another of Ib Andersen’s unique desert ballets for Ballet Arizona: Round. They’re usually up for only one day, usually on this Youtube site:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5ypYPG5v1rd-bukupmtA

Edited by Jeannette

1 minute ago, Jane S said:

Bad news - they appear to have put a geoblock on their entire streaming collection.

Let's hope it's temporary - please post if you can still see any of their items outside Denmark!

Oh, I loved their Emeralds. Hope that I can still see their offerings.

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

Most strange, especially as you can watch the highlight video on all three of their 2017 Jewels segments immediately below here ... with no problem at all ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Very much enjoyed Connection, replete - as it is - with some exquisite ensemble choreography by Nunes for the PAB Company.  It was clear just how much thought had gone into the placement of this ballet at the top of the ten day Festival as not only did it clearly celebrate yesterday's critical date but it was also a glorious introduction to these fine dancers.  I would very much like to see this piece live one day.