Jump to content

Royal Ballet, Swan Lake, 2020


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Mary said:

I can see both sides of the Benno discussion- love the performances I have seen, but agree the role has grown a bit too much and unbalanced the ballet..

 

I'd like to suggest someone choreographs a new ballet for Benno, and then Siegfried can take his rightful place in Swan Lake..while Benno bounces off to entertain us all in something with a happy ending- just what we all currently need...

🙂

 

I'd be up for that.  Perhaps he could take over as vizier from von Rothbart, marry one of Siegfried's sisters and live happily ever after? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/03/2020 at 19:18, Tango Dancer said:

I'd agree that last night was amazing.  I think they made a slight error in boosting Benno's part as Marcelino Sambe has so much vitality and character that he comes across as rather more appealing than Siegfried who is a bit of a drip (character wise not dance wise) in Act 1.  I loved Benno's dance with the young princesses both of whom were really great.   

 

I think this is just indicative of the truly galactic star quality of Sambe.... even when not the lead he inevitably just shines through & his characters become the more memorable ones! 

When I watched R&J with Sambe as Mecutio I couldn’t help but feel he seemed to unintentionally upstage Romeo in terms of charisma, dance quality & virtuosity, personality, acting quality & well, just sheer presence....

I just wanted to recast the evening with him as Romeo! (Sorry Corrales)

I did however love the casting of the recent R&J film Beyond Words as somehow this seemed to allow Sambe’s scene stealing appeal to not upstage the subtlety of the oh so believable as Romeo Bracewell!

So, back to SL.... should I get lucky & be able to pick up a last minute ticket I’d like a poll as to which cast I should aim for....

My natural first choice would be to see Nunez every time! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I think this is just indicative of the truly galactic star quality of Sambe.... even when not the lead he inevitably just shines through & his characters become the more memorable ones! 

When I watched R&J with Sambe as Mecutio I couldn’t help but feel he seemed to unintentionally upstage Romeo in terms of charisma, dance quality & virtuosity, personality, acting quality & well, just sheer presence....

I just wanted to recast the evening with him as Romeo! (Sorry Corrales)

I did however love the casting of the recent R&J film Beyond Words as somehow this seemed to allow Sambe’s scene stealing appeal to not upstage the subtlety of the oh so believable as Romeo Bracewell!

So, back to SL.... should I get lucky & be able to pick up a last minute ticket I’d like a poll as to which cast I should aim for....

My natural first choice would be to see Nunez every time! 

 

I think you're right.  Both he and Muntagirov are amazing dancers but Sambe is like Pol Roger in that you are taken over by the bubbles and colour and dynamism immediately whereas Muntagirov is more like a really good quality Amarone , quieter at first glance but really beautifully rich and complex. I think they're both amazing dancers to watch.    

 

I'd definitely recommend the Nunez / Muntagirov cast (although I've not seen any others).  She is absolutely exquisite in everything she does and he is stunning especially in the third act with the most amazing technique. You also get to see Sambe dancing with Kaneko and Magri beautifully.  I also thought Bennet Gartside is positively the most unpleasantly evil von Rothbart I've ever seen.  I don't know what the other casts are like but this one is amazing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers Tango Dancer for your seconding my views on Sambe & I loved your wine analogy 🥂🍷!!

Also for the heads up recommending the cast I’m itching to see! 🤞🏻I make it 🤞🏻🤞🏻that turns of events don’t interrupt this run....

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I’m not booked until mid May to see Swanlake I’ve managed to get a seat for this coming Sunday as I fear that by May everything will have shut down (if not then it’s a bonus!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just seen an announcement on Facebook that the ROH is closing its doors due to the current situation.   I double checked the website and it now says the ROH is closed.    I was hoping to go on Sunday as well but it is not to be.    

The thought of the ROH being closed for any length of time makes me feel far sadder than my holiday probably not happening 😕

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Akane & Federico 

Natalia & Reece

Nella & Vadim

What a privilege to have seen these pairings dance together during this run, supported by a world-beating cast, corps and off-stage crew both behind and front of house.

And, such upcoming riches to anticipate with 7 more, different pairings, all now suspended indefinitely, for the common good, for as long as it takes.

I sincerely wish for everyone who works at the ROH and equally everyone who attends too to come out of this crisis healthy and well. Look after yourselves, look out for one another 🩰🤗🙏🏻

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Josette said:

Did the Royal Opera House state a date of number of days/weeks/months for its closing?  I've looked at my sources and not seen this information. 

 

 

No - they just say 'with immediate effect'. I imagine any date would be speculative anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Josette said:

Did the Royal Opera House state a date of number of days/weeks/months for its closing?  I've looked at my sources and not seen this information. 

 

 

I didn't notice a date on the announcement.  Sadler's Wells have said till 8th June and The Lowry said reviewing at the end of March.  I can't see any of the theatres reopening till mid June at the earliest if I am honest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I’m thinking June! Could some of the Swan Lakes be performed then... just to get some full houses which I don’t think the triple will give...just an idea! 

 

I hope not - I've got a ticket for the Tombeaux triple and would not want to see SL in its place!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well not replacing that programme completely but perhaps some Swan Lakes added .  Particularly some of the debuts ... and no doubt you can see where I’m going with this.  was thinking Hayward /Corrales .. I know I’m on a losing wicket with this but that was going to

be my highlight performance of the season 😢

I haven’t bought tickets for that triple yet but want to see it too though the other earlier triple won’t be such a loss!!

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The email I received said they had cancelled all performances until 19th April (apologies if this is duplicating information posted elsewhere). I suspect it will last longer than that.

 

I am particularly sad to miss Francesa Hayward and Cesar Corrales debuting in SL, but also those of Magri and Sambe.

 

Fortunately I have Nunez and Muntagirov's filmed performance from when it was on iPlayer last Christmas, so will have to satisfy myself with that.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, standingticket said:

The email I received said they had cancelled all performances until 19th April (apologies if this is duplicating information posted elsewhere). I suspect it will last longer than that.

 

I am particularly sad to miss Francesa Hayward and Cesar Corrales debuting in SL, but also those of Magri and Sambe.

 

Fortunately I have Nunez and Muntagirov's filmed performance from when it was on iPlayer last Christmas, so will have to satisfy myself with that.

Ooh is that still available anywhere on iPlayer? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha ha! I’m still someone who uses video & dvd’s! No sky or anything!! One day will get with technology....

My 92 year old Dad is ahead of me on this!! I need to start asking him to record on his sky box any ballet things to watch when I visit 🤣

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still can’t get over how good those opening Swan Lakes were and these were at the same time as Dances/Cellist, a double bill that certainly captivated me, and straight after a compelling run of Onegins. The start of 2020 really has been fabulous with the Royal Ballet surely in a golden age.

 

I’ll be having to self isolate for 12 weeks from the weekend, diabetes not age I should add, and I’m sure memories of those performances earlier this year will be sustaining.


I’m very much hoping I might miss the next ‘curtain up’ as unless things change I won’t be able to see another live performance until mid June (last Triple Bill or Royal Ballet School Annual Performance would just about fit). But I’d take great pleasure in reading posts of performances in May/June so will look forward, albeit perhaps optimistically, to news of performances resuming.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JohnS well keep an eye on things...what if it doesn’t turn out as bad as they say you ...might be okay a bit before June ... nobody really seems to know .....but anyway to be honest inspite of the April 19 th date I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bit after that nearer May before ROH re opens. Goodness they’ve just cancelled the Eurovision Song Contest 😩...so sad 😢nothing much going on before May I don’t think! 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were lucky enough to be there on the 12th to see what we thought was a fantastic performance. We usually sit in the Grand Tier, but were in the circle this time, and although it wasn't quite as good, it did have it's advantages regarding the corps stage positions. Nunez is no spring chicken now, but I reckon she's as good as ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I still can’t get over how good those opening Swan Lakes were and these were at the same time as Dances/Cellist, a double bill that certainly captivated me, and straight after a compelling run of Onegins. The start of 2020 really has been fabulous with the Royal Ballet surely in a golden age.

 

I’ll be having to self isolate for 12 weeks from the weekend, diabetes not age I should add, and I’m sure memories of those performances earlier this year will be sustaining.


I’m very much hoping I might miss the next ‘curtain up’ as unless things change I won’t be able to see another live performance until mid June (last Triple Bill or Royal Ballet School Annual Performance would just about fit). But I’d take great pleasure in reading posts of performances in May/June so will look forward, albeit perhaps optimistically, to news of performances resuming.

 

John I  couldn't agree more about the RB's amazing performances recently.  Very sorry to hear that you are having to self-isolate, and I hope you stay well and that you are back in the ROH enjoying performances again before too long!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Similar to @Dawnstar, I have taken this rare opportunity of the past few weeks to watch different productions of the same ballet. I thought I'd share an interesting finding in the hope that someone may have more context to offer. 

 

It is known by many that in the Act 1 waltz there is originally a short solo by the Prince accompanied by a 16-bar section (repeated once) where the main melody is played by the trumpet (see this link at 4:05: https://youtu.be/3FmBkAXq4Sw?t=245 )

For an example of Siegfried's solo, see 11:50 of this POB production (Nureyev, 1984, available til 5/4) : https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/magazine/swan-lake-replay

 

As far as I have managed to check, this short solo is consistently featured with the same music at several other notable productions, including Mariinsky's (Sergeyev, 1950) and ABT's (MacKenzie, 2000).

 

Interestingly, this section has been cut out from the music score in Scarlett's production. After some more checking, I found out (with surprise) that this section was also not played in Dowell's or Ashton's productions: Siegfried didn't have a solo in Ashton's Act 1 waltz; he did in Dowell's but not to the original music shown above. Why the omission? It is very curious to me. Trumpet is often associated with royalty (an immediate example is the music signaling the arrival of Siegfried's mother) so if one were to have a solo by the prince, it would make sense to have it accompanied by the trumpet. Can it be argued that the oft-complaint lacking of Siegfried in Scarlett's Act 1 is actually foreshadowed by Siegfried's diminished role musically (waltz-wise) since as early as Ashton's time, for whatever reason?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...