Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

26 minutes ago, Mary said:

I got rather lost trying to read through the long description above!..

(cooking classes?)

Sorry about that, Mary ...  It is convoluted I agree ... but there had been no detailed information on it that I had seen.  That's how it came ...  I didn't write it ... I just copied it.  I do feel sorry for them.  They must have been counting on their 80th Anniversary season to fill the coffers to help support their forward work.  I would imagine their very existence may well now be in question.  Of course, ABT has been there before ... and survived.  I wish them well on this challenging occasion.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Mary said:

I got rather lost trying to read through the long description above!..

(cooking classes?)

I had to take a magnifying glass to find clues as to any ballet excerpts to be performed. Hey, we’re getting a song from Tony Bennett! Tap dancing!  Can’t wait to see Al Roker, my favorite weather-person! Even some past dancing greats, like Fracci & Bocca.  A little something for everyone.

Seriously: Wishing ABT much success in its fund-raising efforts, for the sake of survival.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

"the legendary Tony Bennett singing Fly Me to the Moon to adapted choreography by Jessica Lang (Let Me Sing Forevermore) performed on location in Central Park by ABT Soloists Catherine Hurlin and Aran Bell, a talented couple who are sheltering in place together."

Hurlin and Bell are very much rising stars in ABT. They performed this Fly me to the Moon piece for the last Erik bruhn competition, and I can assure you, you will love it. Fortunately in the current circumstance they are a couple offstage as well so they can perform without violating any social distancing guidelines.

9 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Sorry about that, Mary ...  It is convoluted I agree ... but there had been no detailed information on it that I had seen.  That's how it came ...  I didn't write it ... I just copied it.  I do feel sorry for them.  They must have been counting on their 80th Anniversary season to fill the coffers to help support their forward work.  I would imagine their very existence may well now be in question.  Of course, ABT has been there before ... and survived.  I wish them well on this challenging occasion.  

and many thanks for posting it Bruce.

I only meant a light hearted comment that there was such a lot to take in, most of it entirely obscure to me personally.

I too wish them every possible success in fund-raising.

Enjoyed the Bejart Piaf ... and only putting it here to highlight that Oscar Chacon - who guested with ENB in Khan's Giselle as Hilarion - is featured in it ... Pull stream to 22.40.  Vimeo link here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

From Norwich Theatre Royals newsletter today. 

Rosie Kay's Fantasia 

Fantasia takes ballet and tutus into the 21st Century. Delve deeply into a soundtrack of Vivaldi, Purcell, Beethoven and Bach and revel in the vision of three bold female dancers as they explore love, loss and joy! Premiering on Friday at 8pm.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 07:16, Naomi M said:

National Ballet of Japan  MacMillan's "Manon" (with Vadim Muntagirov as Des Grieux) is available now.

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/ballet/sugomori-manon/

2 remaining performances of this Manon was cancelled. 

Thank you very much, Naomi.  I am so glad not to have missed this one - especially after I changed browser because Firefox kept seizing up every few minutes :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

Thank you very much, Naomi.  I am so glad not to have missed this one - especially after I changed browser because Firefox kept seizing up every few minutes :) 

I am glad that this was a good opportunity to show National Ballet of Japan to the world, plus a splendid performance by Vadim Muntagirov and Yui Yonezawa (one of the best ballerinas in Japan)

Now Manon is over but Don Quixote by National Ballet of Japan, Yui Yonezawa as Kitri is online for a week (She has such brilliant technique). Sadly Wheeldon's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland cancellation was announced today (Anna Rose O'Sullivan was supposed to guest) but I must comfort myself with this. 

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/ballet/sugomori-donq/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

May be a useful reference point for what is coming up:

https://bachtrack.com/search-dance/medium=2

Excellent, thank you, Jan :)  Almost makes our calendar look a little redundant.  But £"$%£"^$"%&"$&%"%&"%&%&%$&"%! Nobody posted about The Little Humpbacked Horse!  I've been wanting to see that for years and years, and it's finished :( 

Since the ABT lockdown gala is on the 12th, thought you might like to see this NYC Arts profile on ABT principal dancer James Whiteside broadcast on 05.05.20.  Pull through to 3.10 for the beginning.  It lasts (I think) about 10 minutes ...  Oh, and you get some fleeting looks at Brit/RBS grad Thomas Forster ... 

https://www.nyc-arts.org/

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, alison said:

Excellent, thank you, Jan :)  Almost makes our calendar look a little redundant.  But £"$%£"^$"%&"$&%"%&"%&%&%$&"%! Nobody posted about The Little Humpbacked Horse!  I've been wanting to see that for years and years, and it's finished :( 

As Naomi mentioned, it’s not over yet. Also, just FYI, the commercial DVD exists. I purchased it from Japanese Amazon a few years ago. Still, it’s great that others can see it for free by other means. :)

Edited by Jeannette

Thanks Jeannette, sounds like a few Mariinsky ballets have been released on DVD in Japan but not elsewhere. Do you have any tips for buying from Japanese Amazon? It seemed quite impenetrable to someone who can't read Japanese when I tried once, but I assume there must be a trick to it.

27 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Thanks Jeannette, sounds like a few Mariinsky ballets have been released on DVD in Japan but not elsewhere. Do you have any tips for buying from Japanese Amazon? It seemed quite impenetrable to someone who can't read Japanese when I tried once, but I assume there must be a trick to it.

DanJL, there’s an English language option at the top of the Amazon jp home page (upper right). I just search ballet dvd, then sequence the results with the newest at the top. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

As Naomi mentioned, it’s not over yet. Also, just FYI, the commercial DVD exists. I purchased it from Japanese Amazon a few years ago. Still, it’s great that others can see it for free by other means. :)

Unfortunately the Japanese Mariinsky Ballet DVDs (Sleeping Beauty and La Bayadere) are no longer on retail (you can purchase some at an expensive price, probably second hand ones at Amazon market place)

The only Japanese exclusive DVD retailed is Anna Karenina with Lopatkina in the title role.

Ratmansky’s Little Humped Back Horse was not issued but broadcasted on pay television. 

Edited by Naomi M
Typo

I bought the LHH dvd with Somova and Sarafanov.  I have it...looking at the cover right now...seems professional (not pirated). Sorry if I mistook countries.  :)  It’s odd how some DVDs are marketed only in certain countries, not in others.

Just watched La Sonnambula and thoroughly enjoyed it., but I couldn't see a cast list anywhere.  I remember seeing Festival Ballet dancing it many years ago with Galina Samsova and it is probably a false memory, but I could have sworn she never came down off pointe at all!  The Harlequin divertissment was fun, and his back problems are exactly how I feel at the moment after teaching too many Zoom classes on a hard tiled floor! 

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Just watched La Sonnambula and thoroughly enjoyed it., but I couldn't see a cast list anywhere.  I remember seeing Festival Ballet dancing it many years ago with Galina Samsova and it is probably a false memory, but I could have sworn she never came down off pointe at all!  The Harlequin divertissment was fun, and his back problems are exactly how I feel at the moment after teaching too many Zoom classes on a hard tiled floor! 

I watched Sonnambula just now. Lovely work! The Sleepwalker was Natalia Magnicaballi. It was her farewell performance; hence, the confetti, huge bouquet and extra-loud cheers at the end. 

Not sure about the others, so I leave that to another member to post.

Rather odd to have no casting and credits.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I watched Sonnambula just now. Lovely work! The Sleepwalker was Natalia Magnicaballi. It was her farewell performance; hence, the confetti, huge bouquet and extra-loud cheers at the end. 

Not sure about the others, so I leave that to another member to post.

Rather odd to have no casting and credits.

Thanks to Fiddleback on balletalert, here is the cast:

The Coquette              Mimi Tompkins
The Baron                   Brian Leonard
The Poet                      Helio Lima
The Sleepwalker         Natalai Magnicaballi

Pastorale                     Kaelyn Magee, Alison Remmers, Annier Navarro, Erick Garnica
Pas de Deux                Arianni Marin, Eric Hipolito Jr.
Harlequin                    Alejandro Mendez

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Shobana Jeyasingh Dance plans to premiere a video on Facebook

Created exclusively for our online audience, ‘SJD Shorts’ will present specially chosen excerpts from our rich catalogue, each one personally introduced by Shobana. The first of these will feature Faultline, live on Facebook on Sunday 17 May at 7pm (BST). Guardian dance critic Sanjoy Roy will be quizzing Shobana about this much acclaimed piece, which made it into the top ten dance works in the UK when it was first premiered.

“It’s a piece you can watch over and over again, and always see something new” The Guardian

“Created in 2007, Faultline was a response to the 2005 London bombings and the spotlight it threw on young Asians. The angst, coolness and swagger that I found in Gautam Malkani's book 'Londonstani' was a source of inspiration." Shobana Jeyasingh

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Coronavirus lockdown suggestions thread - general

From Isabelle Guerin's instagram, a  beautiful tribute to the essential workers by the former etoiles at Paris Opera Ballet. A star studded performance- Guerin, Loudieres, Legris, Romoli. Letestu, Martinez, Ciaravola, Guizerix,  Maurin, Le Riche and Osta, Gaida, Arbo, Pujol, Moussin, Pech, Paquette J.G. Bart and more. 

• Like 3