Coronavirus and its impact on schools etc. in UK

Pas de Quatre

Thanks for that RHowarth not sure which is the more unnerving having a real examiner or being filmed ....which could be more unforgiving in the end! ( An examiner can sometimes let you start again or repeat the odd thing I think!) 

But wishing you all the very best it is a good feeling to finally conclude something you've been working towards for a while. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked in again, and Danceworks is still ops normal.

Westminster is currently the nation's leading virus cluster. DW runs wildly different groups one after another in the same studios all day, with a lot of drop-ins, a lot of the studios are barely ventilated, and I have never seen any cleaning between groups, even after the virus was here. They are taking too many chances.

Hi - my DD is at NSCD and they are telling me that they are doing limited classes the next two weeks and using the time and the holidays to work out how to implement online learning if necessary - they hope & expect to open on 20 April for next term as usual. But, that was before the big announcement re UK schools closing till September ! We wanted her to stay put and lie low in Leeds (she has dual citizenship) but she wants to come home to Australia. Just wondering if any of you have any info on what the other vocational schools are doing? is it your expectation that they will all go online for third term? I would prefer she was there when things start up again rather than having to travel back but I also understand she is 18 and wants to be with her family.

6 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

This virus could and almost certainly will create all sorts of problems further down the line, such as Year7 entries, right up to company auditions, in September time.

It has already created problems for those I know auditioning this year, because (some?) auditions have been cancelled this spring. So that means whenever things get back to normal-ish again, there could be two years’ worth  of dancers looking for jobs.

• Like 1

Even if auditions are cancelled now, the Vocational schools will not want an empty year group in September, so I am sure they will hold auditions at some point. It may not be in the format we are used to, could be video preselection or skype/zoom to observe the dancer.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kanangra said:

Hi - my DD is at NSCD and they are telling me that they are doing limited classes the next two weeks and using the time and the holidays to work out how to implement online learning if necessary - they hope & expect to open on 20 April for next term as usual. But, that was before the big announcement re UK schools closing till September ! We wanted her to stay put and lie low in Leeds (she has dual citizenship) but she wants to come home to Australia. Just wondering if any of you have any info on what the other vocational schools are doing? is it your expectation that they will all go online for third term? I would prefer she was there when things start up again rather than having to travel back but I also understand she is 18 and wants to be with her family.

UK schools are closed after tomorrow until further notice. In practise this may be until September but that has not actually been announced at this point.

1 hour ago, MAK said:

UK schools are closed after tomorrow until further notice. In practise this may be until September but that has not actually been announced at this point.

That includes higher ed institutions too? I wasn't sure...

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Even if auditions are cancelled now, the Vocational schools will not want an empty year group in September, so I am sure they will hold auditions at some point. It may not be in the format we are used to, could be video preselection or skype/zoom to observe the dancer.

Maybe they will use the same procedures they do for international students, who have to send in a video and photos.

25 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It seems the epidemic in Wuhan is winding down. So it lasted just under 3 months. Dare we hope we will be over the worst in the same time frame?

I hope so but they think it might have actually begun in November - they tried to keep it quiet initially.

Since all countries are introducing isolation measures lets hope so. And of course they are close to finding a vaccination and have found some drugs they can use to treat it.

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is healthy, and coping with this awful situation.  DD is so upset as this week have seen cancellations from her chance to dance easter school, her weekly elmhurst class and finally today her dance school closed who have valiantly tried to carry on as long as they could.  They are going to be running their classes online which has lifted her spirits and we are going to be fact timing dance friends and trying to make the best of it.  EYB have also been great at trying to keep as much going as they can or rearranging.  The one thing I was wondering about was JA auditions this year! RBS put a message out saying they were planning on still running them in April and May, but wonder what the alternative would be if they couldn't? This is just so astonishing isn't it! Sending love to all on here who are dance teachers or dance school owners. As a fellow small business owner I recognise how stressful this must be.  x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kanangra said:

I hope so but they think it might have actually begun in November - they tried to keep it quiet initially.

Since all countries are introducing isolation measures lets hope so. And of course they are close to finding a vaccination and have found some drugs they can use to treat it.

it’s seems likely it may have been circulating in other countries earlier than we think too

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 20:26, RHowarth said:

Ps been trying to like posts on this thread but my likes always disappear once I leave the page.

I had that problem too! Eventually, I realised you have to click on the heart twice - once, to make it jump up; a second time, to confirm that you like the post. Hope that helps! X

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, glissade said:

I had that problem too! Eventually, I realised you have to click on the heart twice - once, to make it jump up; a second time, to confirm that you like the post. Hope that helps! X

Thank you for this, I had been having the same issue for ages!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MAK said:

Thank you for this, I had been having the same issue for ages!!

I was frustrated for ages too!! The first time the heart stayed in place was a major event - I'm not sure my family appreciated my delight ....! Anyway - happy to have been able to help 🙂 x

• Like 5

Just gone through my dance bag, removing half-squashed energy bars, putting miscellaneous warm-ups in the wash and tidying  everything else away for now. Just been dealing with emails from ENB and The Ballet Retreat dealing with repayments and credits for cancelled events. It's a very sad time 😢

• Like 5

I’ve sat and had a cry this afternoon, drafting an email to parents! It’s hard to put into words how much your children become part of our family, I think I speak for all teachers when I say this. I just hope and pray everyone stays safe and healthy mentally and physically and maintains their love of dance 

• Like 19

11 hours ago, Kanangra said:

I suspect it's going to be a while longer than that.  Don't forget that there may be the problem of it resurfacing if restrictions are lifted.  And while there seems to be progress made in terms of a vaccination, I think a truly viable one, as opposed to a rough-and-ready preliminary one, is probably still some way off.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, alison said:

I suspect it's going to be a while longer than that.  Don't forget that there may be the problem of it resurfacing if restrictions are lifted.  And while there seems to be progress made in terms of a vaccination, I think a truly viable one, as opposed to a rough-and-ready preliminary one, is probably still some way off.

C-19 is structurally part of the same group as SARS, which has been around for a while and no vaccine has been found yet. If they find one now, that'll be highly impressive. As you said, resurfacing may occur. And potentially in a slightly different form that may negate the vaccine which isn't ideal! In the meantime, the best we can hope for is for long enough self-isolation to "dry it out".

Edited by FlowerPower
  • Like 1

Please everyone take self isolation seriously and maybe we can control this spread. We in Portugal are in a State of Emergency, except for the last tourists left here, who still seem oblivious. We are still at a point of being able to count the threads of infection, so it is not as bad as might be, but that is why it has been declared....as a preventative measure. 

Online classes are springing up all over.

Teachers in Portugal are setting online lessons daily in certain sites(don't ask me how, I am not that technical) and their pupils are joining them in real time and filming themselves back. It was Fathers Day yesterday, so the sons and daughters got their dads doing duets and pas de deux lifts. The films have raised a smile or two.

Written homework and quizzes can be set. Games/ wordsearches invented. You teachers can maintain your contacts with your pupils, keep spirits up, entertain them for parents searching for quarantine activities, keep them fit, and the parents too. You will be all the more important in their lives now, not less. So don't lose heart. Reinvent classes. Choreograph funny dances. Teach new stuff. Plan a celebration show for when restrictions are lifted. Get mums sewing, teach the kids to sew and make props.

On a personal note, Kanangra, I managed to get my youngest DD on a flight home two days ago, but my Musical D opted to stay in the UK, with the offer of going to a friends house, but she has international friends at the Conservatoire battening down the hatches in the student residence because they can't get home now. A friend in a vocational school opted to stay in their digs with a Spanish boy.  Friends are going to become the new family in these extreme times.

Look after yourselves and each other and keep positive but not dismissive of precautions.   We have an expression circulating here, that sort of says 'If you stay away from me now, the quicker we will be together again/ or the closer we are'.

• Like 9

NBS closed at 6.30pm yesterday, immediately after they performed their Easter show behind closed doors.😢

Recorded for their assessments. 
Emotional time for all but they kept smiling through to their final curtain call 👏🏻👏🏻 
DD flew home today, just hours after our Gov changed policy. We are now on a compulsory 14 day household isolation. 
Ballet Barre hauled out of storage and ready to embrace the online lessons that are going to be streamed. 
A past pupil of DD’s old studio who should be performing in the WestEnd is also going to stream a jazz class next week, designed for the more compact living room. 😉. Even some mums are going to give it a go !!! Ouch. I can feel the body aching before I start. 
Principal has encouraged everyone to share their photos as they ‘home school’ 😉😁
Challenging times ahead for all but I’m sure there’s going to be a fantastic (distance) dance community thriving. Finding amazing new ways to stay fit and connected. 💻📺📲

Stay safe everyone and keeeeep dancing

🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🕺🏻💃🏼👯👯‍♀️

• Like 1