La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus

17 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Well, Brexit  may be to thank for the UK not included in the new travel ban between the US and Europe (as of midnight Friday).

Or possibly the fact that we are an island and perceived as having less of a problem with open borders?  Who knows?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Or possibly the fact that we are an island and perceived as having less of a problem with open borders?  Who knows?

The US is banning flights from the Schengen countries because of their open borders.  The UK and Ireland are therefore exempt from the travel ban.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps. In the meantime, performances continue at the Kennedy Center here, although the Washington DC local gvt is now calling for all gatherings of 1,000+ persons be cancelled (maybe affecting NYCB tour & Wash Ballet’s new Swan Lake soon). Also, I’ve emailed Sarasota Ballet about the status of  the  revival of Ashton’s R&J in a couple of weeks time, so as to possibly recoup some travel costs. We’re all in the same boat.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Sim said:

The US is banning flights from the Schengen countries because of their open borders.  The UK and Ireland are therefore exempt from the travel ban.

Isn't Ireland locking down right now?

Edited by annamicro

I think the reason they are waiting here is to time it with this peak numbers thingy ....I think epidemiologists are advising the Gov about this it’s way beyond me to get to grips with it ...I think they are also trying to learn about the spread pattern of the disease for as long as poss. 
Id be very happy for them to close theatres tomorrow as long as open again by 8th April!! 
From an entirely personal perspective of course but I bet they delay another week and then close them in the Easter Holidays so bang goes the 8th 😩 

Meanwhile I will continue to travel up to London once a week for my course until they close the colleges...even though the Brighton line stops at Gatwick 😳 

I felt very virtuous yesterday wiping down the two pianos I used with anti bacterial wipes pretty thoroughly 😇 

Then sat in the cafe with a tea with my head resting on my hand before I realised I’d been touching my face lol 

Then I bumped into a dancing friend quite unexpectedly who I hadn’t seen since November and we automatically hugged each other 🙄

No wonder us oldies are getting hit with this disease just can’t remember all the instructions all at the same time! 
Im not meaning to be flippant just trying to cheer myself up

• Like 8

In Germany, Dresden Semperoper has closed until April 19th. They intended to stay open with a reduced audience, but no.

The only big opera/ballet house still open is Hamburg, all others are closed. I guess they will be following soon.

On 11/03/2020 at 12:58, Richard LH said:

Yes, this was clearly the case with some people who were wearing masks at the ROH last night. Constant fiddling and re-adjustment.

From BBC:

Speaking to BBC News, deputy chief medical officer for England Dr Jenny Harries said the introduction of social distancing measures should come at "exactly the right time".

She also warned that members of the public wearing face masks could be putting themselves at more risk of contracting the virus - if they touch it with unwashed hands or put it on a surface they have not cleaned.

"You can actually trap the virus in the mask and start breathing it in," she said.

Well, just as I wrote the post, Hamburg called off performances off until April 30th.

Also the high-profile Salzburg Easter Festival with Netrebko, Thielemann etc. has just been called off.

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I bumped into a dancing friend quite unexpectedly who I hadn’t seen since November and we automatically hugged each other 🙄

No wonder us oldies are getting hit with this disease just can’t remember all the instructions all at the same time! 

NHS 111 says :

Close contact with a confirmed case means:

- living in the same house

- face-to-face contact, for example, talking for more than a few minutes

- being coughed on

- being within 2 metres of the person for more than 15 minutes

- contact with their body fluids

So perhaps try a quick hug, whilst holding breath, and then immediately back off 2 metres !  And definitely avoid the last  scenario.....

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Angela said:

In Germany, Dresden Semperoper has closed until April 19th. They intended to stay open with a reduced audience, but no.

The only big opera/ballet house still open is Hamburg, all others are closed. I guess they will be following soon.

It's kind of ironic that I was supposed to be going to a performance there next week of a contemporary mixed program, and judging by the seating plan, the "reduced audience" had taken care of itself. By my guess not more than 300 tickets had been sold!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I’ve just seen that Ballet Studio Live at the Royal Opera House next week is cancelled. 

where did you see that, out of interest?

I went to ROH page to the misnamed 'news' page, there isn't anything on there as yet. I say misnamed, as it very rarely has any news, but just has 'what was your reaction to...' type articles

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

where did you see that, out of interest?

I went to ROH page to the misnamed 'news' page, there isn't anything on there as yet. I say misnamed, as it very rarely has any news, but just has 'what was your reaction to...' type articles

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/ballet-studio-live-dates?start-date=17-03-20&end-date=17-03-20

You can also see it labelled "This event is cancelled" on the calendar. Apparently the one on the 18th has also been cancelled.

I've just phoned the box office and was told that those who've booked online with a credit/debit card will receive a refund automatically.

Edited by KyleCheng
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, KyleCheng said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/ballet-studio-live-dates?start-date=17-03-20&end-date=17-03-20

You can also see it labelled "This event is cancelled" on the calendar. Apparently the one on the 18th has also been cancelled.

I've just phoned the box office and was told that those who've booked online with a credit/debit card will receive a refund automatically.

Thanks for the info. The event pages had just wiped it off completely, rather than informing you of the cancellation, when I looked earlier. They have now updated them, which is good (I must have looked as they were doing it)

Just now, zxDaveM said:

Thanks for the info. The event pages had just wiped it off completely, rather than informing you of the cancellation, when I looked earlier. They have now updated them, which is good (I must have looked as they were doing it)

well, not good, in as much as they had to cancel - just that they had updated the info

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

It's strange no email has gone out to people to say that they will be refunded?? I am glad I checked the events I'd booked. Can completely understand why up close events have been cancelled but not very good communication.

Edited by Blossom
5 hours ago, toursenlair said:

It's kind of ironic that I was supposed to be going to a performance there next week of a contemporary mixed program, and judging by the seating plan, the "reduced audience" had taken care of itself. By my guess not more than 300 tickets had been sold!

I am so sorry, Katherine. What a disappointment. Make the best of the journey.❤

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Perhaps. In the meantime, performances continue at the Kennedy Center here, although the Washington DC local gvt is now calling for all gatherings of 1,000+ persons be cancelled (maybe affecting NYCB tour & Wash Ballet’s new Swan Lake soon). Also, I’ve emailed Sarasota Ballet about the status of  the  revival of Ashton’s R&J in a couple of weeks time, so as to possibly recoup some travel costs. We’re all in the same boat.

Update: As NowVoyager pointed out, the Kennedy Center is closed through March 31, effectively canceling the opening night of the NYCB tour. The Washington Ballet (A.D. Julie Kent) announced the postponement of its new Swan Lake to mid-June.

My contact at Sarasota confirmed that the Ashton R&J is still on for late March...so far!

11 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Ireland has just reported that all cultural institutions (serving over 100 people) will close until 29th March.  

does that include stations, supermarkets,

nightclubs and the larger pubs I wonder? 

Ir occurred to me that Diaghilev's Ballets Russes  lived through the Spanish flu epidemic so I googled "Diaghilev's Ballets russes and the Spanish flu pandemic" to see what if anything might show up.  To my great surprise Google referred me to this gobbet in Sjeng Scheijen's "DiaghilevL A Life" at page 336:  "Spain was in a flu epidemic (the first wave of what would become known as the Spanish fly) which felled some of the dancers and kept audiences at home."

On a different but related subject, I am sorry to see that the Dutch National Ballet announced a closure until the end of the month today.  

I hope we can keep our theatres, companies and artists afloat as well as safe during this difficult time.

PS There is a slightly longer reference in Judith Mackrell's "Bloomsbury Ballerina".  The company visited Spain in 1918 performing to reduced audiences at the Liceo in Barcelona and finding Madrid a ghost town with half the city sick and the other half in the countryside.  Several dancers fell ill but while none of them died they felt under siege,

Edited by Terpsichore
Found some more information
  • Like 3

The Stanislavsky Theatre in Moscow made a public announcement in the press:

Dear theatre-goers!

Please note that in accordance with the Decree of the Mayor of Moscow No. 17-UM of March 10, 2020, all events with 5,000 participants and above are currently banned in Moscow. Therefore, all  performances in our theatre will go on. The theatre have taken all measures to protect the health of members of the audience. Bactericidal lamps have been installed in the lobby, all surfaces (railings, door handles) are daily treated repeatedly with disinfectants. The toilet rooms are equipped with dispensers with antiseptic gel for hands.

Take care of yourselves and stay healthy! We are waiting for you in our theatre!

https://stanmus.ru/event/469530

The ROH has taken measures for the protection of their performers and staff: no backstage visits and no public entering the stage door. It is very good. Has anything been done similar to what the Stanislavsky Theatre is doing for the audience?

Edited by Amelia
3 last lines added.
19 hours ago, Gargouillade said:

there *is* a lot of expert advice pointing to the need to implement more radical social distancing measures ASAP.

For example:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

and (a little older but still relevant)

https://slippedisc.com/2020/03/some-expert-advice-on-coronavirus/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well I would hope it doesn't include supermarkets!  Not all of us have gone out and bought 100 tins of bake beans and bog rolls already! 

Interestingly on my last supermarket trip on Wednesday I spotted an employee (management, no less) scurrying off with 48 rolls of loo paper, two packets of dried pasta and 24 bottles of water and loading the lot in her car.  Needless to say there were no loo rolls or dried pasta to be had - and I didn't bother to check the water situation.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

There are clearly different expert opinions (and a lot of opinions from non-experts) as to the most effective strategy. The experts who advise the Government are working to models in which they clearly have confidence, and they speak convincingly (from what I've seen). The fact that it's a different strategy to many other countries is indeed nervewracking, but that's not to say it's wrong. It's good (essential) to ask questions, and to continue to do so, but all I can do is pray for those who have to make these very difficult decisions.

• Like 5
  • alison changed the title to La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus