Online classes live streamed for dancers - Please Post

Aklf

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/03/2020 at 23:17, Mumofballetmaddaughter said:

Any advice on using Zoom both from a teacher and student perspective would be greatly appreciated please.

Check the contrast of your background and dress accordingly, especially your feet.

People will be watching on tiny screens and in low resolution and it’s much easier to see black leggings against a light background or pink tights against a dark one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RachelSkipper said:

Check the contrast of your background and dress accordingly, especially your feet.

People will be watching on tiny screens and in low resolution and it’s much easier to see black leggings against a light background or pink tights against a dark one.

Ah yes, something I think which could easily be overlooked as it's not something you need to think about usually. Thank you RachelSkipper for this tip, it's much appreciated. 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Online classes live streamed for dancers - Please Post
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:35, TYR said:

you know what this is missing? Links.

Yes, please do put links if it's a publicly available class (except, possibly, if you think the quality may be dubious).  People don't want to be hunting all over YouTube or Instagram for them.

Staffordshire Youth Ballet has their first live ballet class on Instagram tomorrow. 

Nicky Henshall trained at The Royal Ballet School lower and Upper School then danced with ENB and continues to work extensively with both choreographers and as a teacher. 

This is the post copied from Nicky Henshall of Staffordshire Youth Ballet - 

“ I will be sharing a 30min barre/centre practise via Instagram live for you to do in your living room/bedroom/kitchen 

Wednesday 4pm for Juniors grade 2-5
Wednesday 4:30pm for Seniors Grade 6+

The videos will be available for 24hrs so this gives you a chance to do this at your own time or when is convenient. 

Make sure you follow staffordshireyouthballet on Instagram! “

Note -

I have No connections to SYB other than my dd has attended for years and Nicky is one of her favourite teachers. 

Thank you Alison for sharing my post. Please look after your bodies while enjoying access to the wealth of online classes now available! Not all are suitable for children/adolescents or adult beginners. Not all are delivered by people who work with children or adult beginners. This would be the WORST time to get injured!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Alexander Campbell & Claire Calvert of the Royal Ballet are giving a class this morning 28th March for Bloch on IG.  Followed by a Q&A.

Unfortunately I thought this was at 11am so tuned in an hour too late... And I can't see that it's still accessible anywhere. :(

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Unfortunately I thought this was at 11am so tuned in an hour too late... And I can't see that it's still accessible anywhere. :(

I don't know how you look at IG.  I mostly use my laptop but it has limitations compared to looking at it on a phone or tablet app.  On phone or tablet use the search symbol - it should give you some options at the top.  Choose the IG TV option and search for Bloch_EU.  There are a number of classes available so I guess they may load more permanently later.  Yasmine Naghdi's class is available.

I missed the first 20 minutes till I found it but enjoyed the rest of the class and the Q&A afterwards.

13 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I don't know how you look at IG.  I mostly use my laptop but it has limitations compared to looking at it on a phone or tablet app.  On phone or tablet use the search symbol - it should give you some options at the top.  Choose the IG TV option and search for Bloch_EU.  There are a number of classes available so I guess they may load more permanently later.  Yasmine Naghdi's class is available.

I missed the first 20 minutes till I found it but enjoyed the rest of the class and the Q&A afterwards.

Thanks very much Jan - I think I've found the relevant site on my phone and they do say they're saving their classes there, so I hope the C&C one will appear in due course.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Boys_can_dance said:

Hallo- does anyone know of any PBT or Strength and Conditioning  classes being streamed? Age 13 

Phil tunstill from EYB did a Pilates session yesterday, my dd 19 did it it’s was good apparently must of been as she says she aches today 🤣. Would yourself   @drdance or Miss Ellie care todo one as I know my two would tune in ❤️

Just to add that I've signed up for Nina Thilas Mohs Floor Barre class tonight at 6pm and her ballet barre + short centre on Friday. These are charged for, but only £5 each and done via Zoom, so there'll be corrections - at a distance, but still, some feedback. You can find the details via Nina's Facebook page: Floor Barre London. Highly recommended

I've been enjoying Sander Bloemmart's lovely clean precise technical barre - really well pitched for a range of standards of dancers. He's a really good teacher - thinks through the way the bare connects each exercise, and does a tiny bit of challenging centre work in terms of balance and alignment. Sometimes the simple stuff is the hardest. But it's weird doing class without specific corrections!

• Like 2

Having posted this in a different thread, I now see it hasn't been mentioned here, so:

David Kierce has moved his regular classes online.  They cost £7 and are at the same times as his usual Absolute Beginner and Beginner/Improver classes at Central School of Ballet.

https://www.beginneradultballet.com/online-classes-1

I asked about the format of the class (bearing in mind I often attend his classes in person, but live in a small flat and obviously don't have sprung flooring or anything) and he said it's a barre and some stretching, and he's teaching from the corner of a tiny studio flat!

I will definitely also look at Friday morning's ENB class with Sarah Golightly, as I was meant to be taking her Tuesday evening class starting from next week!

• Like 2

I’d like some advice regarding online classes for my children please. I’ve seen plenty that do Instagram/Facebook live classes and also some that offer zoom classes. Would zoom classes be better as they’re more interactive or doesn’t it matter? 

@ponklemum my school are doing daily zoom classes and I find it so much better than the livestream as the teacher can see you and give you personalised corrections. It's also a really nice atmosphere as others are 'in the studio' too. 

But I do like doing live classes for fun at the weekend ! So really just pick whatever suits best x

Webcam pointing in the general direction, mirror positioned, nice indoor barre assembled with pleasing wooden furniture for online adult class!! Now, ballet online etiquette, will I be allowed to position barre and camera just right when I work the other side.. I suspect not. I suspect any IT adjustments will be allegro. Hmmm...