Home Practice: Books and DVDs

Alexander

Sort of related to the probable impact of coronavirus (but I don't want to add this to the existing thread) on class availability.

What book and DVD recommendations do we have to encourage practice at home?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

Sort of related to the probable impact of coronavirus (but I don't want to add this to the existing thread) on class availability.

What book and DVD recommendations do we have to encourage practice at home?

I’m not an expert to answer this other than to say my daughter uses the RAD app on her phone 

• Like 1

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but we've often been warned not to practise at home without supervision because of the possibility of developing bad habits.  Obviously that may have to change to some extent, but to what extent?  How mature do you have to be as a dancer to be able to practise at home without risk?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but we've often been warned not to practise at home without supervision because of the possibility of developing bad habits.  Obviously that may have to change to some extent, but to what extent?  How mature do you have to be as a dancer to be able to practise at home without risk?

that is very true. mine will just practice the stuff they know, general stretching, progressing ballet technique which they have been shown how to do properly. 

• Like 2

General conditioning exercises are good, in particular floor work. Also most people could manage a simple barre at home. However even in normal times I remind pupils that the most famous principal dancers still go to class every day because you need someone else to make sure you are working correctly, and who can give corrections to avoid bad habits setting in.

• Like 5

On 16/03/2020 at 10:54, ArucariaBallerina said:

Kathryn Morgan barres are good for keeping up technique if you keep thinking of placement and corrections you have been given :) 

Can you please explain further? Is this an online barre class or a brand of barre to buy? 

@Peanut68 oh sorry I didn't make this very clear!

Kathryn Morgan is a YouTube channel (she is a soloist with Miami City Ballet) who has a wonderful range of ballet barres (classes) and centres for all levels and purposes (e.g beginner-advanced ballet class, pointe class, turnout specific barre, barre for port de bras etc). She usually gives corrections to keep in mind before each exercise too. 

I use them a lot in holidays usually.

P.S Love and good health to all dancers and families in these times ... I woke up today and had a massive heartache for already missing ballet. Im so grateful to have ballet classes tomorrow at school still x

• Like 3

I'm going to be doing some free online classes via my dance school on Facebook live - it's Warwick School of Dance. These are going to be aimed at community engagement and also ballet/tap/modern classes for younger children. I'm aware there is a wealth of pro/vocational level online material but less for children. If they go well I will be streaming classes and then if anyone wants private coaching via video I am going to be doing that too. 

• Like 4