Royal Ballet, Swan Lake, 2020

The email I received said they had cancelled all performances until 19th April (apologies if this is duplicating information posted elsewhere). I suspect it will last longer than that.

I am particularly sad to miss Francesa Hayward and Cesar Corrales debuting in SL, but also those of Magri and Sambe.

Fortunately I have Nunez and Muntagirov's filmed performance from when it was on iPlayer last Christmas, so will have to satisfy myself with that.

• Like 4

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, standingticket said:

The email I received said they had cancelled all performances until 19th April (apologies if this is duplicating information posted elsewhere). I suspect it will last longer than that.

I am particularly sad to miss Francesa Hayward and Cesar Corrales debuting in SL, but also those of Magri and Sambe.

Fortunately I have Nunez and Muntagirov's filmed performance from when it was on iPlayer last Christmas, so will have to satisfy myself with that.

Ooh is that still available anywhere on iPlayer? 

Ha ha! I’m still someone who uses video & dvd’s! No sky or anything!! One day will get with technology....

My 92 year old Dad is ahead of me on this!! I need to start asking him to record on his sky box any ballet things to watch when I visit 🤣

• Like 5

I still can’t get over how good those opening Swan Lakes were and these were at the same time as Dances/Cellist, a double bill that certainly captivated me, and straight after a compelling run of Onegins. The start of 2020 really has been fabulous with the Royal Ballet surely in a golden age.

I’ll be having to self isolate for 12 weeks from the weekend, diabetes not age I should add, and I’m sure memories of those performances earlier this year will be sustaining.

I’m very much hoping I might miss the next ‘curtain up’ as unless things change I won’t be able to see another live performance until mid June (last Triple Bill or Royal Ballet School Annual Performance would just about fit). But I’d take great pleasure in reading posts of performances in May/June so will look forward, albeit perhaps optimistically, to news of performances resuming.

• Like 4

JohnS well keep an eye on things...what if it doesn’t turn out as bad as they say you ...might be okay a bit before June ... nobody really seems to know .....but anyway to be honest inspite of the April 19 th date I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bit after that nearer May before ROH re opens. Goodness they’ve just cancelled the Eurovision Song Contest 😩...so sad 😢nothing much going on before May I don’t think! 

We were lucky enough to be there on the 12th to see what we thought was a fantastic performance. We usually sit in the Grand Tier, but were in the circle this time, and although it wasn't quite as good, it did have it's advantages regarding the corps stage positions. Nunez is no spring chicken now, but I reckon she's as good as ever.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I still can’t get over how good those opening Swan Lakes were and these were at the same time as Dances/Cellist, a double bill that certainly captivated me, and straight after a compelling run of Onegins. The start of 2020 really has been fabulous with the Royal Ballet surely in a golden age.

I’ll be having to self isolate for 12 weeks from the weekend, diabetes not age I should add, and I’m sure memories of those performances earlier this year will be sustaining.

I’m very much hoping I might miss the next ‘curtain up’ as unless things change I won’t be able to see another live performance until mid June (last Triple Bill or Royal Ballet School Annual Performance would just about fit). But I’d take great pleasure in reading posts of performances in May/June so will look forward, albeit perhaps optimistically, to news of performances resuming.

John I  couldn't agree more about the RB's amazing performances recently.  Very sorry to hear that you are having to self-isolate, and I hope you stay well and that you are back in the ROH enjoying performances again before too long!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Similar to @Dawnstar, I have taken this rare opportunity of the past few weeks to watch different productions of the same ballet. I thought I'd share an interesting finding in the hope that someone may have more context to offer. 

It is known by many that in the Act 1 waltz there is originally a short solo by the Prince accompanied by a 16-bar section (repeated once) where the main melody is played by the trumpet (see this link at 4:05: https://youtu.be/3FmBkAXq4Sw?t=245 )

For an example of Siegfried's solo, see 11:50 of this POB production (Nureyev, 1984, available til 5/4) : https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/magazine/swan-lake-replay

As far as I have managed to check, this short solo is consistently featured with the same music at several other notable productions, including Mariinsky's (Sergeyev, 1950) and ABT's (MacKenzie, 2000).

Interestingly, this section has been cut out from the music score in Scarlett's production. After some more checking, I found out (with surprise) that this section was also not played in Dowell's or Ashton's productions: Siegfried didn't have a solo in Ashton's Act 1 waltz; he did in Dowell's but not to the original music shown above. Why the omission? It is very curious to me. Trumpet is often associated with royalty (an immediate example is the music signaling the arrival of Siegfried's mother) so if one were to have a solo by the prince, it would make sense to have it accompanied by the trumpet. Can it be argued that the oft-complaint lacking of Siegfried in Scarlett's Act 1 is actually foreshadowed by Siegfried's diminished role musically (waltz-wise) since as early as Ashton's time, for whatever reason?