Coronavirus and its impact on schools etc. in UK

2 minutes ago, glissade said:

I had that problem too! Eventually, I realised you have to click on the heart twice - once, to make it jump up; a second time, to confirm that you like the post. Hope that helps! X

Thank you for this, I had been having the same issue for ages!!

• Like 2
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, MAK said:

Thank you for this, I had been having the same issue for ages!!

I was frustrated for ages too!! The first time the heart stayed in place was a major event - I'm not sure my family appreciated my delight ....! Anyway - happy to have been able to help 🙂 x

• Like 5

Just gone through my dance bag, removing half-squashed energy bars, putting miscellaneous warm-ups in the wash and tidying  everything else away for now. Just been dealing with emails from ENB and The Ballet Retreat dealing with repayments and credits for cancelled events. It's a very sad time 😢

• Like 5

I’ve sat and had a cry this afternoon, drafting an email to parents! It’s hard to put into words how much your children become part of our family, I think I speak for all teachers when I say this. I just hope and pray everyone stays safe and healthy mentally and physically and maintains their love of dance 

• Like 19
11 hours ago, Kanangra said:

I hope so but they think it might have actually begun in November - they tried to keep it quiet initially.

Since all countries are introducing isolation measures lets hope so. And of course they are close to finding a vaccination and have found some drugs they can use to treat it.

I suspect it's going to be a while longer than that.  Don't forget that there may be the problem of it resurfacing if restrictions are lifted.  And while there seems to be progress made in terms of a vaccination, I think a truly viable one, as opposed to a rough-and-ready preliminary one, is probably still some way off.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, alison said:

I suspect it's going to be a while longer than that.  Don't forget that there may be the problem of it resurfacing if restrictions are lifted.  And while there seems to be progress made in terms of a vaccination, I think a truly viable one, as opposed to a rough-and-ready preliminary one, is probably still some way off.

C-19 is structurally part of the same group as SARS, which has been around for a while and no vaccine has been found yet. If they find one now, that'll be highly impressive. As you said, resurfacing may occur. And potentially in a slightly different form that may negate the vaccine which isn't ideal! In the meantime, the best we can hope for is for long enough self-isolation to "dry it out".

Edited by FlowerPower
  • Like 1

Please everyone take self isolation seriously and maybe we can control this spread. We in Portugal are in a State of Emergency, except for the last tourists left here, who still seem oblivious. We are still at a point of being able to count the threads of infection, so it is not as bad as might be, but that is why it has been declared....as a preventative measure. 

Online classes are springing up all over.

Teachers in Portugal are setting online lessons daily in certain sites(don't ask me how, I am not that technical) and their pupils are joining them in real time and filming themselves back. It was Fathers Day yesterday, so the sons and daughters got their dads doing duets and pas de deux lifts. The films have raised a smile or two.

Written homework and quizzes can be set. Games/ wordsearches invented. You teachers can maintain your contacts with your pupils, keep spirits up, entertain them for parents searching for quarantine activities, keep them fit, and the parents too. You will be all the more important in their lives now, not less. So don't lose heart. Reinvent classes. Choreograph funny dances. Teach new stuff. Plan a celebration show for when restrictions are lifted. Get mums sewing, teach the kids to sew and make props.

On a personal note, Kanangra, I managed to get my youngest DD on a flight home two days ago, but my Musical D opted to stay in the UK, with the offer of going to a friends house, but she has international friends at the Conservatoire battening down the hatches in the student residence because they can't get home now. A friend in a vocational school opted to stay in their digs with a Spanish boy.  Friends are going to become the new family in these extreme times.

Look after yourselves and each other and keep positive but not dismissive of precautions.   We have an expression circulating here, that sort of says 'If you stay away from me now, the quicker we will be together again/ or the closer we are'.

• Like 9

NBS closed at 6.30pm yesterday, immediately after they performed their Easter show behind closed doors.😢

Recorded for their assessments. 
Emotional time for all but they kept smiling through to their final curtain call 👏🏻👏🏻 
DD flew home today, just hours after our Gov changed policy. We are now on a compulsory 14 day household isolation. 
Ballet Barre hauled out of storage and ready to embrace the online lessons that are going to be streamed. 
A past pupil of DD’s old studio who should be performing in the WestEnd is also going to stream a jazz class next week, designed for the more compact living room. 😉. Even some mums are going to give it a go !!! Ouch. I can feel the body aching before I start. 
Principal has encouraged everyone to share their photos as they ‘home school’ 😉😁
Challenging times ahead for all but I’m sure there’s going to be a fantastic (distance) dance community thriving. Finding amazing new ways to stay fit and connected. 💻📺📲

Stay safe everyone and keeeeep dancing

🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🕺🏻💃🏼👯👯‍♀️

• Like 1

Not actual dance but Joe Wicks the body coach will be doing free home workouts on youtube Monday to Friday at 9am for 30 mins starting on Monday 23rd March designed as a fun workout for school age children. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiw5qHNwanoAhVxQkEAHfxqBg4QFjAKegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebodycoach.com%2Fblog%2Fpe-with-joe-1254.html&usg=AOvVaw2mv0--7TmHYOl4mgl_XXdB

• Like 1

Had a very strange exam session today being both camera operator and examiner. Continuous exercises on the diagonals were tricky, trying to fit in both the end of one dancer and the start of the next. The girls did fabulously but I felt sorry for the grade 8s for whom this was their final ballet exam. Not quite the same experience without an actual examiner present.

• Like 1

Ds home from Trinity Laban, which stopped classes on Monday (he’s on the Graduate Dance Diploma). Luckily they’d finished the auditions and recalls for the MA inDance Performance/Transitions Dance Company and he’s on it for September regardless of what happens this summer. But who knows what will be happening come the autumn. I feel sorry for this year’s Transitions’ dancers as they trained last autumn and started their company tour only recently - which they must now be missing. He’s trying to find online classes to keep himself going. Apparently there was an ENB one this morning? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, amum/Cathy said:

Ds home from Trinity Laban, which stopped classes on Monday (he’s on the Graduate Dance Diploma). Luckily they’d finished the auditions and recalls for the MA inDance Performance/Transitions Dance Company and he’s on it for September regardless of what happens this summer. But who knows what will be happening come the autumn. I feel sorry for this year’s Transitions’ dancers as they trained last autumn and started their company tour only recently - which they must now be missing. He’s trying to find online classes to keep himself going. Apparently there was an ENB one this morning? 

Yes - Tamara Rojo gave a class via the ENB Facebook page, and it's still on their YouTube channel. It was excellent!

• Like 1

Thanks bridiem and bangorboy. He’s got limited space at the moment as we’ve put him in the guest room which has its own bathroom and outside door, just to make sure he hasn’t brought the CV from London. We’ll let him into the main house on Tuesday when he will be able to swing his legs a little more freely. Maybe no grand jetes though 🤣