David Hallberg new AD of Australian Ballet

Australian Ballet just announced this 10 minutes ago on their facebook feed

BREAKING NEWS: David Hallberg will be the next artistic director of The Australian Ballet! This international dance star is currently a principal of American Ballet Theatre and Bolshoi Ballet, a principal guest at The Royal Ballet, and Resident Guest Artist of our company. We’re delighted that he’ll be bringing his unique vision, experience and leadership to this role. David has a long relationship with and admiration for our company, and we’re looking forward to welcoming him in 2021.

and on Hallberg's fb feed

Announced today in Melbourne, I am thrilled to share that I will become the next Artistic Director of The Australian Ballet The Australian Ballet starting January 2021.

I am excited at the opportunity to finally realize an artistic vision and it feels like the right place and the right time to get to work doing so. I have had such amazing opportunities throughout my career and I am so ready to funnel that into a company I so love and respect. I have had a long 10 year history with the company, first as a Guest Artist, then using the expertise of the world renowned Medical Team (which was all explained in the book!) and finally as Resident Guest Artist. This appointment makes so much sense in many ways.

It has been a long and eventful (to say the least) career and I have always known that the time will come where I take all of my absorbed experience and become an Artistic Director. This is the time. I can’t wait to realize my ambitious vision for the future of this essential art form with an institution that I so deeply love and respect.

See you in Australia!

• Like 4

Congratulations to Mr. Hallberg.  Something tells me he may well be a very fine AD.  Certainly his knowledge of balletic repertory as much as its history is considerable.  He brings a life long passion with him to the Australian table.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Congrats to him!!!

I had heard his name amongst the possibilities but thought they would choose.... 

I trust however that the Board went for the best candidate for the job and look forward to exciting times ahead.

Also grateful for the work and passion of David McAllister,  the outgoing AD.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Now I’m really wishing I had a ticket for his Insight talk at the ROH 

I wonder if the insight will be live streamed? The recent ones have been but I don't think one of the 'one on one' insights have been streamed yet? I'm not sure why they wouldn't if others are so hopefully it will be. 

Congratulations to Hallberg, I wonder if this means we'll see less of him in the ROH (and other venues) though? Either way a great step for him and wish him every success. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JNC said:

... Congratulations to Hallberg, I wonder if this means we'll see less of him in the ROH (and other venues) though? 

Sadly, David’s retirement from dancing has been already announced.

"Hallberg’s last performances as a dancer will be in 2021, when he will fulfil previous commitments, culminating in a farewell gala with American Ballet Theatre."

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/03/david-hallberg-becomes-new-head-of-australian-ballet-farewell-gala-in-2021/

He's 37. I'm excited because he has been informally mentoring and coaching a number of the men in the company for several years now and the results are pretty good. He has the worldwide contacts an AD down here needs.

Hopefully the company will be able to acquire some rep from choreographers such as Crystal Pite, and hopefully also he will continue to expand Alice Topp's opportunities, and maybe even follow Patricia Barker (RNZB AD) and Tamara Rojo's leads by programming all-female-created works. He couldn't really do less than the last 20 years in that regard.

I'm also hoping the company will revisit some of the Béjart rep it used to do under the directorship of Maina Gielgud. To be brutally honest, if we the audience could have, say, a ten-year break from the Works Of Graeme Murphy, I think it would be of benefit to both us and the dancers.

@jmb what do you reckon?

• Like 1

The feeling from some of my Oz ballet friends is that they are tentatively pleased but were hoping  the Company would have an AD with more experience rather than a newby to the job but don’t mind Hallberg if it is a newby so to speak. I think some were hoping that the current AD of the Queensland Ballet might go got it. 
They think the Company could generally do with a bit of a push at the moment ( less politely expressed by a couple of friends 🙄

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

The feeling from some of my Oz ballet friends is that they are tentatively pleased but were hoping  the Company would have an AD with more experience rather than a newby to the job but don’t mind Hallberg if it is a newby so to speak. I think some were hoping that the current AD of the Queensland Ballet might go got it. 
They think the Company could generally do with a bit of a push at the moment ( less politely expressed by a couple of friends 🙄

I think that Sophoife makes a very good point about Hallberg's worldwide contacts. Those will surely be of benefit, as will the fact that he has spent time in Australia and feels comfortable there.

I do, however, have my suspicions that he is among the younger directors eyeing bigger prizes eventually. But, in a way, that's fine if they do a good job where they are (or will be) initially.

Edited by capybara

Well when you take Tamara Rojo she was a "newby" in the AD job at ENB and therefore a bit of an unknown quantity at the time but has ended up doing an amazing job there one way and the other.

• Like 5

On 08/03/2020 at 01:13, LinMM said:

I doubt Li Cunxin applied for the position.

There is disappointment and frustration from many in the Australian ballet community that Mr Hallberg was chosen ahead of a prominent female ex principal ballet dancer with more management experience. 

7 minutes ago, Lucinda said:

I doubt Li Cunxin applied for the position.

There is disappointment and frustration from many in the Australian ballet community that Mr Hallberg was chosen ahead of a prominent female ex principal ballet dancer with more management experience. 

I also understood that Li Cunxin was not interested.  He has done great things with Queensland Ballet using his ballet , financial and management expertise. 

27 minutes ago, Lucinda said:

It’s about worldwide name recognition, contacts and reputation, I guess.

1 hour ago, alison said:

That certainly seems to be the way things are going, if the UK is anything to go by.

Yes!

I was firstly a bit disappointed that an Australian woman was not selected.  I can think of three worthy possibilities without  much effort.  However, one of those ( I was recently told) is very happy with her current success & impact  (through her students), her work/life balance and being her own boss.   So maybe that is another way to look at it.  

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 3