BBC Arts announces 2020 dance season

BBC Arts announces line-up for 2020 dance season

BBC Arts has announced their 2020 Dance Season, which will include live performances filmed at Sadler’s Wells and the Royal Opera House as well as newly commissioned content exploring dance and the UK’s leading dancers and choreographers.

The season will include:

Revisor – Johnathon Young and Crystal Pite’s newest collaboration, hot on the heels of their Olivier Award-winning production, Betroffenheit. This unique interpretation of the Russian comic play The Inspector General is a fascinating hybrid of theatre and dance.

Danceworks – a series of films produced in a collaboration between the BBC and Sadler’s Wells, featuring aclaimed choreographers Sharon Eyal and María Pagés, Strictly stars Gorka Marquez and Karen Hauer and company Ballet Black, who performed during Stormzy’s Glastonbury set.

Yuli: The Carlos Acosta Story –  based on Carlos Acosta’s life; from growing up on the streets of Cuba through Cuba’s National Dance School all the way to performing at London’t Royal Ballet.

Men In Dance – a new film celebrating today’s male Royal Ballet dancers, with exclusive behind-the-scenes peek at the talented cohort.

Devil In The Feet – the story of Irish Dance and how it’s gone from a traditional folk dance to a global phenomenon.

imagine…Kate Prince: Every Move She Makes – follows the creator of Message In A Bottle as she embarks on her newest West End production. Alan Yentob will explore the impact of her work and her politics on the emerging generation of new young dancers.

BBC Introducing Arts: Dance – a series of dance films made by first-time and emerging film-makers.

https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/london-theatre-news-today-thursday-12-march/

• Like 9

2 hours ago, alison said:

Well spotted, thank you, Pulcinella.  I thought this one was of sufficient interest to have its own thread.

Perhaps one of these days the BBC will actually send us a press release ...

Details in Today's Links Alison!!

• Like 1

So I gather.  It must have been on the other thread that I said I was behind on the links this week through having no internet at work :(

I'm surprised that if this is a proper season they haven't made more of it, seeing that it starts on Sunday.  Perhaps I haven't been watching enough BBC4, but it would be nice to see it advertised on BBC2, at least.

3 hours ago, alison said:

BBC Arts has announced their 2020 Dance Season, which will include live performances filmed at Sadler’s Wells and the Royal Opera House ...

Would be really good to know what the filmed performances will be but I don’t see any detail. Rather hoping for Dances at a Gathering/The Cellist, particularly given the BBC’s reporting of the latter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

I'm assuming it's Mayerling.

I do hope you’re wrong on this - there’s no linkage to the BBC Dance Season in the Radio Times Mayerling billing etc and as you say Mayerling doesn’t feature in the BBC Dance Season publicity which seems odd as it would surely be the first programme?

On 13/03/2020 at 16:22, alison said:

Don't get my hopes up, John ... :) 

I may be clutching at straws but one of today’s links suggest that BBC’s Dance Season starts in May with some programmes later in the year, nothing about the season starting with tonight’s Mayerling (which I should make clear I’m delighted is being broadcast). So I think I’ll still hope to see further recorded performances from the Royal Ballet as part of the Dance Season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I may be clutching at straws but one of today’s links suggest that BBC’s Dance Season starts in May with some programmes later in the year, nothing about the season starting with tonight’s Mayerling (which I should make clear I’m delighted is being broadcast). So I think I’ll still hope to see further recorded performances from the Royal Ballet as part of the Dance Season.

Given that the RB recordings are already available to audiences in one form or another would it be ungracious to express the suggestion that the BBC should record performances by other companies?

• Like 3

So, quoting from the above link:

"

The film will show insight into the lives of graduate year students of The Royal Ballet School as they make their next steps, with spotlights on a world-renowned dancer, a principal in recovery from a career-threatening injury and the younger soloists taking the stage and social media by storm."

What are our bets?  A world- renowned dancer - Muntagirov? A Principal recovering from injury - McRae? Watson? Soloists prominent on  social media: (Sambe (although he is a Principal now)? Clarke? Sissens? Corrales?

Whoever is featured, I can't wait to see this.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

Given that the RB recordings are already available to audiences in one form or another would it be ungracious to express the suggestion that the BBC should record performances by other companies?

How often does the BBC actually record major dance performances, though?  It seems quite frequently to show ones from other companies which are being recorded for DVD anyway (and may possibly coproduce them), but rarely seems to do anything off its own bat.  And where the money would come from in the future given the increasing financial constraints on it, I don't know :( 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Glad to see that "Men at the Barre" has a broadcast date (27 May) per today's links

It seems weird that Culture Whisper has reviewed this series yet there hasn't been an ROH press release about it.

Contrary to earlier assumptions, the focus appears to be on Matthew Ball, Cesar Corrales,, Vadim Muntagirov and Marcelino Sambe.

How awful - I'm sure everyone will hate that ;) 

I'd been going to ask what was happening about the scheduled broadcast of Northern Ballet's Dracula, which I thought was supposed to be happening in mid-May or so.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, capybara said:

It seems weird that Culture Whisper has reviewed this series yet there hasn't been an ROH press release about it.

Perhaps the PR/marketing people have been furloughed?

It wouldn't by any means be the first time that Culture Whisper has previewed something way in advance.  I suspect a lot of ROH staff may well have been furloughed, but would have thought that a "skeleton staff" at least might have been retained.  OTOH, IIRC they haven't always been very active in announcing TV programmes - documentaries, at least -  have they?

Guest oncnp
27 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd been going to ask what was happening about the scheduled broadcast of Northern Ballet's Dracula, which I thought was supposed to be happening in mid-May or so.

Given that the Culture Whisper review indicated NB Dracula was going to be shown in April ( https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/northern_ballet_dracula_live_cinema_relay/14759I don't think I'll hold my breath  for Men at the Barre. But that was suppose to be a replay of a cinema relay v. a stand alone film so maybe.....

On 13/03/2020 at 10:33, Pulcinella said:

Revisor – Johnathon Young and Crystal Pite’s newest collaboration, hot on the heels of their Olivier Award-winning production, Betroffenheit. This unique interpretation of the Russian comic play The Inspector General is a fascinating hybrid of theatre and dance.

And is on BBC4 this coming Sunday - sometime after the watershed.  I'm looking forward to it, because I wasn't able to fit it into my schedule when it was at Sadler's Wells.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, alison said:

And is on BBC4 this coming Sunday - sometime after the watershed.  I'm looking forward to it, because I wasn't able to fit it into my schedule when it was at Sadler's Wells.

10:00 per Radio Times. 

Ah, actually I think it's probably all this week on BBC4 - at least until Thursday - from what I can see.  Will have a proper look later.

Which reminds me: apparently one of the papers last week published an article saying that BBC4 was rumoured to be under threat.  I certainly hope not, because looking at what's on offer this week I think it's probably all too niche to be on BBC2 - possibly even the BBC2 of the old days when it did show arts programmes on a more regular basis :(

On 13/05/2020 at 12:16, alison said:

Dracula by Northern Ballet

BBC Four HD
Freeview:106 Virgin:107BT:106 Freesat:107
Sun 31 May  10:00pm-11:45pm (1 hour 45 minutes)
  • Like 5