Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I don't know the Peter and the Wolf ballet but Metamorphosis doesn't seem like a particularly  joyful offering at the present time.  I hope the ROH will be able to offer something more uplifting in due course.

I agree. Both pieces are odd choices in the circumstances. But I guess they don’t want to put out something which is available commercially.

Aren't these ballets both avaliable on DVD? Or are they showing different performances to those that are commercially available?

I wonder if they have any scope to show past cinema broadcasts that never made it on to DVD? I've seen tantalising clips of a few that I didn't see at the time. Sleeping Beauty and Romeo and Juliet both with Lamb / McRae being particularly high up on my wish list!

• Like 1

There is a live concert from the Bavarian State Opera tomorrow 23 March at 7.15pm (UK time) which includes excerpts from Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias and Cranko’s Taming of the Shrew performed by Principals of the Bavarian State Ballet Prisca Zeisel, Dmitrii Vyskubenko, Laurretta Summerscales and Yonah Acosta. The performance will be available to watch on demand later. Looks like the ballet section will be at the end.

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productioninfo/staatsopertv-2nd-monday-concert.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrsBBB said:

There is a live concert from the Bavarian State Opera tomorrow 23 March at 7.15pm (UK time) which includes excerpts from Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias and Cranko’s Taming of the Shrew performed by Principals of the Bavarian State Ballet Prisca Zeisel, Dmitrii Vyskubenko, Laurretta Summerscales and Yonah Acosta. The performance will be available to watch on demand later. Looks like the ballet section will be at the end.

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productioninfo/staatsopertv-2nd-monday-concert.html

I have a feeling this may not happen with today's latest restrictions on groups of more than 2 people in Germany.

2 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I have a feeling this may not happen with today's latest restrictions on groups of more than 2 people in Germany.

Just the pianist and singer, then. Maybe the Pdd can be performed to recorded music.

Tamara Rojo was back with her Barre today on Instagram. At some distance from her were Isaac hernandez (ENB Lead Principal) and Francesca Velicu (ENB First Artist).

Here is Ernst Meisner of Dutch National Ballet taking a class.from his Barre. He's good!!!!

There are more clips of RB dancers exercising on Instagram etc. including Cesar Corales who is taking an RB online class (on his TV)  given by Brian Maloney.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Thanks all for sharing lots of livestreams etc, hoping to catch some upcoming Paris Opera performances being streamed as well as hoping the ROH announces more livestreams (as others have said it would be lovely to see versions that aren't on DVD as I appreciate DVDs may be an important revenue stream in these times for them!).

In the meantime I'm considering ordering some DVDs - sorry if I'm duplicating something already in another thread but I would be interested to hear some recommendations from balletcoers. 

Does anyone recommend/have any thoughts on the Durante version of Sleeping Beauty? I would be interested to see Durante but I have to admit I have some reservations about the Dowell production, I've not ever seen it but I quite like the current version so I'm thinking of going for the 2010 Cojocaru performance or the more recent Nunez/Muntagirov DVD unless people think it's worth seeing the Dowell production? Wondering what the main differences were between Dowell's and the current one? 

Similarly, I'm intrigued by the Dowell Swan Lake (there's a Nunez/Soares or Osipova/Golding recording) to see how that compares to Scarlett but will I just be disappointed? I have to admit I'm not overly keen on the swans wearing Giselle style longer dresses as opposed to tutus but wondering how radical the choreography etc differences may be? 

Also does anyone have any 'vintage' recommendations - thinking Fonteyn (considering her Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella DVD, and would be interested to hear thoughts if anyone has seen these). 

Finally La Bayadere - the 'older' DVD with Rojo/Acosta, any thoughts on that versus the most recent Nunez/Muntagirov/Osipova would be interesting to hear (I was lucky enough to see the Nunez/Muntagirov production live so I'm not sure whether to get that as a solid bet, or try seeing someone different as I've already seen Nunez/Muntagirov). I'm aware the production is the same so I guess this is more of a subjective one based on performances etc. 

Appreciate a lot of the above is subjective re specific dancers/productions so there are no 'right' performances/DVD to buy but would be interested to hear some thoughts if people have any! 

And also open to more DVD recommendations whether past/present. Especially from Paris Opera/Bolshoi/Mariinsky/NYC etc as I know very little about these productions/DVDs available! Thanks all. 

1 minute ago, loveclassics said:

I liked the POB version of Jewels though I suppose the NYC version might be better (if it exists)

Linda

Thanks Linda! I was very tempted to get this but I note POB have this as part of a larger box set along with La Dame aux Camelias, Cinderella and Swan Lake - currently £60 on amazon but only £30 on the ROH shop website - so tempted to get this when the ROH shop resumes.

As an aside I do think it's unfortunate the online shop is currently not dispatching orders, I understand they are not amazon and may have logistical issues but I was prepared to order from them directly even though the DVDs are usually much cheaper on amazon (the example I've just given aside) but the whole point is I want the DVDs now while we're all self isolating in at home. 

The Ashton sets are also very tempting and seem like excellent value for money! And the MacMillan triples also...spoilt for choice! 

1 minute ago, ninamargaret said:

No ballet - just the Rachmaninov and Wolf songs.  There was an announcement at the end, but only in German

There was ballet - a pd2 from Lady of the Camellias and another from Taming of the Shrew (with pretty awful music).  There were also lieder by R Strauss (finishing beautifully with Morgen) after the Wolf.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

There was ballet - a pd2 from Lady of the Camellias and another from Taming of the Shrew (with pretty awful music).  There were also lieder by R Strauss (finishing beautifully with Morgen) after the Wolf.

maybe the announcement was to tell us that there was an interval - my fault for not speaking German.

I hope you can see this...

The Kathakali method of washing hands:

Edited to say that if it doesn't work off this page try the copy link option and open a new window/tab using the URL provided.  I'm going to start namaste-ing!

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to add a couple of sentences.
  • Like 3

To The Pointe has some suggestions for YouTube viewing to brighten your day:

"Introducing 'My Top 5' series exclusively for To The Pointe! I’ll be sharing my top five favourite things, all dance related, to hopefully brighten your days throughout these difficult times. 

First up - here are my top five ballerina variations that I suggest you watch this week! Featuring Fumi Kaneko Jurgita Dronina Svetlana Zakharova Beatriz Stix-Brunell Maria khoreva"

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2020/03/23/My-Top-5-Ballerina-variations-this-week?fbclid=IwAR1FYdcT4EGgKlZELlPzGhTxqU-wgTstCViv7NPxC_tyIdpGatJH6hILwHc

• Like 2

Thank you Janet for the short documentary (and all the other stuff), that was a wonderful 10 minuets and just what i needed.

It also made me long to see more la Scala ballet.

Edited by Janite

22 hours ago, JNC said:

In the meantime I'm considering ordering some DVDs - sorry if I'm duplicating something already in another thread but I would be interested to hear some recommendations from balletcoers. 

We have a(n already very long) thread on DVDs here:

You could check for answers to your questions on it, or if they aren't there copy your questions in there.  It'll make it easier for everyone rather than derailing this thread :)

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janite said:

Thank you Janet for the short documentary (and all the other stuff), that was a wonderful 10 minuets and just what i needed.

It also made me long to see more la Scala ballet.

Same here. I'd especially like to see more of Andrijashenko after being so impressed by his Romeo jmp-in opposite Melissa Hamilton last season. Presumably the Sleeping Beauty & Swan Lake exerpts shown in the video are from full-length recordings so maybe they'll get released on DVD at some point.

49 minutes ago, Duck said:

I think they've added some performances for their tour to Japan and over summer?  Fingers crossed things will go ahead as planned. I'll keep to online viewing for the time being though ...

I realised that too as I was putting the dates in my diary to watch, but too late to delete. 
I think you may be sensible to keep it to online viewing......

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1