Royal Ballet, Swan Lake, 2020

Guest oncnp

A very nice moment at the curtain calls last night...

Nunez & Muntagirov went either end of the stage and acknowledged the company. Classy move from two (I suspect, not having met either ) classy people. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

A very nice moment at the curtain calls last night...

Nunez & Muntagirov went either end of the stage and acknowledged the company. Classy move from two (I suspect, not having met either ) classy people. 

Yes I think Nunez does this  quite a lot!

Another superb Swan Lake from the RB last night. 🙂

Edited by Richard LH

I am pleased that we are back on track with Swan Lake, but as there have been many comments on Covid-19 on this thread I am copying over a post from the theatre closures thread:

Hi all.  In these extraordinary times, we mods understand that everyone is worried about the current world health pandemic.  As is always the case with social media, any big news gives rise to rumour, speculation and mis-information.  For this reason, we are asking that, going forward, any discussion of the Covid-19 virus be limited to its effect on cultural closures.  Please don't discuss the medical or political aspects of this problem.  We have already had a couple of posts reported, and in order to stem anything further from snowballing we are curtailing inappropriate comments, even if they are made in good faith and with helpful intent.  We don't want to risk adding to anyone's worry or distress, or disseminating mis-information.

We wish you all well;  take good care of yourselves.  In the meantime, please keep sharing your thoughts about what gives us joy in this increasingly strange world:  ballet and dance.  Thank you for your understanding.

With best wishes,

Sim

Chair, BalletcoForum Committee 

• Like 18

Well, Swan Lake last night - wow.

I had forgotten just how dazzling the sets are when you see it live, especially that Act 3 set, which provoked oohs and ahs from the audience and its own ripple of applause. All a fit setting for some downright wonderful dancing from the whole cast, but particularly, of course, from Nunez and Muntagirov. Her Odile was incredible last night - evil, seductive, tantalising, drawing Siegfried in then rejecting him each time at exactly the right moment. Muntagirov portrayed Siegfried perfectly as the gauche, inexperienced young man overwhelmed by what he thinks is love when seduced by Odile.

To say nothing of their dazzling technique. Nunez pulled off at least 5 turns on one of her fouettés - I lost count! - and then couldn’t resist breaking into a grin of accomplishment as people began to applaud! I love that she is so human onstage. And of course, Muntagirov’s sequence of amazing double double tours, landed bang on the nail, and those soaring leaps that seem to hang in the air.... no wonder there was a standing ovation, it was richly deserved.

Excellent support from Sambe as Benno (although I still think Benno has far too much to do in this version), and Magri and Kaneko as the princesses - beautiful dancing from them all.

The Corps were on fine form too and lovely to see Annette Buvoli as a big swan. I’ve been impressed by her lately and I hope we see a lot more of her in solo roles. Also loved Pajdak and Kay in the Czardas.

The orchestra would have been good except for that execrable brass section which always grates on me, and some (to my inexperienced eye) quite sloppy conducting occasionally from Kessels - tempi a bit all over the place, and was it my imagination, or did he start them off too soon for Kaneko’s Act 1 solo? She was still preparing when the music began and she had to move smartly to catch up - which she did very efficiently.

And I sure do dislike that ending. Although Muntagirov made it more moving for me than I had previously found it.

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

And I sure do dislike that ending. Although Muntagirov made it more moving for me than I had previously found it.

I agree - very moving: but only after he had scared everyone by rolling very close to the edge of the stage.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

I agree - very moving: but only after he had scared everyone by rolling very close to the edge of the stage.

Oh dear! (So it nearly turned into a double suicide ending after all!!). :lol:

• Like 9

I'd agree that last night was amazing.  I think they made a slight error in boosting Benno's part as Marcelino Sambe has so much vitality and character that he comes across as rather more appealing than Siegfried who is a bit of a drip (character wise not dance wise) in Act 1.  I loved Benno's dance with the young princesses both of whom were really great. 

Marianela was amazing in Act 2, beautiful and sorrowful and I loved the corps and the cygnets.  I think I liked Act 3 the most and loved the Spanish dance.  I just loved the pyrotechnics of the jumps and spins that Siegfried did.  How Vadim seems to defy gravity and hang in the air, I don't know but he's exquisite to watch, as indeed is Odile.  It was just breathtaking. 

I would agree with @Balletfanp that I really don't care for the ending.  It just doesn't do anything for me, although they did it very well.

Altogether an amazing evening 🙂  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I think they made a slight error in boosting Benno's part

You're telling me! I think that all the Bennos are good but it's all too much. The Prince could dance, forlornly, with the corps in Act 2 and let Benno do the pas de trois. Also, too much Benno in Act 3.

No disrespect to any of the dancers I have seen in the role, of course. It's actually nice for them to have such a prominent, featured role, especially when they are in line for Siegfried. But it unbalances the show.

• Like 7

I’m afraid I don’t agree. 

The music and traditional choreography requires a pas de trois.

In Dowell’s SL, it didn’t involve Siegfried - it was just some random bloke and two random girls.

The introduction by Scarlett of the two princesses (replacing the two random girls) need someone specific to dance with. Benno fits the bill, as I believe he does in other choreographic versions.

It would never be Siegfried who dances with his sisters in the PDT, he’s got bigger fish to fry, so there we are.

I can’t see what the perceived problem is or why Benno shouldn’t dance with the princesses. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RobR said:

The music and traditional choreography requires a pas de trois.

In Dowell’s SL, it didn’t involve Siegfried - it was just some random bloke and two random girls.

The introduction by Scarlett of the two princesses (replacing the two random girls) need someone specific to dance with. Benno fits the bill, as I believe he does in other choreographic versions.

It would never be Siegfried who dances with his sisters in the PDT, he’s got bigger fish to fry, so there we are.

I can’t see what the perceived problem is or why Benno shouldn’t dance with the princesses. 

Benno dances the pas de trots with 2 courtesans he has brought to try and cheer up Siegfried in the Wright/Samsova production for BRB.  The Prince also joins in a little at the end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I think that you've misunderstood me. Of course, it makes sense for Benno to do the pas de trois - but there is some more random dancing he performs in front of the corps in Act 1 (sorry I said Act 2 earlier) which could be done by the Prince. Dowell's Prince danced even less in Act 1 and spent his time sitting on  a bench. Scarlett promised us that his production would be "the Princs'e story" and then made it Benno's. He even infiltrates the Act 2 lake scene!

[I also meant  to say that is was nice for dancers to be cast as Benno when they aren't  in line for Siegfried.]

• Like 4

10 hours ago, capybara said:

Dowell's Prince danced even less in Act 1 and spent his time sitting on  a bench. Scarlett promised us that his production would be "the Princs'e story" and then made it Benno's. He even infiltrates the Act 2 lake scene!

at least we no longer have the drunken antics by the army officers dangerously armed with carelessly misdirected crossbows!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, alison said:

Actually, I felt with the Bonelli/Hay (and Takada, of course) cast the balance felt about right.  Hay's Benno was less obtrusive than some I saw last time around.

Hay and Acri both seem to me to be pitch perfect with their Bennos. Lovely dancing from both of them too.

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

at least we no longer have the drunken antics by the army officers dangerously armed with carelessly misdirected crossbows!

True (hahaha!) but they were quickly gone. Benno just won't go away.

• Like 2

I can see both sides of the Benno discussion- love the performances I have seen, but agree the role has grown a bit too much and unbalanced the ballet..

I'd like to suggest someone choreographs a new ballet for Benno, and then Siegfried can take his rightful place in Swan Lake..while Benno bounces off to entertain us all in something with a happy ending- just what we all currently need...

🙂

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mary said:

I can see both sides of the Benno discussion- love the performances I have seen, but agree the role has grown a bit too much and unbalanced the ballet..

I'd like to suggest someone choreographs a new ballet for Benno, and then Siegfried can take his rightful place in Swan Lake..while Benno bounces off to entertain us all in something with a happy ending- just what we all currently need...

🙂

I'd be up for that.  Perhaps he could take over as vizier from von Rothbart, marry one of Siegfried's sisters and live happily ever after? 

• Like 3

On 13/03/2020 at 19:18, Tango Dancer said:

I'd agree that last night was amazing.  I think they made a slight error in boosting Benno's part as Marcelino Sambe has so much vitality and character that he comes across as rather more appealing than Siegfried who is a bit of a drip (character wise not dance wise) in Act 1.  I loved Benno's dance with the young princesses both of whom were really great.   

I think this is just indicative of the truly galactic star quality of Sambe.... even when not the lead he inevitably just shines through & his characters become the more memorable ones! 

When I watched R&J with Sambe as Mecutio I couldn’t help but feel he seemed to unintentionally upstage Romeo in terms of charisma, dance quality & virtuosity, personality, acting quality & well, just sheer presence....

I just wanted to recast the evening with him as Romeo! (Sorry Corrales)

I did however love the casting of the recent R&J film Beyond Words as somehow this seemed to allow Sambe’s scene stealing appeal to not upstage the subtlety of the oh so believable as Romeo Bracewell!

So, back to SL.... should I get lucky & be able to pick up a last minute ticket I’d like a poll as to which cast I should aim for....

My natural first choice would be to see Nunez every time! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I think this is just indicative of the truly galactic star quality of Sambe.... even when not the lead he inevitably just shines through & his characters become the more memorable ones! 

When I watched R&J with Sambe as Mecutio I couldn’t help but feel he seemed to unintentionally upstage Romeo in terms of charisma, dance quality & virtuosity, personality, acting quality & well, just sheer presence....

I just wanted to recast the evening with him as Romeo! (Sorry Corrales)

I did however love the casting of the recent R&J film Beyond Words as somehow this seemed to allow Sambe’s scene stealing appeal to not upstage the subtlety of the oh so believable as Romeo Bracewell!

So, back to SL.... should I get lucky & be able to pick up a last minute ticket I’d like a poll as to which cast I should aim for....

My natural first choice would be to see Nunez every time! 

I think you're right.  Both he and Muntagirov are amazing dancers but Sambe is like Pol Roger in that you are taken over by the bubbles and colour and dynamism immediately whereas Muntagirov is more like a really good quality Amarone , quieter at first glance but really beautifully rich and complex. I think they're both amazing dancers to watch.    

I'd definitely recommend the Nunez / Muntagirov cast (although I've not seen any others).  She is absolutely exquisite in everything she does and he is stunning especially in the third act with the most amazing technique. You also get to see Sambe dancing with Kaneko and Magri beautifully.  I also thought Bennet Gartside is positively the most unpleasantly evil von Rothbart I've ever seen.  I don't know what the other casts are like but this one is amazing. 

• Like 2

Cheers Tango Dancer for your seconding my views on Sambe & I loved your wine analogy 🥂🍷!!

Also for the heads up recommending the cast I’m itching to see! 🤞🏻I make it 🤞🏻🤞🏻that turns of events don’t interrupt this run....

• Like 2

As I’m not booked until mid May to see Swanlake I’ve managed to get a seat for this coming Sunday as I fear that by May everything will have shut down (if not then it’s a bonus!)

I've just seen an announcement on Facebook that the ROH is closing its doors due to the current situation.   I double checked the website and it now says the ROH is closed.    I was hoping to go on Sunday as well but it is not to be.    

The thought of the ROH being closed for any length of time makes me feel far sadder than my holiday probably not happening 😕

• Like 5

Akane & Federico 

Natalia & Reece

Nella & Vadim

What a privilege to have seen these pairings dance together during this run, supported by a world-beating cast, corps and off-stage crew both behind and front of house.

And, such upcoming riches to anticipate with 7 more, different pairings, all now suspended indefinitely, for the common good, for as long as it takes.

I sincerely wish for everyone who works at the ROH and equally everyone who attends too to come out of this crisis healthy and well. Look after yourselves, look out for one another 🩰🤗🙏🏻

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, Josette said:

Did the Royal Opera House state a date of number of days/weeks/months for its closing?  I've looked at my sources and not seen this information. 

No - they just say 'with immediate effect'. I imagine any date would be speculative anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Josette said:

Did the Royal Opera House state a date of number of days/weeks/months for its closing?  I've looked at my sources and not seen this information. 

I didn't notice a date on the announcement.  Sadler's Wells have said till 8th June and The Lowry said reviewing at the end of March.  I can't see any of the theatres reopening till mid June at the earliest if I am honest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I’m thinking June! Could some of the Swan Lakes be performed then... just to get some full houses which I don’t think the triple will give...just an idea! 

I hope not - I've got a ticket for the Tombeaux triple and would not want to see SL in its place!

• Like 1

Well not replacing that programme completely but perhaps some Swan Lakes added .  Particularly some of the debuts ... and no doubt you can see where I’m going with this.  was thinking Hayward /Corrales .. I know I’m on a losing wicket with this but that was going to

be my highlight performance of the season 😢

I haven’t bought tickets for that triple yet but want to see it too though the other earlier triple won’t be such a loss!!

• Like 10