Coronavirus and its impact on schools etc. in UK

Pas de Quatre

I am shutting a week earlier than planned now my exam session has understandably been cancelled by the RAD. 

My son and I have been arriving extra early at our studios to clean and our students have been super careful at hand washing. 

Many students have been staying away anyway. Health is more important than Ballet. 

I will be putting lots of Ballet clips on the school Facebook page for my students to enjoy! 

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, hfbrew said:

I am shutting a week earlier than planned now my exam session has understandably been cancelled by RAD.

When was your session? I'm due to do Advanced 1 tomorrow and waiting with bated breath....

At the moment I am still open as all our local schools are. There are just two families self isolating after contact with possibly infected people. As no tests are being carried out there is no way to confirm.

However I rather expect that this will be my last week, or we may need to stop suddenly. Thank goodness for modern communications, a simple group email and a posting on my school's private facebook group keeps everyone up to date.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Hope it can go ahead & wishing you really good luck! xx

Thank you. I'm 33 and, without going into detail on a public forum, life is complicated and I'm not sure I'll be able to postpone rather than cancel, so I've got everything crossed although  not holding out much hope.

• Like 1

Fantastic to hear of an adult dancer supported to progress through the Vocational levels! 

I’d be interested to hear if you are in a ‘regular’ class & general ages....

I took  RAD Inter aged 50 a couple of years ago but have since struggled to find any class to progress & sadly now feel I’ve completely lost the standard/fitness/health level  I’d reached 🙁

But am ever hopeful that one day I can ‘get it back!’ If only I could find a class in a location on a day I can regularly attend! (Privates not an option financially sadly) 

In these challenging times maybe I’ll find some online option that just might kickstart me again! 🤞🏻

Life for us adult dancers is often complicated..... your story is reminding me to try give myself a proverbial kick up the **** & just try get on & somehow make it happen! 

GOOD LUCK! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 2

The RAD is offering the option of filming exams and having it viewed by a panel of examiners at a later date so I hope that's available to you RHowarth.

Fingers crossed for you all. Staying safe is important but that doesn't stop the frustration and disappointment does it?

• Like 1

Sad times indeed but with RAD exams cancelled I'm making the difficult decision to close early for Easter too. But I'm going to offer private lessons to those pupils who have paid enough fees to cover the costs. After Easter - who knows!

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Fantastic to hear of an adult dancer supported to progress through the Vocational levels! 

I’d be interested to hear if you are in a ‘regular’ class & general ages....

I did Grade 8 and pre ele as a teenager and did the vocational work up to adv 1 but didn't do any vocational exams after pre ele. I did non syllabus classes while at university and after that moved to a new city and did Cecchetti inter. Then moved back to hometown and started doing RAD again with old teacher. Built my classes up until I was taking all the same classes as the teenagers were: two syllabus classes, 1 pointe and 1 body conditioning each week. At some point in this process the RAD changed the syllabus! Did Adv 1 on and off as there wasn't always provision for it in the timetable so sometimes did foundation instead. It was suggested to me several times that I entered for the exam but with one thing and another I didn't enter til this term. I'm not sure I really agreed to it even then, just found my name on the list! And  now, best laid plans and all that as I've just had confirmation of postponement.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

I was supposed to be taking Grade 7 next Friday. My teacher has just asked me what I think about the option of filming it. If the exam is rescheduled (which presumably wouldn't be for some months), that would mean having to get up to fitness and exam quality again after a gap in working as presumably schools will be closing soon. Though I only have a private lesson and I don't know if private lessons would be allowed to continue even if classes stop. I think  I might prefer to crack on with working for Grade 8 and then take 7 and 8 together once life reverts to normal.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RHowarth said:

I did Grade 8 and pre ele as a teenager and did the vocational work up to adv 1 but didn't do any vocational exams after pre ele. I did non syllabus classes while at university and after that moved to a new city and did Cecchetti inter. Then moved back to hometown and started doing RAD again with old teacher. Built my classes up until I was taking all the same classes as the teenagers were: two syllabus classes, 1 pointe and 1 body conditioning each week. At some point in this process the RAD changed the syllabus! Did Adv 1 on and off as there wasn't always provision for it in the timetable so sometimes did foundation instead. It was suggested to me several times that I entered for the exam but with one thing and another I didn't enter til this term. I'm not sure I really agreed to it even then, just found my name on the list! And  now, best laid plans and all that as I've just had confirmation of postponement.

Oh no! I feel deeply for all who are affected by this.... so much prep building up to the exam day..... just hope all can maintain the momentum & am sure all will do their best as & when normality can return 

Sending hugs x

4 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

I was supposed to be taking Grade 7 next Friday. My teacher has just asked me what I think about the option of filming it. If the exam is rescheduled (which presumably wouldn't be for some months), that would mean having to get up to fitness and exam quality again after a gap in working as presumably schools will be closing soon. Though I only have a private lesson and I don't know if private lessons would be allowed to continue even if classes stop. I think  I might prefer to crack on with working for Grade 8 and then take 7 and 8 together once life reverts to normal.

I totally sympathise with you. There has been an announcement earlier today that RAD have officially suspended all examinations. 
RAD HQ is also suspending all their degree courses to at least the end of the Easter Holidays. 

The dance school where my DD is currently working takes its cue on closure from the local academic schools and hence is still open. However, I suspect it may only be a matter of days before schools are closed. My children's school has just instigated a partial closure due to staff shortages and we have had details of E-learning sent home in preparation for any full closure. I really feel for those doing GCSE or A levels this year, or for students sitting final examinations. I hope the examining boards will make allowances for any disruption.

Both sports I am involved with have suspended all activities now. I fear dancing will have to follow soon. ☹

Hammond has cancelled graduate showcase performance (open to public) and agents’ performances in Chester and London. They may be rearranged if possible in future. 

Message from school said that the decision had been made to cancel ‘some’ events. 

12 minutes ago, Karen said:

Hammond has cancelled graduate showcase performance (open to public) and agents’ performances in Chester and London. They may be rearranged if possible in future. 

Message from school said that the decision had been made to cancel ‘some’ events. 

That must be so devastating after so much hard work & anticipation. Thoughts go out to all....

Guess other colleges in same boat re: grad showcases so let’s hope this is just a slight postponement to them all getting the opportunity to show their talents & embark on fulfilling careers! 

As the song goes...

”pick yourself up, dust yourself off & start all over again!” 

Thats showbiz

• Like 1

I am aware that this is post about UK schools and apologise in advance for my question.  But do any of you have currently your DD or DS studying overseas? What is your plan? Bring them home, leave them there? Especially if the school is still open and running?

• Like 1

Ds is in a company in Florida who have announced today that the season is over til August. But they are very generously paying their dancers til the end of the season and assisting them with getting home. Ds is staying there for as long as he can, why would he want to come home to a house full of NHS nurses 😷 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Ds is in a company in Florida who have announced today that the season is over til August. But they are very generously paying their dancers til the end of the season and assisting them with getting home. Ds is staying there for as long as he can, why would he want to come home to a house full of NHS nurses 😷 

Thank you for your response, DD (90 miles from Florida) does want to stay...i guess it is me being little panicky regarding flights and closing borders.

5 hours ago, balletbean said:

I totally sympathise with you. There has been an announcement earlier today that RAD have officially suspended all examinations. 
RAD HQ is also suspending all their degree courses to at least the end of the Easter Holidays. 

I am doing mine tomorrow and being filmed!

I'm not sure the camera will be kind to me, nor how it will feel to be in an exam without the adrenalin of an examiner - but I'm so very relieved that it's happening!

Ps been trying to like posts on this thread but my likes always disappear once I leave the page.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RHowarth said:

I am doing mine tomorrow and being filmed!

I'm not sure the camera will be kind to me, nor how it will feel to be in an exam without the adrenalin of an examiner - but I'm so very relieved that it's happening!

Ps been trying to like posts on this thread but my likes always disappear once I leave the page.

So glad you have a solution! Best of luck!

58 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

My dance school hasn’t yet closed but I’m considering not going as I’m a moderate asthmatic. Opinions? Am I overreacting? 

when you say moderate, are you on a steroid inhaler long term and qualify for the flu jab? If you are you need to go for stringent social distancing, technically just from Saturday but depending where you are in the country- if a city do it now. So no I wouldn’t go to ballet 😫

• Like 2

I'm fascinated by being able to film the exam 

How does this happen? Do you film it yourself? 

Where do you go to do it ( just imagining my place .....would take a week to organise a proper space) 

Im glad it's worked out for you but would like to know more about it? 

8 minutes ago, Peony said:

when you say moderate, are you on a steroid inhaler long term and qualify for the flu jab? If you are you need to go for stringent social distancing, technically just from Saturday but depending where you are in the country- if a city do it now. So no I wouldn’t go to ballet 😫

Yes twice a day (when I wake up and before bed) I need to take a dose of my blue inhaler followed by 2 of my brown (steroid) inhaler, all through a spacer. I get chest infections about 3 times a year generally so wouldn’t know how to differentiate Coronavirus from my usual issues. 
I don’t want to just skip ballet as it makes me happier than anything in the world. But I’m starting to worry it may be necessary 

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm fascinated by being able to film the exam 

How does this happen? Do you film it yourself? 

Where do you go to do it ( just imagining my place .....would take a week to organise a proper space) 

Im glad it's worked out for you but would like to know more about it? 

Hi Linn, the space was already booked for the session so no changes there - exams running to timetable in that space. I've been told the camera will be set up where the examiner's table would have been and it absolutely must be continuously filmed. Teacher will direct the exam in place of examiner but not allowed of course to make any comment, and I believe she needs to remain in view of the camera too. I'm told that as soon as the session is finished, the film will be sent digitally to RAD and think there is time sensitivity there.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

Yes twice a day (when I wake up and before bed) I need to take a dose of my blue inhaler followed by 2 of my brown (steroid) inhaler, all through a spacer. I get chest infections about 3 times a year generally so wouldn’t know how to differentiate Coronavirus from my usual issues. 
I don’t want to just skip ballet as it makes me happier than anything in the world. But I’m starting to worry it may be necessary 

I am similar and am starting the 3 months distancing, it is a horrible thing to have to do, especially not seeing family properly, and lack of ballet! I think virtually all classes will stop soon anyway though. If you’re in London I would definitely not go, if you’re rural then not so bad, I’d keep some distance between you and the other dancers and be very diligent with wiping the barre down etc. Perhaps when you can, get a review as you shouldn’t really need the reliever on a regular basis. I stepped up to a combination inhaler and practically never get symptoms now. Just with infections  really 😫 

@DeveloppeD I am a doctor with decades of experience in critical care medicine and in your shoes I, personally, would not be going anywhere that I didn't absolutely need to be.

Watch some beautiful ballet on dvd or online, keep up some stretching and keep yourself well so that when normality returns you can get back to your classes in good health.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 6