Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Perm Ballet in a somewhat different version of Cinderella, partially set in a rehearsal studio it seems ... The local audience certainly appears to enjoy it ... 

This was a very different and well-made Cinderella, very different from the original Cinderella tale, it reflects the dark history of Soviet in the 1950's, where a ballerina was accused as a spy and transferred  to Perm from Moscow.  

Storyline

https://permopera.ru/en/playbills/repertoire/68370/

Edited by Naomi M
added the link to the synopsis
  • Like 1

Further details of the Lincoln Center Dance Week Celebrations are here (includes the Baryshnikov/Kirkland T&V and Makarova/Bujones in the DQ PDD - hopefully a broadcast quality recording) ... and Alvin Ailey dancers in Chroma ... plus the original cast of Balanchine's Coppelia, the divine Patricia McBride aside Helgi Tomasson (now SFB AD) ... 

Saturday, May 30 at 2:00pm ET
fq3j6mceaploze6rr29h

Ballet Hispánico will “whisk us away to contemporary dance’s hottest spot“ (Washington Post) in this showcase of Latin-inspired contemporary dance at its best.

Add to Calendar 
Saturday, May 30 at 8:00pm ET
gj2x8sdlacxsnftikluw

George Balanchine’s enchanting ballet based on Shakespeare’s comedy comes to magical life in this 1986 Live From Lincoln Center broadcast with the New York City Ballet.

Add to Calendar 
Sunday, May 31 at 8:00pm ET
ez9urtjz8dyp71tftfo5

An evening of repertory includes the Act III Grand Pas de Deux of Don Quixote, Fokine’s Les Sylphides, Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, and Fokine’s Firebird.

Add to Calendar 
Monday, June 1 at 7:00pm ET
ghlnpxzkvcyhgruijbkx

Outstanding highlights of SAB’s annual Workshop Performances, with commentary from the school’s leaders, faculty, and distinguished alumni Justin Peck and Maria Kowroski.

Add to Calendar 
Tuesday, June 2 at 8:00pm ET
iobm4q9sunhklyocczne

George Balanchine’s and Alexandra Danilova’s comic ballet, with music by Léo Delibes, centers on a mechanical girl with whom the hero falls in love.

Add to Calendar 
Wednesday, June 3 at 8:00pm ET
mxtm568n0wjtbeso6cjh

A month after the great George Balanchine passed away, New York City Ballet threw this loving tribute to its co-founder, with dances set to Strauss, Tchaikovsky, and Gershwin.

Add to Calendar 
Thursday, June 4 at 8:00pm ET
ftamwsqziqy5l14gmfjm

Witness a masterpiece of American dance, Alvin Ailey’s Revelations, in a program including Wayne McGregor’s  Chroma, Ronald K.  Brown’s  Grace, and Robert Battle’s  Takademe.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

As this thread was getting rather bloated, I've filtered out some more of the more frequently-contributing companies into their own threads: Pacific Northwest Ballet, Perm Ballet and so on.  Do let me know if I've missed any earlier posts relating to them.

• Like 1

It boggles the mind! Imagine, I purchased my first SONY Betamax to record some of these titles when I was a university undergrad. Now I’m so hoping to rewatch some of these treasures in a clear, sharp state.  Not to trivialize the sad Pandemic but I’m feeling like a kid in a candy shop these days. PNB Giselle...Initials RBME...all of the current NYCB films...San Fco Ballet...ENB...now this?! 🥳

Ballet Arizona (the same troupe that brought you the recent stream of La Sonnambula and whose director is the former NYCB principal, Ib Andersen) will stream George Balanchine’s Square Dance on Sunday, 17th May 2020, starting at 9AM PDT (or 5pm local UK time), lasting for 24 hours only here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

One of the highlights of the Covid 19 Intermission for me thus far has been finding this clip of Bujones (then still a student at SAB - which was when I first saw him) rehearsing the Swan Lake PDT with - are you ready - Balanchine (a guest) and Danilova (on the SAB staff).  Ah, the memories that come flooding back through the mists of time ... The clip is here .... replete with all that 70's hair!!  

In the same collection you can find Haydee and Cragen (my first Romeo and Juliet - and still, for me, the finest) ... dancing Cranko's Legende here.  

There a more delights to be discovered therein. 

(I know, I know ... I'm OLD ... :) ) ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

One of the highlights of the Covid 19 Intermission for me thus far has been finding this clip of Bujones (when still a student at SAB - which was when I first saw him) rehearsing the Swan Lake PDT with - are you ready - Balanchine (a guest) and Danilova (on the SAB staff).  Ah, the memories that come flooding back through the mists of time ... The clip is here .... replete with all that 70's hair!!  

In the same collection you can find Haydee and Cragen (my first Romeo and Juliet - and still, for me, the finest) ... dancing Cranko's Legende here.  

There a more delights to be discovered therein. 

(I know, I know ... I'm OLD ... :) ) ... 

Wonderful. Thank you Bruce !

12 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thank you so much, Bruce - how wonderful! I could watch her arms forever...

• Like 1

Well, just saw the Arizona Square Dance.  Hmmm, too bad that, unlike most house cams, Arizona’s lacks a zoom lens. We know that, 25 years ago, NYCB filmed every ballet with two cameras - one long shot and one medium shot. Now, even NYCB uses zoom. Sorry but seeing a ballet through only long shot lens is headache inducing. Shame because the Arizona corps seemed to be moving beautifully. 

It also irks me that Arizona doesn’t bother to preface each film with simple credits. How about title, choreographer, composer and (at least) names of the two leads? They did the same with Sonnambula last week.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

It also irks me that Arizona doesn’t bother to preface each film with simple credits. How about title, choreographer, composer and (at least) names of the two leads? They did the same with Sonnambula last week.

They have posted the following details on their YouTube page:

"Ballet Arizona first performed George Balanchine's Square Dance in our 2017 All Balanchine program. Square Dance combines the spirit and verve of an American folk dance with the precision and technique of classical ballet. This energetic and lively ballet is set to the music of Antonio Vivaldi and Arcangelo Correlli."

Also, Fiddleback has been kind enough to post casting details and extra credits on Ballet Alert:

"Staged by Ben Huys

Lighting Design Michael Korsch

This was the lead off of the 2019 All Balanchine program; it was accompanied by Emeralds and Theme and Variations.

Casting (all Company members; no Studio Company members):

Amber Lewis, Nayon Iovino

Rochelle Anvik, Colleen Buckley,  Kaelyn Magee, Abby Philips Maginity, Alison Remmers, Ana Maria Spear

Serafin Castro, Adrian Durham, Jackson Dwyer, Erick Garnica, Alberto Penalver, Ricardo Santos."

Edited by Bluebird

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Balanchine’s SQUARE DANCE streaming now, only for 24 hours, via Ballet Arizona.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5ypYPG5v1rd-bukupmtA

Thanks for posting this - I enjoyed it enormously.

Yes, the constant wide angle wasn't ideal, but its such a pleasure to watch ballet without having to peer through the gloom, or against the gimmicks and gadgets, that blight so much modern choreography. Probably why I enjoy watching Balanchine's works so much! 🙂

• Like 2

It was great to see Square Dance again, so many characteristically Balanchinean choreographic passages, although it was a bit sedately danced in places- and I wish Balanchine had't got rid of the Caller, it used to add a special flavour to the piece.

The Arizona company has given us some special ballets. One aspect that is special to this lockdown streaming is that it has given us a chance to watch a wider range of ballets from the masters than what we usually can see. For instance, many British ballet goers will think of Balanchine's work as almost entirely non-narrative, with the exception of Prodigal Son. But Arizona gave us Sonnambula (only older ballet goers will recall seeing it as Night Shadow with LFB) and Lincoln Center Dance Week will be showing his Coppelia, which Danilova helped him produce (I saw Patricia McBride in it, she was , as ever, joyous, well worth catching) and Paris Opera Ballet gave us his Midsummer Night's Dream.

Contrariwise, many of us think of Cranko as purely creating narrative ballets- Onegin, Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, Pineapple Poll. The chance to see Initials RBME has enlightened us, revealing his talent for pure dance work.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

It was great to see Square Dance again, so many characteristically Balanchinean choreographic passages, although it was a bit sedately danced in places- and I wish Balanchine had't got rid of the Caller, it used to add a special flavour to the piece.

Lovely notations, Sheila, as ever ... 

The first four times I saw Square Dance were with the Caller.  Balanchine stopped this after the original Caller died.   No two performances were ever the same in terms of the exact narrative - apart from the beginning and end - and interim bits.  He would make different rhymes up for the names of the different dancers.  He always seemed to do it off the top of his head.  I once saw him do it twice in the same day and he had me chortling both times!!  Here is a film with the original cast - including the wonderful Patricia Wilde - and the Caller.  Shockingly this was filmed ON A CONCRETE FLOOR!!!  You can see Magallanes protecting himself.  Who can blame him?  It was a different time; a different world.  

Sadly I never saw Patricia Wilde dance - but did hear her speak and watch her coach a few times.  She was so wonderfully strong; a mighty exemplar of the balletic art form.  Here is a film made about her when she retired as Artistic Director of Pennsylvania Ballet.  (A bit of trivia - She coached Susan Jaffe, then an ABT principal, in Balanchine when Wilde was a Ballet Mistress at that same Company as she was for 15 years ... NOW the same Susan Jaffe is about to take over as AD of PA Ballet.  It's a small world anyhow.)  In this tribute film you get to see yet another role Pat Wilde originated for Balanchine - That in his Raymonda Variations.   Here also is an article about Pat Wilde from 2016 when she was 88.  What a whirlwind.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Thanks for posting this - I enjoyed it enormously.

Yes, the constant wide angle wasn't ideal, but its such a pleasure to watch ballet without having to peer through the gloom, or against the gimmicks and gadgets, that blight so much modern choreography. Probably why I enjoy watching Balanchine's works so much! 🙂

Thats true, zxDaveM. Better than overhead-cam gimmicks! AND it’s not the old version with the “dance caller” and on-stage fiddlers. :) 

[Just saw Bruce’s mention of the caller. The Joffrey danced that version at the Kennedy Center about 20 yrs ago...made new rhymes about “Billy Clinton” and such!]

While I don’t have the link at my fingertips, I see that BalletAriz’s next online offering will be the rarely-seen Symphony in Three Movements. Yeah!

Edited by Jeannette

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Lovely notations, Sheila, as ever ... 

The first four times I saw Square Dance were with the Caller.  Balanchine stopped this after the original Caller died.   No two performances were ever the same in terms of the exact narrative - apart from the beginning and end - and interim bits.  He would make different rhymes up for the names of the different dancers.  He always seemed to do it off the top of his head.  I once saw him do it twice in the same day and he had me chortling both times!!  Here is a film with the original cast - including the wonderful Patricia Wilde - and the Caller.  Shockingly this was filmed ON A CONCRETE FLOOR!!!  You can see Magallanes protecting himself.  Who can blame him?  It was a different time; a different world.  

Sadly I never saw Patricia Wilde dance - but did hear her speak and watch her coach a few times.  She was so wonderfully strong; a mighty exemplar of the balletic art form.  Here is a film made about her when she retired as Artistic Director of Pennsylvania Ballet.  (A bit of trivia - She coached Susan Jaffe, then an ABT principal, in Balanchine when Wilde was a Ballet Mistress at that same Company as she was for 15 years ... NOW the same Susan Jaffe is about to take over as AD of PA Ballet.  It's a small world anyhow.)  In this tribute film you get to see yet another role Pat Wilde originated for Balanchine - That in his Raymonda Variations.   Here also is an article about Pat Wilde from 2016 when she was 88.  What a whirlwind.  

Pat Wilde was the AD of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (NOT Pennsylvania Ballet, a quite different company which is based in Philadelphia), and it is also Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre that Susan Jaffe will head as of July 1.

I did see Wilde dance, and she was one of my favorites in that era, but I had quite a few favorites back then!

6 minutes ago, now voyager said:

Oh, dear ... Right state ... wrong city ... I did know that ...  That was what I meant.  Just being sloppy ... Mea culpa ... and thanks for the correction.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Bavarian State Ballet announces a new creation by German choreographer Dustin Klein, it will be streamed live today for the Monday Concert at the National Theatre and is available as video on demand for two weeks from 20. May.

The concert evening is dedicated to Clara and Robert Schumann, it starts with songs by Schumann and Jaques Ibert. The dance will begin after 30 min. Klein creates two solos for Kristina Lind and Henry Grey, she embodies young Clara Schumann, he is Robert Schumann. Klein, who has a perfect sense for comical and grotesque choreography, promises to remain rather classical for this sujet.

Osiel Gouneo, Jeanette Kakareka and Dmitrii Vyskubenko will participate in the next Monday concert on 25. May with solos from the ballet repertoire.

Monday Concerts at the National Theatre Munich at 20.15 CET on https://www.staatsoper.de/tv.html

From 13. June, the Bavarian State Ballet will show a gala that was recorded in 2017 at the Prinzregententheater in Munich, with Prisca Zeisel in Swan Lake, Ksenia Ryzhkova in Raymonda, Ivy Amista and Osiel Gouneo in Don Quijote. The gala will be online for two weeks at https://www.staatsoper.de/tv.html

• Like 2

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productioninfo/7-montagskonzert/2020-05-18-20-15.html

Yes, I think so! They had a little trouble during the lockdown, where the problem was not so much the performance on stage but the training - Bavarian State Ballet had class in the studio when everybody else had stopped to do so, at one point they even had the police coming. The press was raging about Zelensky who allegedly forced his dancers to come to the studio. At the Monday concerts, they only did solos or pdd with married couples, with social distancing to the pianist.

As some German theatres announce to open up again in these days with small productions, the concerts should not be a problem now, I think.

Sadly I missed the Cranko, so I do hope they put it up again one day.  I don't understand why they have to be taken down.  Anyway, I made sure I caught Square Dance.  I really enjoyed it, but agree with Jeanette that a bit of camera angle variety would be welcome.  I love the wide angle for the corps work (which was excellent) but some close-ups during the pas de deux wouldn't have gone amiss.  But that's just a minor niggle to what is a hugely enjoyable performance.  From what I see on Bruce's clip, I am very glad the Caller role disappeared.  I love callers when it's a proper square dance, but here it just doesn't fit. 

A massive thank you to all of you who keep posting up these gems past and present.  I can't tell you how appreciated it is.

• Like 4