BBC 2020 "dance season" discussion

I think we might as well have a discussion thread for the BBC's offerings in its "dance season", whenever that may start - I'm including last night's showings on BBC4, anyway.

I haven't watched last season's Mayerling properly as yet, but was pleased to note, in the bits I did catch, that there were some dancers in supporting roles whose contributions I wasn't sad to be able to record for posterity :) 

• Like 1

sorry trying to get the cast sheet up so people could see it without following the link and for some reason it only did the first page. I then did a screen shot but the file was too big.

Admins may want to delete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2020 at 15:17, Lynette H said:

As well as Mayerling there was also repeat of the documentary Ballet's Dark Knight: Sir Kenneth MacMillan. Available on iplayer here for 28 days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b2gjbl/ballets-dark-knight-sir-kenneth-macmillan

I finally got around to watching this last night.  I'd never seen it before, and I  enjoyed it, but I I hadn't realised Alessandra Ferri had spent such a long time working with MacMillan.  She certainly seemed to get the lion's share of the interviews.  My perception was that she left the Royal Ballet quite early on in her career.  

52 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I finally got around to watching this last night.  I'd never seen it before, and I  enjoyed it, but I I hadn't realised Alessandra Ferri had spent such a long time working with MacMillan.  She certainly seemed to get the lion's share of the interviews.  My perception was that she left the Royal Ballet quite early on in her career.  

She did.  Remember that Macmillan's principal muse was Lynn Seymour but she seems to be getting increasingly airbrushed out of the story.

• Like 3

Ferri left the RB early on in her career, but did go to ABT where MacMillan was Artistic Associate or some such title. Talking of airbrushing, another person who was so often involved, but seems to have disappeared since MacMillan's death, is the notator Monica Parker. If you watch old footage of his rehearsals, she is the one so often by his side. 

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Monica Parker hasn’t been airbrushed out at all.  She’s been staging MacMillan’s ballets all over the world, including at the ROH (with the appropriate credits).

My point was that she hasn't been in recent TV documentaries or any panel discussions, that I recall, (thinking of the Durante season at the Barbican for example.)

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Darlex - most of us understood the point you were making

We *all* understood the point Darlex was making - bangorballetboy simply pointed out - correctly - that Monica Parker hasn’t “disappeared” and is still working.  That’s different from not appearing in documentaries. 

• Like 1