sacrifice family & home are we asking too much? By Danielle Brown

Ellie

I clicked the See More for the article.

This is so true!  Thanks for posting Ellie. I also see extremely talented young dancers quietly returning home. 

'A child without their support network at hand is vulnerable'

'Little problems can turn into emotionally stressful burdens and little injuries can turn into significant issues, which require rest and no class'

These experiences have been talked about on this forum as well -  by UK parents with children boarding at vocational schools or training overseas.

Edited by DD Driver

All too true I'm afraid, speaking from my dd's personal experience.

In my jaded view, too many vocationals schools see it as their mission to seek out and destroy the vulnerable, rather than to support them through a difficult period in their training. They might pay lip-service to pastoral support and everything else, but at the end of the day, they couldn't care less.

• Like 5

A very salient read for us parents....

Am deeply disturbed by the mention (I appreciate not necessarily substantiated but perhaps no smoke without fire?) ‘some of early leavers being asked to sign Non Disclosure Agreements’

This is frankly horrifying when referring to educational establishments for children & young adults & surely needs urgent scrutiny....especially if indeed this is happening within organisations highly funded from the public purse (ie. us taxpayers) Irresoective of wether individuals are UK residents or overseas students, or funded or full fee payers. It is tantamount to a hide all for who knows what sort of errors or abuse?

Whistle blowers need to come forward! 

• Like 5

Totally agree with Taxi4ballet. It’s horrendous to see young children being emotionally damaged, but other than removing your child there is nothing you can do. 
There have been so many discussions regarding this topic on the forum, but they can become very heated as emotions run very high. 

• Like 2

There are members who are legal experts and could comment further but a non disclosure document is usually not signed for sensational reasons! They are pretty standard in the workplace. You are under no obligation to sign but usually you get something in return e.g. a redundancy payment and the company don’t want others to know details of how much you’ve been given etc. So it’s very plausible that the schools don’t want others to know that you haven’t been asked to pay back your scholarship money because then everyone would want the same. Or they just don’t want people selling potentially sensationalised stories to the media. There are always 2 sides to a story but one side generally can’t tell theirs because they are bound by confidentiality/ professionalism. If police/ safeguarding etc are involved then yes obviously accusations should be taken seriously

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tulip said:

Totally agree with Taxi4ballet. It’s horrendous to see young children being emotionally damaged, but other than removing your child there is nothing you can do. 
There have been so many discussions regarding this topic on the forum, but they can become very heated as emotions run very high. 

Understandably so and we do sympathise.  

Unfortunately, some have also had to be closed in accordance with the Forum’s legal obligations, so please could everyone keep that (and our Forum rules on the discussion of vocational schools) in mind. 

Many thanks!

• Like 5

Yes, I can see how this could be a minefield....& how maybe ‘deals’ could be struck... but surely that should never be necessary if businesses felt beyond recourse??? T’s & C’s are usually pretty standard & well known about in advance.....

And btw, removing kids is doable & must surely be seriously considered if in best short term & long term interests of a child & family? 

Edited by Peanut68
Typi
  • Like 2