Jump to content
Pas de Quatre

Coronavirus and its impact on schools etc. in UK

Recommended Posts

I have lessons at two different dance schools. One has closed from today, the other will close from Thursday. We will probably do the filmed exams, but details aren't available yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RHowarth said:

I am doing mine tomorrow and being filmed!

 

I'm not sure the camera will be kind to me, nor how it will feel to be in an exam without the adrenalin of an examiner - but I'm so very relieved that it's happening!

 

Ps been trying to like posts on this thread but my likes always disappear once I leave the page.

 

So glad you have a solution! Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

My dance school hasn’t yet closed but I’m considering not going as I’m a moderate asthmatic. Opinions? Am I overreacting? 


when you say moderate, are you on a steroid inhaler long term and qualify for the flu jab? If you are you need to go for stringent social distancing, technically just from Saturday but depending where you are in the country- if a city do it now. So no I wouldn’t go to ballet 😫

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fascinated by being able to film the exam 

How does this happen? Do you film it yourself? 

Where do you go to do it ( just imagining my place .....would take a week to organise a proper space) 

Im glad it's worked out for you but would like to know more about it? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peony said:


when you say moderate, are you on a steroid inhaler long term and qualify for the flu jab? If you are you need to go for stringent social distancing, technically just from Saturday but depending where you are in the country- if a city do it now. So no I wouldn’t go to ballet 😫

Yes twice a day (when I wake up and before bed) I need to take a dose of my blue inhaler followed by 2 of my brown (steroid) inhaler, all through a spacer. I get chest infections about 3 times a year generally so wouldn’t know how to differentiate Coronavirus from my usual issues. 
I don’t want to just skip ballet as it makes me happier than anything in the world. But I’m starting to worry it may be necessary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do qualify for the flu jab but have always refused it as my mum got severely ill after taking it. I now feel so very stupid for that decision 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm fascinated by being able to film the exam 

How does this happen? Do you film it yourself? 

Where do you go to do it ( just imagining my place .....would take a week to organise a proper space) 

Im glad it's worked out for you but would like to know more about it? 

 

Hi Linn, the space was already booked for the session so no changes there - exams running to timetable in that space. I've been told the camera will be set up where the examiner's table would have been and it absolutely must be continuously filmed. Teacher will direct the exam in place of examiner but not allowed of course to make any comment, and I believe she needs to remain in view of the camera too. I'm told that as soon as the session is finished, the film will be sent digitally to RAD and think there is time sensitivity there.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

41 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

Yes twice a day (when I wake up and before bed) I need to take a dose of my blue inhaler followed by 2 of my brown (steroid) inhaler, all through a spacer. I get chest infections about 3 times a year generally so wouldn’t know how to differentiate Coronavirus from my usual issues. 
I don’t want to just skip ballet as it makes me happier than anything in the world. But I’m starting to worry it may be necessary 


I am similar and am starting the 3 months distancing, it is a horrible thing to have to do, especially not seeing family properly, and lack of ballet! I think virtually all classes will stop soon anyway though. If you’re in London I would definitely not go, if you’re rural then not so bad, I’d keep some distance between you and the other dancers and be very diligent with wiping the barre down etc. Perhaps when you can, get a review as you shouldn’t really need the reliever on a regular basis. I stepped up to a combination inhaler and practically never get symptoms now. Just with infections  really 😫 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@DeveloppeD I am a doctor with decades of experience in critical care medicine and in your shoes I, personally, would not be going anywhere that I didn't absolutely need to be.

Watch some beautiful ballet on dvd or online, keep up some stretching and keep yourself well so that when normality returns you can get back to your classes in good health.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that RHowarth not sure which is the more unnerving having a real examiner or being filmed ....which could be more unforgiving in the end! ( An examiner can sometimes let you start again or repeat the odd thing I think!) 

But wishing you all the very best it is a good feeling to finally conclude something you've been working towards for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Central School has shut down this week, while Danceworks is still open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and there's going to be an announcement, regarding the Central Tour too. What a shame and disappointment for all the students involved.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This virus could and almost certainly will create all sorts of problems further down the line, such as Year7 entries, right up to company auditions, in September time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked in again, and Danceworks is still ops normal.

 

Westminster is currently the nation's leading virus cluster. DW runs wildly different groups one after another in the same studios all day, with a lot of drop-ins, a lot of the studios are barely ventilated, and I have never seen any cleaning between groups, even after the virus was here. They are taking too many chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, that's not good :(  It's not only a matter of the dancers, who may well be fit and healthy, but the people who they might transfer the virus to, who might not be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - my DD is at NSCD and they are telling me that they are doing limited classes the next two weeks and using the time and the holidays to work out how to implement online learning if necessary - they hope & expect to open on 20 April for next term as usual. But, that was before the big announcement re UK schools closing till September ! We wanted her to stay put and lie low in Leeds (she has dual citizenship) but she wants to come home to Australia. Just wondering if any of you have any info on what the other vocational schools are doing? is it your expectation that they will all go online for third term? I would prefer she was there when things start up again rather than having to travel back but I also understand she is 18 and wants to be with her family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

This virus could and almost certainly will create all sorts of problems further down the line, such as Year7 entries, right up to company auditions, in September time.

It has already created problems for those I know auditioning this year, because (some?) auditions have been cancelled this spring. So that means whenever things get back to normal-ish again, there could be two years’ worth  of dancers looking for jobs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Even if auditions are cancelled now, the Vocational schools will not want an empty year group in September, so I am sure they will hold auditions at some point. It may not be in the format we are used to, could be video preselection or skype/zoom to observe the dancer.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kanangra said:

Hi - my DD is at NSCD and they are telling me that they are doing limited classes the next two weeks and using the time and the holidays to work out how to implement online learning if necessary - they hope & expect to open on 20 April for next term as usual. But, that was before the big announcement re UK schools closing till September ! We wanted her to stay put and lie low in Leeds (she has dual citizenship) but she wants to come home to Australia. Just wondering if any of you have any info on what the other vocational schools are doing? is it your expectation that they will all go online for third term? I would prefer she was there when things start up again rather than having to travel back but I also understand she is 18 and wants to be with her family.

UK schools are closed after tomorrow until further notice. In practise this may be until September but that has not actually been announced at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAK said:

UK schools are closed after tomorrow until further notice. In practise this may be until September but that has not actually been announced at this point.

That includes higher ed institutions too? I wasn't sure...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Even if auditions are cancelled now, the Vocational schools will not want an empty year group in September, so I am sure they will hold auditions at some point. It may not be in the format we are used to, could be video preselection or skype/zoom to observe the dancer.

 

Maybe they will use the same procedures they do for international students, who have to send in a video and photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kanangra said:

That includes higher ed institutions too? I wasn't sure...

 

 

Good question, we're not at that stage yet with our DC. Hopefully more guidance out soon 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told to assume nothing will re-open after Easter....and to prepare to be closed for a long time:-(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the epidemic in Wuhan is winding down. So it lasted just under 3 months. Dare we hope we will be over the worst in the same time frame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It seems the epidemic in Wuhan is winding down. So it lasted just under 3 months. Dare we hope we will be over the worst in the same time frame?

I hope so but they think it might have actually begun in November - they tried to keep it quiet initially.

 

Since all countries are introducing isolation measures lets hope so. And of course they are close to finding a vaccination and have found some drugs they can use to treat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is healthy, and coping with this awful situation.  DD is so upset as this week have seen cancellations from her chance to dance easter school, her weekly elmhurst class and finally today her dance school closed who have valiantly tried to carry on as long as they could.  They are going to be running their classes online which has lifted her spirits and we are going to be fact timing dance friends and trying to make the best of it.  EYB have also been great at trying to keep as much going as they can or rearranging.  The one thing I was wondering about was JA auditions this year! RBS put a message out saying they were planning on still running them in April and May, but wonder what the alternative would be if they couldn't? This is just so astonishing isn't it! Sending love to all on here who are dance teachers or dance school owners. As a fellow small business owner I recognise how stressful this must be.  x

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kanangra said:

I hope so but they think it might have actually begun in November - they tried to keep it quiet initially.

 

Since all countries are introducing isolation measures lets hope so. And of course they are close to finding a vaccination and have found some drugs they can use to treat it.


it’s seems likely it may have been circulating in other countries earlier than we think too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2020 at 20:26, RHowarth said:

Ps been trying to like posts on this thread but my likes always disappear once I leave the page.

I had that problem too! Eventually, I realised you have to click on the heart twice - once, to make it jump up; a second time, to confirm that you like the post. Hope that helps! X

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...