Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

I had intended to get this up straightaway once the new anti-coronavirus measures were announced, but life has got in the way.  Thank you to everyone else who has posted relevant material in the meantime.

We knew it was inevitable that more stringent measures would have to be taken, so with no live theatre, concerts, plays, and dance for the foreseeable future, what can we do, arts-wise, to help us pass the next few months?

We already have a thread going on online streaming in the opera and classical music world here:

Edited by alison
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• alison changed the title to Coronavirus lockdown suggestions thread - UK and elsewhere

It does, of course, go without saying that there are far more vital things to be doing in these difficult times than watching and performing the arts: if there are things being set up in your local community, and your circumstances permit, please see if there is anything you can do to become involved - in particular making sure that neighbours, especially the elderly, who may not be online and may not have access to what they need are okay and have someone they can call on.

And also be aware that there are scammers etc. out there trying to take advantage of this situation :angry:

• Like 6

6 hours ago, alison said:

It does, of course, go without saying that there are far more vital things 

I would not disagree, it is vital we look out for each other. I also think we need to look after ourselves emotionally and for me seeing beauty is vital, and even more so now. 

Thanks for your ideas. 

Edited by Janite
  • Like 4

Hi everybody. Just wanted to make sure that everybody on here is OK and managing alright. Hope that this will be over soon and things can get back to normality.

In the meantime, take all necessary precautions and stay safe as you can.

CHazell2

• Like 5

A reminder: please don't encourage anyone to go against official medical advice.  Many carriers of this ferocious disease are asymptomatic, so none of us, especially those living in major built-up areas, can be certain that we are symptom-free.  Even if we are, there is still the potential to pick it up and transfer it to someone else, who may be more vulnerable.

• Like 9

Hamburg Ballet (on their website,

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/online_programm.php

Exclusive Program of the Hamburg Ballet for Home

"Young Choreographers" – video compilation
online from March 20, at 7.30 pm/March 22, at 2.30 pm
At the original time of each of the first performances of "Young Choreographers", we publish a two-part video compilation that stylishly stages excerpts from the creations by Giorgia Giani, Louis Haslach, Marc Jubete, Marcelino Libao, Kristína Paulin, Florian Pohl, Artem Prokopchuk, David Rodriguez, Chiara Ruaro, Ricardo Urbina and Illia Zakrevskyi.
A funny bloopers compilation will follow on March 24, at 4.30 pm. 

Virtual ballet training by Lloyd Riggins with Madoka Sugai
online from March 23, at 4.30 pm
For the very first time the Hamburg Ballet presents a virtual ballet training. The barre training is developed from home for home and will be instructed by ballet master Lloyd Riggins and performed by star principal Madoka Sugai. Everyone is invited to share their individual success of participation via the #hamburgballet with the company.

"The Glass Menagerie" – insights into the creation process
online from March 26/28/29, at 4.30 pm each
The Hamburg Ballet and John Neumeier will grant in three parts an exclusive insight into the process of creating his latest full-length ballet "The Glass Menagerie" through hitherto unpublished images.

• Like 3

Tamara Rojo's class was brilliant! I had my last ballet lesson when I was 6, nearly 54 years ago, but I decided to turn my chair round to use it as a barre and I used the few square inches around me to stretch, point and bend (bearing no resemblance whatsoever to what I was seeing on screen, but in my head I was Tamara Rojo) until I had to sit down again (which didn't take long). For real dancers, this must have been wonderful.

• Like 7

The Royal Opera House launches a programme of free online content for the culturally curious at homeWe're offering a schedule of free broadcasts and live content that audiences can access for free anywhere, anytime across the globe.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)
Friday 20 March 2020, 11.10am

The Royal Opera House will be offering a free programme of curated online broadcasts, musical masterclasses and cultural insights that get under the skin of both ballet and opera and offer everyone a unique look behind the scenes at one of the world's most famous cultural institutions.

In this uncertain time, and as productions and events are postponed at the Royal Opera House and around the world, we have created a schedule of free broadcasts and live content that audiences can access for free anywhere, anytime across the globe, bringing both ballet and opera to every home and every device. This will include the following productions offered on demand and for free via the ROH’s Facebook and YouTube channels:

• Peter and the Wolf, The Royal Ballet, 2010 – 27 March 2020, 7pm GMT
  • Acis and Galatea, The Royal Opera, 2009 – 3 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • Così fan tutte, The Royal Opera, 2010 – 10 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • The Metamorphosis, The Royal Ballet, 2013 – 17 April 2020, 7pm BST

Today we begin the rollout of this free programme of curated content, and invite our audiences to sign up for a free 30-day trial on Marquee TV, the international multi-genre performing arts streaming service. In collaboration with the Royal Opera House, Marquee TV will bring you the very best of world-class performances on demand.

A range of recent opera and ballet productions are available including La traviata and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with new titles being added all the time.

Royal Opera House content is also available on radio, TV and online through our ongoing partnership with the BBC. Mayerling, Pappano's Greatest Arias and Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot are all available on BBC iPlayer and can be watched at any time. Beethoven favourite Fidelio is also scheduled to be broadcast on Radio 3 at 6.30pm on Saturday 28 March.

In the coming days and weeks, we will roll out more of our free programme of broadcasts, so look out for updates and announcements via The Royal Opera House's social media channels and experience the best of the ROH from your living room.

#OurHouseToYourHouse

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

Tamara Rojo's class was brilliant! I had my last ballet lesson when I was 6, nearly 54 years ago, but I decided to turn my chair round to use it as a barre and I used the few square inches around me to stretch, point and bend (bearing no resemblance whatsoever to what I was seeing on screen, but in my head I was Tamara Rojo) until I had to sit down again (which didn't take long). For real dancers, this must have been wonderful.

I couldn't resist having a go in my study but just managed to kick my printer :D.  It was great to watch and got such a good viewer response - seems to have cheered up thousands of people.  I hope they do it again, there's something strangely hypnotic and uplifting about watching class. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I couldn't resist having a go in my study but just managed to kick my printer :D.  It was great to watch and got such a good viewer response - seems to have cheered up thousands of people.  I hope they do it again, there's something strangely hypnotic and uplifting about watching class. 

I kicked a chair and a speaker and I nearly slipped on my pile of cancelled ballet tickets... Class is a risky business. :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I kicked a chair and a speaker and I nearly slipped on my pile of cancelled ballet tickets... Class is a risky business. :D

I expect this is what Karl Marx meant by 'the class struggle'.  He was clearly a failed dancer!

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I hope they do it again, there's something strangely hypnotic and uplifting about watching class. 

Agree - every World Ballet Day I think "I'll just dip in to see who's there" and end up watching the whole thing.

• Like 1

Ha ha Quintus and bridiem very funny ..I missed this class today but will need to do a bit of decluttering in my ‘spare piano’ room first to do a grand battement without incurring an injury 🙄

• Like 2

An update just received from ENB and posted here because there are links to activities.

logo.png

What's next for us

COVID-19, how we have been affected, and next steps

Following on from our message earlier this week, we have set up a page on our website dedicated to news and updates concerning English National Ballet activities affected by COVID-19, which will be regularly updated. 

Below are some ways in which you can stay connected with us.

We are set up to work remotely, and are available on 0207 590 2950, should you have any questions.

Many thanks for your ongoing support.

Learn more

How can you help?

English National Ballet perform Etudes (c) Laurent Liotardo

Your Support

Any support in these times is hugely appreciated

We have deeply appreciated the many warm wishes and expressions of empathy and care that we have received in the past few days. We take comfort in the encouragement of our friends and supporters.

As a charity, we rely on your support now more than ever. Ticket sales provide substantial revenue funding, contributing a third of our annual income. There are substantial financial implications to postponements in our programme that impact our future work.

We are working hard to find ways to navigate the impact of this period of uncertainty, and any donation, large or small, will help provide security and clarity, in the short-term, during these uncertain times. If you can, please donate. 

Donate Now

Stay positive with us!

Tamara Rojo at English National Ballet. Photography by David Jensen.

JOIN IN

LIVE stream - Company class with Tamara Rojo

Thank you everyone who joined us for the live stream of Company class led by Tamara Rojo! We will stream another class at 11am UK time on Saturday 21 March and hope to continue to stream classes next week. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and YouTube Channel.

ENB on Facebook

cinderella-music-laurent-liotardo.jpg

LISTEN

English National Ballet Philharmonic

Did you know that the wonderful English National Ballet Philharmonic have a Spotify channel? Listen to stunning highlights from Le Corsaire at home and keep an eye out in the coming weeks for new playlists.

ENBP on Spotify

Shiori Kase and Joseph Caley in The Sleeping Beauty. Photography by Laurent Liotardo.

Recreate iconic moments on stage!

If you're stuck at home and in need of some amusement and creative outlet, why not join our Twitter challenge to recreate production photos from some of our iconic ballets?

ENB on Twitter

youthco.jpg

WATCH

Watch at home

Our YouTube channel is home to films, trailers, rehearsal videos, interviews and more. We will continue to share new content with our followers throughout this period. Keep an eye out as there are some exciting things planned!

ENB on YouTube

Images: Laurent Liotardo, Paul Stuart and Photography by ASH

Facebook      Twitter      Instagram      YouTube

Unsubscribe       View in browser 

English National Ballet
41 Hopewell Square
London, E14 0SY  

hello@ballet.org.uk
020 7581 1245

You are receiving this email because you signed up to receive updates on our website. English National Ballet is committed to respecting and protecting your personal information. We will use data in accordance with our privacy policy. © 2019 English National Ballet. All rights reserved.

Supported by

ace-logo.png
 natwest-2x.png

open?sid=MTI3OV8yNzcxXzExNTcxOF83MDc4

Apologies of this has been posted elsewhere - 

The Royal Opera House is pleased to announce a FREE live programme of full-length productions to spread the joy of ballet and opera during these uncertain times. They will be broadcast via our Facebook and YouTube channels, allowing you to enjoy them from the comfort of your own home. #OurHouseToYourHouse

Keep scrolling to view the full schedule...

Many thanks for your continued generous support, which makes developing and sharing work like this possible.

Peter and the Wolf

BALLET

27 March 2020, 7pm GMT

This children's ballet, set to music by Prokofiev, is about a boy who isn't afraid of the big, bad wolf. It is performed by the Royal Ballet School.

Acis and Galatea

OPERA/BALLET

3 April 2020, 7pm BST  

A collaboration between the Royal Opera and Royal Ballet companies, created by Wayne McGregor and set to music by Handel. Based on Greek mythology, it tells the story of a mortal shepherd and a goddess' doomed love.

Così fan tutte

OPERA

10 April 2020, 7pm BST

This comedy by Mozart sees two men test their girlfriends' faithfulness. Their plan - to disguise themselves in order to try and seduce the other's lover. What could possibly go wrong?

The Metamorphosis

BALLET

17 April 2020, 7pm BST

A contemporary piece by Arthur Pita, created on Royal Ballet Principal Dancer, Edward Watson. It is based on the novella by Franz Kafka, about how one family reacts when their son wakes up, transformed into a monstrous insect.

6 hours ago, capybara said:

The Royal Opera House launches a programme of free online content for the culturally curious at homeWe're offering a schedule of free broadcasts and live content that audiences can access for free anywhere, anytime across the globe.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)
Friday 20 March 2020, 11.10am

The Royal Opera House will be offering a free programme of curated online broadcasts, musical masterclasses and cultural insights that get under the skin of both ballet and opera and offer everyone a unique look behind the scenes at one of the world's most famous cultural institutions.

In this uncertain time, and as productions and events are postponed at the Royal Opera House and around the world, we have created a schedule of free broadcasts and live content that audiences can access for free anywhere, anytime across the globe, bringing both ballet and opera to every home and every device. This will include the following productions offered on demand and for free via the ROH’s Facebook and YouTube channels:

• Peter and the Wolf, The Royal Ballet, 2010 – 27 March 2020, 7pm GMT
  • Acis and Galatea, The Royal Opera, 2009 – 3 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • Così fan tutte, The Royal Opera, 2010 – 10 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • The Metamorphosis, The Royal Ballet, 2013 – 17 April 2020, 7pm BST

Today we begin the rollout of this free programme of curated content, and invite our audiences to sign up for a free 30-day trial on Marquee TV, the international multi-genre performing arts streaming service. In collaboration with the Royal Opera House, Marquee TV will bring you the very best of world-class performances on demand.

A range of recent opera and ballet productions are available including La traviata and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with new titles being added all the time.

Royal Opera House content is also available on radio, TV and online through our ongoing partnership with the BBC. Mayerling, Pappano's Greatest Arias and Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot are all available on BBC iPlayer and can be watched at any time. Beethoven favourite Fidelio is also scheduled to be broadcast on Radio 3 at 6.30pm on Saturday 28 March.

In the coming days and weeks, we will roll out more of our free programme of broadcasts, so look out for updates and announcements via The Royal Opera House's social media channels and experience the best of the ROH from your living room.

#OurHouseToYourHouse

Ooops - sorry missed your earlier post before posting mine (same content, different format!)

52 minutes ago, capybara said:

An update just received from ENB and posted here because there are links to activities.

logo.png

What's next for us

Sorry, but that ENB photo just encourages non-coronavirus compliant dancing - here's a correction to safe distancing.....  And don't get me started on the birds in Two Pigeons.

qA07Dqy.jpg

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 8