La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Japanese musician was being interviewed on Radio 3 earlier: she said that many performances in Japan are being streamed online, without an audience.  How viable that would be here, I don't know.

Romeo and Juliet Performances Cancelled

March 13, 2020 … Barry Hughson, Executive Director of The National Ballet of Canada, today announced that due to the unprecedented pandemic of Coronavirus (COVID-19), all performances of Romeo and Juliet as well as In Studio classes and events are cancelled effective immediately.

The above is for Toronto. All performances are also cancelled at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

The R&J run was supposed to go for another week, followed by a tour to Ottawa.

1 hour ago, alison said:

A Japanese musician was being interviewed on Radio 3 earlier: she said that many performances in Japan are being streamed online, without an audience.  How viable that would be here, I don't know.

I saw this from the Berlin Philharmonic earlier but I’m not sure how to copy the link:

“The Philharmonie Berlin will be closed until 19 April – as a measure to counteract the spread of the Corona virus. However, the Berliner Philharmoniker and Sir Simon Rattle have decided to give their planned concert with Berio’s Sinfonia and Bartók’s Concerto for Orchestra anyway: without an audience, exclusively in the Digital Concert Hall. A first broadcast on 12 March will be followed by repeats on 13 and 14 March. Access is free.”

A number of other recorded concerts are also available for free whilst the hall is closed.

• Like 1

Zurich Opera House has cancelled all shows until 30 April.  I was due to see Nutcracker next week but I will no rearrange my trip.  Oddly they are only crediting funds to client theatre accounts though not issuing proper refunds unless you specifically request buy completing a form!!! I am not very happy about that, albeit I only bought cheap tickets anyway but if they cancel they should refund.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeannette said:

And in Sarasota, FL, Ashton’s R&J apparently will go on next weekend (25 March)! The venue - Van Wezel Center - hasn’t issued any update of any sort...the ballet troupe depends on the venue, which depends on mandate by the local & state governments.

Sarasota Ballet has just announced the cancellation of performances of Ashton’s R&J.

www.sarasotaballet.org

6 hours ago, alison said:

A production of Vagner' s Gotterdammerung was cancelled (a series of Ring Cycle) at Biwako Hall, which was a major new production. They decided to stream live the 2 performances without audience, and 12 thousand spectators watched it. On the same day, the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra streamed their concert and this time 100 thousand spectators watched it. Japanese companies have not streamed live performances so it was a groundbreaking  event but of course it is a huge loss financially. The Biwako Gotterdammerung was recorded and a DVD is expected to be released.  Some more concerts will be streamed without audience but not any ballet/dance companies yet.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

I saw this from the Berlin Philharmonic earlier but I’m not sure how to copy the link:

“The Philharmonie Berlin will be closed until 19 April – as a measure to counteract the spread of the Corona virus. However, the Berliner Philharmoniker and Sir Simon Rattle have decided to give their planned concert with Berio’s Sinfonia and Bartók’s Concerto for Orchestra anyway: without an audience, exclusively in the Digital Concert Hall. A first broadcast on 12 March will be followed by repeats on 13 and 14 March. Access is free.”

A number of other recorded concerts are also available for free whilst the hall is closed.

Link here https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/52535. I haven't checked what happens when the free access ends e.g., whether it just ends or switches to payable access unless the customers gives advance notice, etc.

Both the Bavarian State Opera and Stuttgart Opera have stepped up on (live) streaming of operas, I am putting the links under "Opera & Music".

There will also be a live streaming by the Bavarian State Ballet of Swan Lake on 21 March, link under "News from Germany, Austria and Switzerland".

• Like 2

Guest oncnp

'Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere......

Joberg Ballet has announced on IG that Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov have canceled their Don Q in Johannesburg next weekend.  

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

'Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere......

Joberg Ballet has announced on IG that Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov have canceled their Don Q in Johannesburg next weekend.  

No doubt because of the coronavirus issues here. What a shame for J'oburg and the two dancers concerned.

Probably a sign of the times - I attended a Chamber music  concert this morning at my local theatre. it was billed as sold out but was actually about half full. The concert, one of a very popular and usually well attended series does attract an older audience, so it seems that a large number of my vulnerable age group is already self isolating.

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

Meanwhile, the good old London tube trains are operating, and packed, if my journey yesterday is anything to go by.  

And only one tube driver has so far tested positive. 

6 hours ago, capybara said:

No doubt because of the coronavirus issues here. What a shame for J'oburg and the two dancers concerned.

Although actually I heard on the news today that South Africa had declared a state of emergency (or at least a similar phrase), so it may equally be down to the issues in South Africa.  Or both.

12 hours ago, Darlex said:

And only one tube driver has so far tested positive. 

It is not the tube driver who is the problem!  Being pressed into a full carriage where you stand cheek by jowl with your fellow passengers perhaps is not the best place to be at the moment, especially if you consider the sheer numbers of people who travel at all hours of the day and night on the underground.

• Like 7

Since this is still the thread for news about COVID-19-related cancellations outside the Uk...

The main opera/ballet theatres in Russia have finally closed, the last one being the Mariinsky in StP, cancelling the remainder of its international ballet festival after tonight’s Young Choreographers program. Moscow’s Bolshoi closed a day earlier. 

• Like 1

Sarasota Ballet and San Francisco Ballet have cancelled the entire remainder of their seasons. Sarasota announced as follows:

"While this represents a potential financial loss to the Company of close to $800,000, we are committed to our dancers, and will continue to pay them through to the end of the Season.""

• Like 7

8 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Without wishing to pry, Katherine, how is all this affecting you?

thanks for your concern, Anne. It's pretty much wiped out my business for this year. I had four group trips scheduled between now and the end of June; two of them are now off and I'm not at all optimistic about the other two. I can't usually organize fall trips because I have to wait till all the companies announce what they're doing to identify the "best ballet for your buck" trips, and by the time that happens (Stuttgart, for instance, doesn't announce what they're doing till June typcially), people have already made their travel plans for the fall. Maybe not this year though.

For now I am hunkered down with Minkus (my cat) at home in Toronto and not going anywhere!

Stay well, everyone!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, toursenlair said:

thanks for your concern, Anne. It's pretty much wiped out my business for this year. I had four group trips scheduled between now and the end of June; two of them are now off and I'm not at all optimistic about the other two. I can't usually organize fall trips because I have to wait till all the companies announce what they're doing to identify the "best ballet for your buck" trips, and by the time that happens (Stuttgart, for instance, doesn't announce what they're doing till June typcially), people have already made their travel plans for the fall. Maybe not this year though.

For now I am hunkered down with Minkus (my cat) at home in Toronto and not going anywhere!

Stay well, everyone!

Oh dear, I feared as much.  So sorry to hear it, but I bet Minkus will think all his birthdays have come at once

• 3 weeks later...

Not UK, but Boston and Houston Ballets have now cancelled the remainder of their 19/20 seasons and ABT has moved its 80th Anniversary Spring Gala to October.  I wonder if the ROH (Royal Opera House) is intending to cancel any more performances after 19th April.  Has there been a notification that I may just have missed?  My lockdown project I fear has been taking up a lot of time.  

• alison changed the title to La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus
  • 2 weeks later...

The Deutsche Oper am Rhein at Düsseldorf/Northrhine-Westphalia has cancelled until May 31 only, still hoping to do the rest of the season. We experience the blessings of the federal system in Germany, every state has its own rules... It's hard for Martin Schläpfer and his Ballet on the Rhine, as they may not have a goodbye performance when he moves to Vienna, where Manuel Legris and his dancers are already certain they will not have their big goodbye gala, the Vienna State Opera has finished the season already.