BRB Winter Casting - Cinderella - Birmingham

BRB has posted the casting for Cinderella at the Hippodrome. Some interesting casting - I am looking forward to seeing Chi as Cinderella! (I am sure the typos will be corrected on the BRB website soon!)

21 November 2012 7:30 pm

Cinderella: Elisha Willis

Prince: Iain Mackay

22 November 2012 2:00 pm

Cinderella: Nao Sakuma

Prince: Jamie Bond

22 November 2012 7:30 pm

Cinderella: Natasha Oughtred

Prince: Joseph Caley

23 November 2012 7:30 pm

24 November 2012 2:30 pm

24 November 2012 7:30 pm

25 November 2012 1:00 pm

Cinderella: Momoko Hirata

Prince: César Morales

27 November 2012 7:30 pm

28 November 2012 2:00 pm

Cinderella: Chi Cao

Prince: Maureya Lebowitz

28 November 2012 7:30 pm

Cinderella: Jenna Roberts

Prince: Matthew Lawrence

29 November 2012 7:30 pm

30 November 2012 6:30 pm

1 December 2012 2:30 pm

Cinderella: Chi Cao

Prince: Maureya Lebowitz

1 December 2012 7:30 pm

2 December 2012 1:00 pm

Cinderella: Delia Mathews

Prince: Tyrone Singleton

4 December 2012 7:30 pm

5 December 2012 2:00 pm

Cinderella: Delia Mathews

Prince: Tyrone Singleton

5 December 2012 7:30 pm

6 December 2012 7:30 pm

Cinderella: Maureya Lebowitz

Prince: Chi Cao

7 December 2012 7:30 pm

8 December 2012 2:30 pm

8 December 2012 7:30 pm

9 December 2012 1:00 pm

• 2 weeks later...

I've just picked up from twitter that Chi is injured and will not now be dancing the Prince (I'm devastated). As a result there have been some casting shuffles. Here's a link to the revised casting page:

http://www.brb.org.uk/masque/index.htm?act=WhatsOn&urn=23805&tsk=fullcast&utm_source=creatingcinderella&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=Cinderella

Best wishes to Chi for a speedy recovery.

Wednesday was the opening night.

However half of male dancers who supposed to perform The Prince have been injured or ill.

Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales performed last night.(not Natasha Oughtred & Joseph Caley)

Nao Sakuma & Iain MacKay will be performing tonight. (not Nao Sakuma & Jamie Bond)

I am wondering whether Iain MacKay will be performing tomorrow afternoon or not.

Edited by Ryo

Thanks Ryo. Although the company have updated the official casting a couple of times there are obviously still changes going on (hints from various sources on twitter). I don't think there are any guarantees about who will perform in any performance at the moment!

Best wishes to everyone who is ill or injured for a speedy recovery.

I think it's fantastic new for Alex - his fans in Birmingham get a chance to see him dance and he gets more experience in a Principal-level role (I wonder if O'Hare will take a trip up to Brum to watch?). I was just thinking last week (watching a clip of him rehearsing a PdD from it) how perfect he would be for BRB's Aladdin - I guess it's unlikely though...

I can't find the run time for Cinderella on BRB's website is it about 3 hours?

I asked a few days ago - wanted to know myself. Ans: 2 Hours and 25 mins

Looking forward to seeing Delia Mathews & Tyrone Singleton on the 28th and wanted to see Maureya Lebowitz but not sure if I can now with the changes.

I think that it's very good natured of Alex Campbell to step in and guest at such short notice.

And for the second time this year: he danced Will Mossop when they were short back in the spring. Come to think of it, it's a little worrying how many male dancers seem to have been off this year.

I wonder whether, with Robert Parker and Alex Campbell gone and Matthew Lawrence going, BRB needs to bring in some new senior male dancers. The company has a heavy performance schedule and the added complication of split tours and it's worrying that there are so many injuries so early in the season.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! There is a breadth of outstanding talent already in BRB. I gather that there is illness as well as injury, it's that timr of year! I would not have described December as early in the season - it's the end of a long Autumn tour.

The 2 roles that Alex has come back to do are ones that he has danced before so he has a head start on anyone else learning them from scratch.

But Janet, that's twice in less than six months that BRB have had to bring in Alex Campbell. The company can't go on doing that. Next time, he might not be available (or willing). With Matthew Lawrence going in the next few weeks, BRB will be short of a senior and very experienced dancer. BRB has a long tour in the Spring when people also tend to get ill. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about the company to know whether there are more junior dancers who could take on, sometimes at very short notice, the kind of roles which Alex Campbell has been brought in to dance. All I know is that it's not really feasible to go on using guests to cover illness and injury.

It is extremely rare for BRB to use guests to cover injury/illness. I think it's almost unprecedented in recent years. As I pointed out, Alex has danced both of these roles before and, in respect of Hobsons Choice, the work was only on for one week so, for most of us, it was a no-brainer and a nice treat for his fans. Cinderella is also only being performed in Birmingham, albeit for more performances.

You mentioned midscale. Followers of BRB always see that as an opportunity for the younger dancers to "get a go".

I'm not saying that BRB should recruit only at artist level but there is no need for a knee-jerk reaction to an unfortunate set of circumstances.