Glyndebourne Festival

Coated

How popular is the Rake's Progress? My friend just about managed to get something affordable under the rafters, which was lucky since the upper circle was sold out for all performances by the time I got through the queue. Saying that, I think their booking system is pretty neat with a simple one-click from performance to performance, staying in your chosen area of the house. Blessed efficient simplicity compared to the ROH kerfuffle.

I was tempted to go for their Fidelio to compare productions, but thinking of trains nipped that in the bud

It's a very famous and notable production - designs by David Hockney - of a not especially popular opera. I imagine it is the kind of thing people would make an effort for as it's probably Glyndebourne's most famous production and it hasn't been put on for I think about 10 years. The cast is pretty good too.

But I'm not the best person to ask about the opera itself as I have issues with Stravinsky which I won't bore you with (unless you really want to know!).

• Like 1

I must admit I was surprised to find all(?) performances of The Rake's Progress in the highest price bracket (so, tickets for a revival of a fairly "niche" opera were more expensive than those for new productions of Alcina, Dialogues de Carmelites and Fidelio).  Clearly the company is confident in its ability to sell out this cult production.