Aklf

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Whose class did you do, Alexander?

Lisa Beaumont School of Ballet, adult class. Not generally advertised, as far as I know, but made welcome dispite my classical ballet inexperience and strange Baroque ways.

I'm particularly liking the exploration of fondu and port de bras, posture etc

Edited by Alexander
Adding more
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 14:17, Jan McNulty said:

Daniel de Andrade of Northern Ballet is live-streaming a class on IG at 5pm this evening:

2082968512_Screenshot2020-04-02at14_16_07.png.5b3390bebcd68cba27a5e3fff0c9bdbd.png

that class is a definite pro class  (although we'll perhaos see if the insta  streamed class is different from the zoom class)

On 02/04/2020 at 22:47, ponklemum said:

I’d like some advice regarding online classes for my children please. I’ve seen plenty that do Instagram/Facebook live classes and also some that offer zoom classes. Would zoom classes be better as they’re more interactive or doesn’t it matter? 

insta / fb live is purely follow along  - no two -way interaction  or  i nthe case of FB live  you can send text comments back 

zoom / skype / webex  is potentially  a fully interactive experience   as would a group FB messenger chat ( this is different to FB live video)

11 hours ago, Viv said:

Does anyone know of any good jazz or contemporary classes that are streaming at the moment? I am getting some really good ballet classes at the moment but I miss other genres :( 

both on insta: Adam Scott and Graeme Pickering have both piqued DD's enthusiasm. Also Hannah Martin of BBC Greatest Dancer choreographs and teaches beautiful routines. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 09:43, RHowarth said:

Does anyone know if there's going to be another Everybody Ballet Instagram live stream, and if so, when it is? My internet detective work has been fruitless so far!

Hi @RHowarth it looks like the next one is 7pm on Saturday 11 April.  

This is according to the EB Instagram feed. 

If you're looking for online classes, do pop over to the News and Information forum and look at the coronavirus lockdown thread - quite a few of the companies are putting on online classes at all sorts of different levels, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

And from the Today's Links forum - worth keeping an eye on to see how people are managing to keep their dancing going - an article on some of the online classes around, of varying levels from beginner to pro:

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/arts/best-online-dance-classes-ballet-tutorials-a4414161.html

somewhat 'understated ' assessment of  Ms Rojo's class    there ... 

Ponklemum - I reiterate that students should be guided by their regular teacher at their dance school or associate programme. These teachers know your child and most are offering some way of giving feedback either by doing age appropriate zoom/skype classes or as in my case (as I've had the virus and been too ill to teach) I'm having video sent to me from students and giving feedback by email or video message.

A LOT of the online offerings are not designed for children, nor are they taught by people who are used to working with children (ie they are used to working with advanced students and professionals and both physically and mentally, children are NOT mini adults!). 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, drdance said:

Ponklemum - I reiterate that students should be guided by their regular teacher at their dance school or associate programme. These teachers know your child and most are offering some way of giving feedback either by doing age appropriate zoom/skype classes or as in my case (as I've had the virus and been too ill to teach) I'm having video sent to me from students and giving feedback by email or video message.

A LOT of the online offerings are not designed for children, nor are they taught by people who are used to working with children (ie they are used to working with advanced students and professionals and both physically and mentally, children are NOT mini adults!). 

Never a truer word and sending you hugs hope your feeling better xx. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, drdance said:

Apologies if I missed you saying it earlier. Thank you for your advice and I hope you feel better soon. 

12 hours ago, drdance said:

absolutely spot on , as is usual ... 

some of the pro classes being streamed are very good at giving that  firm advice   ( i know  Ms Rojo's class mentions this and Dan  De Andrade has mentioned this aobut his  insta streamed class ) 

• Like 2

RAD website now has children's conditioning exercises at 3 different age/grade appropriate levels taught by Jane Tucker. Actually I'm going to do the Grade 5+ set of exercises - it looks very thorough and well explained.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes
  • Like 4

On 21/03/2020 at 16:41, Pixiewoo said:

No live classes yet,  but Martin Howland who is a director of Renaissance Arts in Leeds, has put ballet videos on YouTube and is hoping to live stream soon. 

He's called it Howly Ballet.

Looks good so far.

Martin Howland is now live streaming excellent classes on Instagram (Howlyballet) every Tuesday and Thursday at 4.  

On 17/04/2020 at 15:28, The_Red_Shoes said:

RAD website now has children's conditioning exercises at 3 different age/grade appropriate levels taught by Jane Tucker. Actually I'm going to do the Grade 5+ set of exercises - it looks very thorough and well explained.

Jane is a fabulous teacher  regardless of the age or  level of of the class ...  

i've only briefly looked  at the videos in question but i suspect that most  adults would  benefit from if not enjoy the  11 +   / g5 +  set