Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/05/2020 at 17:56, Janite said:

Shobana Jeyasingh Dance plans to premiere a video on Facebook

Created exclusively for our online audience, ‘SJD Shorts’ will present specially chosen excerpts from our rich catalogue, each one personally introduced by Shobana. The first of these will feature Faultline, live on Facebook on Sunday 17 May at 7pm (BST). Guardian dance critic Sanjoy Roy will be quizzing Shobana about this much acclaimed piece, which made it into the top ten dance works in the UK when it was first premiered.

“It’s a piece you can watch over and over again, and always see something new” The Guardian

“Created in 2007, Faultline was a response to the 2005 London bombings and the spotlight it threw on young Asians. The angst, coolness and swagger that I found in Gautam Malkani's book 'Londonstani' was a source of inspiration." Shobana Jeyasingh

on now for a week

5 hours ago, Sim said:

A massive thank you to all of you who keep posting up these gems past and present.  I can't tell you how appreciated it is.

yes echoed here, thank you it has helped me tremendously in lockdown.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sim said:

I really enjoyed it, but agree with Jeanette that a bit of camera angle variety would be welcome.  I love the wide angle for the corps work (which was excellent) but some close-ups during the pas de deux wouldn't have gone amiss. 

You have to bear in mind that these were never filmed with an eye to showing them to the public, but as an archive for the ballet company, using the tools that were available to them, which for most companies will be one camera at the back of a (in some cases as in Phoenix's Symphony Hall) very large theatre.  Ballet Arizona is a small regional company that doesn't have the resources to put a whole film crew into their theatre. We're lucky to have what they can give us and I think we should stop complaining about camera angles that should be better.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, toursenlair said:

You have to bear in mind that these were never filmed with an eye to showing them to the public, but as an archive for the ballet company, using the tools that were available to them, which for most companies will be one camera at the back of a (in some cases as in Phoenix's Symphony Hall) very large theatre.  Ballet Arizona is a small regional company that doesn't have the resources to put a whole film crew into their theatre. We're lucky to have what they can give us and I think we should stop complaining about camera angles that should be better.

I am not complaining, just giving my opinion.  And if the company decides to show a company film to the public (which I very much appreciate that they have), then it is our prerogative to pass comments.  It might have been helpful for them to indicate at the beginning that it was not filmed originally to be shown to the public, then we might not have had the temerity to  make a slight criticism.  How is the viewer who just clicks the link supposed to know that it was filmed as a company record? I had no idea.  

• Like 1

I have just watched Shobana Jeyasingh Dance perform Faultline.

A modern and thought provoking performance, excellently done. Also Shobana Jeyasingh is interviewed and there is a short bit at the end where one of the dancers talks about creating the piece, in what I thought was a most intelligent way. All in all brilliant, the only drawback is that it can only be accessed through face book and it's on 'till Saturday.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 20:08, Janite said:

A modern and thought provoking performance, excellently done. Also Shobana Jeyasingh is interviewed and there is a short bit at the end where one of the dancers talks about creating the piece, in what I thought was a most intelligent way. All in all brilliant, the only drawback is that it can only be accessed through face book and it's on 'till Saturday.

Just worked out how to link to a facebook post so here it is. Starts at 2.05 ( till Saturday I think)

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

Janite, thank you so much for all your suggestions, many of which I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you Jan, 

I would say that back to you and many in this forum. I have been helped a lot in this time of lockdown by watching ballet that I would not have come across if it had not been for the suggestions and comments of people here. I am very grateful.

• Like 4

You may wish to check this out prior to posting.

I see that Winter Dreams is being streamed by Perm on 23rd May at 15:00. See attached.

https://youtu.be/X-WgKbOSZE4

I wont try to speculate whether this is in breach, I wouldn't know how to check.

I prefer to watch a complete ballet, rather than watch related interviews or documentaries and Perm, as well as a few others have been appearing regularly.

The NYCB has been putting on a regular schedule of twice per week and my favourite was Pulcinella Variations.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I wont try to speculate whether this is in breach, I wouldn't know how to check.

Oversimplification perhaps but the "Jewels" was an ROH production not posted by the ROH (or Naxos who now own the rights I believe) so probably in breech....

The one you cite is posted by the Perm Opera Ballet Theatre so likely legitimate and many thanks for posting it !!

Edited by oncnp

A special toast from Makarova on the 40th Anniversary of the opening of her production of La Bayadere at ABT in 1980.  There are some clips from the live television relay (Makarova/Dowell) of the first act as that was all she actually danced.  She had done the opening performance - and that would prove to be the only full performance of her production that she actually danced. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Fernando Montaño (Soloist at the Royal Ballet) sent me some information about a performance he is doing at the Hay Festival at 8.30pm UKT on 22 May.  It looks interesting:

https://www.hayfestival.com/p-16753-fernando-montano.aspx

You need to register for free via this link:

https://www.hayfestival.com/p-16753-fernando-montano.aspx

(looks like the same one!)

• Like 2

just come across this. dates in the link below

'Audiences can now give their regards to Broadway from the comfort of home with Broadway On Demand, a new streaming service that launched last week. The service will feature both pre-recorded performances and ongoing series, including our very own Principal Dancer Tiler Peck's "Turn It Out With Tiler" Monday-Saturday class series.'

For more information visit broadwayondemand.com.

https://www.playbill.com/article/new-streaming-service-broadway-on-demand-adds-allegiance-tiler-peck-and-frankie-james-grande-series-more-to-slate?fbclid=IwAR3rSXpzdYn62-1QIky-VUENfwJdQc5EaUTS_stuzyT9wuIEXfzLdtn3iLE

Edited by Janite

Japan's NBA Ballet with their Swan Lake (choreographed by A.D. Koichi Kubo with assistance of Naoya Homan) 

Odette/Odile is Momoko Hirata of Birmingham Royal Ballet.

A pity the camera is remote but with an interesting storyline。In the prologue, Rothbart was in love with Odette but he murders her and her lover Siegfried out of jealousy and she is born again as a Swan, and Siegfried (also born again) reunited at the lakeside. Rothbart becomes a doomed creature.

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 20:08, Janite said:

Hi Janite.  ToThePointe blog did a nice interview with Shobana Jeyasingh in 2017.  There are many other interesting articles and interviews on the site:

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2017/04/21/BBC-Young-Dancer-2017-To-The-Pointe-Interviews-Shobana-Jeyasingh

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sim said:

Hi Janite.  ToThePointe blog did a nice interview with Shobana Jeyasingh in 2017.  There are many other interesting articles and interviews on the site:

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2017/04/21/BBC-Young-Dancer-2017-To-The-Pointe-Interviews-Shobana-Jeyasingh

Thank you, this is wonderful. Shobana is such an interesting person and I love how she advises dancers to take an interest in life, politics, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

National Ballet of Japan will stream MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet from Friday, May 29th. 

Ayako Ono and Yudai Fukuoka are in the leads (some might remember them in Birmingham Royal Ballet's Aladdin and Prince of the Pagodas)

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/release/detail/23_017336.html

I do indeed remember seeing them in BRB's Aladdin.  They were fabulous!!

• Like 1

Official press release from Northern Ballet about Dracula being screened this coming Sunday 31/05

A close up of a logo  Description automatically generated

Friday 22 May 2020

Northern Ballet’s Dracula to be aired on 

BBC Four on Sunday 31 May at 10pm

1658778960_JavierTorresasDraculaandAntoinetteBrooks-DawasLucyinDracula(4)-photoEmmaKauldhar.thumb.jpg.471bc09554f63448c7beed3fe8b369f1.jpg  

David Nixon OBE’s Dracula will be shown on BBC Four on Sunday 31 May and BBC iPlayerthroughout June as part of their popular Pay As You Feel Digital Season. After sell-out live performances and an live international cinema relay last October, this adaptation of Bram Stoker’s classic will make its television debut at 10pm.

northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel 

When theatres closed in March as a result of COVID-19 restrictions, Northern Ballet, along with the rest of the theatre industry, was severely impacted, obliged to cancel their spring tour after just one performance. In response, the Company pledged to keep bringing world-class ballet to their audiences through a new Pay As You Feel Digital Season. To date the season has been watched by over 200,000 people and attracted donations of over £20,000.

The Company is set to face a loss of over £1M in box office income due to COVID-19 which may impact their ability to continue to pay their workforce, many of whom are freelancers, as well as their ability to present new ballets. Whilst theatres remain dark, the Company aims to continue making their performances available online and on TV, encouraging audiences to donate when they watch, if they are able. Those who wish to support the Company can donate at northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

Dracula was recorded at Leeds Playhouse on Halloween 2019 and streamed live to over 10,000 viewers in cinemas across Europe. Choreographed by David Nixon OBE, it stars Premier Dancer Javier Torres in the lead role.

614627875_AntoinetteBrooks-DawasLucyinDracula(1)-photoEmmaKauldhar.thumb.jpg.00a72115eb879a05a140608ca011a572.jpg

Northern Ballet’s Pay As You Feel Digital Season also includes Amaury Lebrun’s For An Instant;Kenneth Tindall’s original dance film EGO, Mariana Rodrigues’ Little Red Riding Hood; highlights from Northern Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Celebration Gala and extended scenes from across the Northern Ballet repertoire including Kenneth Tindall’s Geisha.

Premièred in 2019, Amaury Lebrun’s For An Instant was part of Northern Ballet’s Three Short Balletsprogramme and had just seven performances across Leeds and Doncaster. The full ballet created,by the award-winning contemporary dance maker with Northern Ballet’s versatile performers, is available to watch online until 7 June.

Highlights from their 50th Anniversary Celebration Gala, which was performed at Leeds Grand Theatre in January include scenes from Kenneth Tindall’s Casanova, with music by Kerry Muzzey,and David Nixon OBE’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. More will be released from this one-night only spectacular which, alongside Northern Ballet, featured dancers from The Royal Ballet, Joffrey Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Phoenix Dance Theatre and Scottish Ballet. 

To find out more about Northern Ballet’s Pay As You Feel Digital Season, please visit northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

-ENDS-

About Northern Ballet

In 2020 Northern Ballet is celebrating its 50th Anniversary.

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 43 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.  

A screenshot of a cell phone  Description automatically generated

Javier Torres as Dracula and Antoinette Brookes Daw as Lucy - Photos:  Emma Kauldhar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I do indeed remember seeing them in BRB's Aladdin.  They were fabulous!!

I am very happy to hear this. I had an opportunity to interview Yudai Fukuoka, and he indeed recalled dancing in Birmingham a very happy memory. One day after his performance he was walking down the streets of Birmingham when a local person came up to him and told that the person enjoyed his performance very much. 

He was very happy about that memory as these kind of things don't happen in Japan. 

Here is the English guide page to this streaming. It will be available for a week. 

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/news/all/nntt-at-home.html

• Like 2