Online classes live streamed for dancers - Please Post

Aklf

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you just go to the Instagram page and they announce what time they will be live and if you click on their icon you can just join and watch and some are also available after the session is over if in a different time zone. 
Love our Young dancers are able to be taught and inspired by some of their biggest heroes. Of course also amazing for adult dancers to learn new things. 

It depends on the dancer @Peanut68.  if it's Instagram / YouTube you just go there and follow the video.  Sometimes they're recorded and sometimes they're not.  

Bennet Gartside's Instagram ballet class is I think not recorded, but some of the other classes are.  For example I did a bellydance class on YouTube earlier this week which was recorded as well and I'm doing a swing class on Tuesday over YouTube which is also to be recorded.  

I did a samba class this lunchtime via Zoom which was more interactive and where she wanted to see what I was doing.  That worked less well technically (although it was hugely fun) because I discovered my webcam wasn't working so I had to use my tablet which had a really tiny camera screen.  

None of them are a perfect substitute for being in the studio but they're the best the teachers can do in difficult circumstances as they're all making this up as they go. Also they stop me from going stir crazy from lack of dance.   

Edited by Tango Dancer

1 hour ago, Hambleton said:

Have you come across any others? Tanya Pearson lost me after 10 seconds. 

I've not found any other ballet classes apart from the Claudia Dean one I plan to try tomorrow evening at 9pm (if I'm still awake) but I'll post it if I do.  I think if any of the dance teachers on the forum want to run an adult beginner class on a regular basis, I'd be happy to pay for it and am sure I'm not the only one.  

I've done a really great samba class today with Monika Molnar from DanceMyWay (who teaches at Pineapple) and I'm doing a jazz dance class with Swing Patrol next week. 

My favourite dance forms apart from ballet are the more social partner dances so that's harder to do in isolation.  So I'm doing whatever dance forms I can find online.  

• Like 1

Just now, Peanut68 said:

Tango Dancer I’m impressed:- Ballet, Bellydance, Swing &  Samba

Wot no Tango???😁

Tango is a wonderful thing to do with someone but it's really dull on your own so it doesn't really lend itself to online classes.  All the fun for me comes from the chemistry with your partner. If I try online tango lessons it just makes me sad that I'm not at the usual classes talking to my tango friends. 

• Like 2

I have just picked this up from Sander Blommaert Ex Royal Ballet Soloist and now Vocational Teacher at Elmhurst who is stating daily on-line ballet classes on Intagram from Monday 23rd of March. Sander is a brilliant teacher, I used to belong to his BBT performing group until he moved to Elmhurst.

This is what he had to say on Instagram:

I can also announce that I will be going live on my instagram every morning at 11 AM UK time starting next Monday with me teaching Ballet Classes that you can follow at home.

I will also be giving you some exercises that you can do at home and I will give you pointers on things to work on during the exercises so that you can continue to develop your ballet technique in this current situation.

It is absolutely free! I am doing this because I know a lot of dancers won’t be able to join ballet classes for a while and as a vocational ballet teacher, I want to help all of you!

I want to give back to the art form that has given me so much my whole life!

Stay safe, and see you daily at the barre at 11 AM from next Monday!

@sanderblommaert

• Like 4

I don't have Instagram and don't particularly want to get it but do these then go onto YouTube anyway? 

I think Tamara Rojo from ENB is teaching classes on Facebook and or YouTube on ENB page which is easier for me but glad to see Sander is teaching anyway....people will be able to see how extraordinary he is! 

Ive downloaded Zoom App for more local teachers classes but haven't gone into it yet! 

• Like 2

On 16/03/2020 at 21:28, munchkin16 said:

Not live streamed but Kathryn Morgan has some good classes on YouTube. Her barre combinations are nice and she has a range of different level ones there.

I checked her out and recommended her to my students.  Looks like something the older ones could manage. I presume most of them have instagram (I don't) so I'll letvthem know about the classes suggested here. Thank you everyone - this thread is very helpful.

• Like 2

There will be a live stream for a warmup/ballet barre class tomorrow(Monday) at 10.30am by Charise Logan, former cast member of Phantom of the Opera and currently a member of the teaching faculty for Urdang. 
@livestreamdancefitness

@theurdang

@dancebasestudios 

@houseofjazzcompany. 

Open to all levels and suitable for even the most ‘compact’ of workout spaces. 

Get your Monday morning Motivation off to the right start🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🩰

DD getting a bit disgruntled about all these wonderful classes being on when she has school! Despite being home, they have to work to their usual school timetable,  with work being given online at that time!  Which is perfectly reasonable! 

We're just going to try and find them 'after school' .

1 hour ago, Pixiewoo said:

DD getting a bit disgruntled about all these wonderful classes being on when she has school! Despite being home, they have to work to their usual school timetable,  with work being given online at that time!  Which is perfectly reasonable! 

We're just going to try and find them 'after school' .

I totally understand.
A personal friend of mine Jordan, will be streaming a jazz tech class on Tuesday at 4.30pm for an hour. Understanding that students still have lessons to complete.
All levels welcome but probably aimed to those with sound knowledge of dance technique. 
Appreciate it’s not ballet but he is keen for all  dancers to maintain their fitness and stamina during this down time. Just like he has to.

As the class will come live from his own living room in London he will be fully aware of the limitations of most homes 😉
Jordan is a graduate of GSA, former cast member of Les Cage...... and current cast member of the WestEnd production of Mary Poppins. He’s also a member of the House of Jazz. And if that’s not enough he is a regular teacher at his old studios. 

Can be found on - 

@jerseyacademyofdancing. 

All are welcome. Keeeeeep Dancing. 
🕺🏻💃🏼☺️

• Like 1

My local studio is running real interactive classes online via Zoom, AND you can enroll as a casual drop-in student just like you can in real life. Choice of five adult classes per week!

They are an RAD studio so the adult classes are based in that style but without a syllabus. I’m not sure of the etiquette of posting links direct to schools but they are Downland Dance and the details are on their Facebook page.

Any advice on using Zoom both from a teacher and student perspective would be greatly appreciated please. My daughter is going to be using this to deliver her classes after the Easter break. In the meantime she has uploaded some PBT exercises on FB and will be spending the next 2 days in the studio filming more PBT, floor barre and some syllabus/non syllabus work to post on FB to keep the students going until her live streamed classes start.  This is such a steep learning curve for teachers, students and parents who, up until now, have only had experience of face to face classes. Good luck to all teachers and dancers during this difficult and worrying time. 

• Like 1

I’ve played about with zoom the past few days

I think numbers need to be restricted particularly so corrections can be given. They need to be quite far away from the camera to be seen fully. I feel it will be considerably slower than normal class as you will have to view each participant individually. Being able to mute everyone is very handy, a feature I’m sure I will miss when we get back to class! Supposed to be trying my first proper class on Tuesday so will feedback a bit more then. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Aurora3 said:

Will the videos of Tanya Pearson Academy stay on YouTube for long or will they be deleted after a certain time?

I expect it will stay there as students and past students will want to replay.

Dance schools in Australia were shut down today.  Some will use Zoom and the like.  In the state of Victoria they were due to go on holiday in a week anyway.  In New South Wales there was 3 weeks left before the Easter break.

7 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

I’ve played about with zoom the past few days

I think numbers need to be restricted particularly so corrections can be given. They need to be quite far away from the camera to be seen fully. I feel it will be considerably slower than normal class as you will have to view each participant individually. Being able to mute everyone is very handy, a feature I’m sure I will miss when we get back to class! Supposed to be trying my first proper class on Tuesday so will feedback a bit more then. 

Thank you for your advice Bluebird. It's much appreciated. Looking forward to your feedback after you've gone live.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, balletbean said:

I totally understand.
A personal friend of mine Jordan, will be streaming a jazz tech class on Tuesday at 4.30pm for an hour. Understanding that students still have lessons to complete.
All levels welcome but probably aimed to those with sound knowledge of dance technique. 
Appreciate it’s not ballet but he is keen for all  dancers to maintain their fitness and stamina during this down time. Just like he has to.

As the class will come live from his own living room in London he will be fully aware of the limitations of most homes 😉
Jordan is a graduate of GSA, former cast member of Les Cage...... and current cast member of the WestEnd production of Mary Poppins. He’s also a member of the House of Jazz. And if that’s not enough he is a regular teacher at his old studios. 

Can be found on - 

@jerseyacademyofdancing. 

All are welcome. Keeeeeep Dancing. 
🕺🏻💃🏼☺️

I'm not very technical, and this sounds great ... but where do i find it ? !!!!!

13 hours ago, RachelSkipper said:

My local studio is running real interactive classes online via Zoom, AND you can enroll as a casual drop-in student just like you can in real life. Choice of five adult classes per week!

They are an RAD studio so the adult classes are based in that style but without a syllabus. I’m not sure of the etiquette of posting links direct to schools but they are Downland Dance and the details are on their Facebook page.

I can’t seem to find the Facebook page @RachelSkipper

5 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

I'm not very technical, and this sounds great ... but where do i find it ? !!!!!

Welcome to the club. 
Having just received a lesson in ICT myself. 
The lessons are all steamed on instagram. 

Enjoy ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TYR said:

One piece of advice: think about whether the class can hear your *voice*. Don't wander away from the mic while introducing an exercise or giving corrections.

Thanks TYR, I will pass this advice on. I'm sure there will be teething problems to start which hopefully will be ironed out during the dummy runs my daughter is going to be doing over a few days with some of her older students. It's definitely been a steep learning curve so far!