La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I’ve just seen that Ballet Studio Live at the Royal Opera House next week is cancelled. 

where did you see that, out of interest?

I went to ROH page to the misnamed 'news' page, there isn't anything on there as yet. I say misnamed, as it very rarely has any news, but just has 'what was your reaction to...' type articles

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

where did you see that, out of interest?

I went to ROH page to the misnamed 'news' page, there isn't anything on there as yet. I say misnamed, as it very rarely has any news, but just has 'what was your reaction to...' type articles

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/ballet-studio-live-dates?start-date=17-03-20&end-date=17-03-20

You can also see it labelled "This event is cancelled" on the calendar. Apparently the one on the 18th has also been cancelled.

I've just phoned the box office and was told that those who've booked online with a credit/debit card will receive a refund automatically.

Edited by KyleCheng
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KyleCheng said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/ballet-studio-live-dates?start-date=17-03-20&end-date=17-03-20

You can also see it labelled "This event is cancelled" on the calendar. Apparently the one on the 18th has also been cancelled.

I've just phoned the box office and was told that those who've booked online with a credit/debit card will receive a refund automatically.

Thanks for the info. The event pages had just wiped it off completely, rather than informing you of the cancellation, when I looked earlier. They have now updated them, which is good (I must have looked as they were doing it)

Just now, zxDaveM said:

Thanks for the info. The event pages had just wiped it off completely, rather than informing you of the cancellation, when I looked earlier. They have now updated them, which is good (I must have looked as they were doing it)

well, not good, in as much as they had to cancel - just that they had updated the info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

It's strange no email has gone out to people to say that they will be refunded?? I am glad I checked the events I'd booked. Can completely understand why up close events have been cancelled but not very good communication.

Edited by Blossom

5 hours ago, toursenlair said:

It's kind of ironic that I was supposed to be going to a performance there next week of a contemporary mixed program, and judging by the seating plan, the "reduced audience" had taken care of itself. By my guess not more than 300 tickets had been sold!

I am so sorry, Katherine. What a disappointment. Make the best of the journey.❤

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Perhaps. In the meantime, performances continue at the Kennedy Center here, although the Washington DC local gvt is now calling for all gatherings of 1,000+ persons be cancelled (maybe affecting NYCB tour & Wash Ballet’s new Swan Lake soon). Also, I’ve emailed Sarasota Ballet about the status of  the  revival of Ashton’s R&J in a couple of weeks time, so as to possibly recoup some travel costs. We’re all in the same boat.

Update: As NowVoyager pointed out, the Kennedy Center is closed through March 31, effectively canceling the opening night of the NYCB tour. The Washington Ballet (A.D. Julie Kent) announced the postponement of its new Swan Lake to mid-June.

My contact at Sarasota confirmed that the Ashton R&J is still on for late March...so far!

Ir occurred to me that Diaghilev's Ballets Russes  lived through the Spanish flu epidemic so I googled "Diaghilev's Ballets russes and the Spanish flu pandemic" to see what if anything might show up.  To my great surprise Google referred me to this gobbet in Sjeng Scheijen's "DiaghilevL A Life" at page 336:  "Spain was in a flu epidemic (the first wave of what would become known as the Spanish fly) which felled some of the dancers and kept audiences at home."

On a different but related subject, I am sorry to see that the Dutch National Ballet announced a closure until the end of the month today.  

I hope we can keep our theatres, companies and artists afloat as well as safe during this difficult time.

PS There is a slightly longer reference in Judith Mackrell's "Bloomsbury Ballerina".  The company visited Spain in 1918 performing to reduced audiences at the Liceo in Barcelona and finding Madrid a ghost town with half the city sick and the other half in the countryside.  Several dancers fell ill but while none of them died they felt under siege,

Edited by Terpsichore
Found some more information
  • Like 3

The Stanislavsky Theatre in Moscow made a public announcement in the press:

Dear theatre-goers!

Please note that in accordance with the Decree of the Mayor of Moscow No. 17-UM of March 10, 2020, all events with 5,000 participants and above are currently banned in Moscow. Therefore, all  performances in our theatre will go on. The theatre have taken all measures to protect the health of members of the audience. Bactericidal lamps have been installed in the lobby, all surfaces (railings, door handles) are daily treated repeatedly with disinfectants. The toilet rooms are equipped with dispensers with antiseptic gel for hands.

Take care of yourselves and stay healthy! We are waiting for you in our theatre!

https://stanmus.ru/event/469530

The ROH has taken measures for the protection of their performers and staff: no backstage visits and no public entering the stage door. It is very good. Has anything been done similar to what the Stanislavsky Theatre is doing for the audience?

Edited by Amelia
3 last lines added.

19 hours ago, Gargouillade said:

there *is* a lot of expert advice pointing to the need to implement more radical social distancing measures ASAP.

For example:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

and (a little older but still relevant)

https://slippedisc.com/2020/03/some-expert-advice-on-coronavirus/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well I would hope it doesn't include supermarkets!  Not all of us have gone out and bought 100 tins of bake beans and bog rolls already! 

Interestingly on my last supermarket trip on Wednesday I spotted an employee (management, no less) scurrying off with 48 rolls of loo paper, two packets of dried pasta and 24 bottles of water and loading the lot in her car.  Needless to say there were no loo rolls or dried pasta to be had - and I didn't bother to check the water situation.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

There are clearly different expert opinions (and a lot of opinions from non-experts) as to the most effective strategy. The experts who advise the Government are working to models in which they clearly have confidence, and they speak convincingly (from what I've seen). The fact that it's a different strategy to many other countries is indeed nervewracking, but that's not to say it's wrong. It's good (essential) to ask questions, and to continue to do so, but all I can do is pray for those who have to make these very difficult decisions.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I'm sorry, but as I've said elsewhere that first link is "expert" only if an interest in Star Wars and creative writing is relevant.

By all means, link to contrasting views from epidemiologists and so on, but propagating the views of amateurs is the opposite of helpful in these circumstances.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm sorry, but as I've said elsewhere that first link is "expert" only if an interest in Star Wars and creative writing is relevant.

By all means, link to contrasting views from epidemiologists and so on, but propagating the views of amateurs is the opposite of helpful in these circumstances.

Editor-in-Chief of The Lancet (one of the best medical journals in the world, based in London) Dr Richard Horton: “The evidence is clear. We need urgent implementation of social distancing and closure policies. The government is playing roulette with the public. This is a major error.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/government-is-playing-roulette-with-the-public-as-uk-coronavirus-cases-hit-456/11/03/

Professor of Global Public Health at the University of Edinburgh, Prof Devi Sridhar: "...said the time had come for the UK government to ban large gatherings, ask people to stop non-essential travel, and recommend employers shift to home working"

https://www.ft.com/content/c43b9c3e-6470-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Former Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt: "I think it is surprising and concerning that we're not doing any of it at all when we have just four weeks before we get to the stage that Italy is at."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915 

Former regional director of public health for north-west England Professor John Ashton: “We’ve got a complacent attitude, it feels wooden and academic, and we’ve wasted a month when we should have been engaging with the public."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/health-expert-brands-uks-coronavirus-response-pathetic

Edited by KyleCheng
  • Like 3

And in Sarasota, FL, Ashton’s R&J apparently will go on next weekend (25 March)! The venue - Van Wezel Center - hasn’t issued any update of any sort...the ballet troupe depends on the venue, which depends on mandate by the local & state governments.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

There are clearly different expert opinions (and a lot of opinions from non-experts) as to the most effective strategy. The experts who advise the Government are working to models in which they clearly have confidence, and they speak convincingly (from what I've seen). The fact that it's a different strategy to many other countries is indeed nervewracking, but that's not to say it's wrong. It's good (essential) to ask questions, and to continue to do so, but all I can do is pray for those who have to make these very difficult decisions.

Indeed...and the  links below perhaps throw more light on the UK's particular approach...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915 Telling those with a high temperature or cough to self-isolate for a week will have the "biggest impact" in the fight against coronavirus, the UK's chief science adviser says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51858987 Coronavirus: Three reasons why the UK might not look like Italy

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

(Yet?) Florida has been getting all incomers from abroad to self-isolate for 14 days, hasn't it, or am I getting confused?  One would assume there was a good reason for it.

Alison, I think those guidelines were revised a few days ago:  https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-coronavirus-self-isolate-after-international-travel/31286388#

Of course now, anyone entering the US who's been in a Schengen country in the last 14 days is required by Federal regulation to self-isolate.

Edited by now voyager

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

There are clearly different expert opinions (and a lot of opinions from non-experts) as to the most effective strategy. The experts who advise the Government are working to models in which they clearly have confidence, and they speak convincingly (from what I've seen). 

For those in the UK who would like to remind themselves of the NHS doctrine, here it is, as set in 2011:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213717/dh_131040.pdf

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I apologise. I was sent this link by one of my senior UN colleagues who told me it is a good example of how to communicate these complicated issues to a general audience. 

• Like 2

Hi all.  In these extraordinary times, we mods understand that everyone is worried about the current world health pandemic.  As is always the case with social media, any big news gives rise to rumour, speculation and mis-information.  For this reason, we are asking that, going forward, any discussion of the Covid-19 virus be limited to its effect on cultural closures.  Please don't discuss the medical or political aspects of this problem.  We have already had a couple of posts reported, and in order to stem anything further from snowballing we are curtailing inappropriate comments, even if they are made in good faith and with helpful intent.  We don't want to risk adding to anyone's worry or distress, or disseminating mis-information.

We wish you all well;  take good care of yourselves.  In the meantime, please keep sharing your thoughts about what gives us joy in this increasingly strange world:  ballet and dance.  Thank you for your understanding.

With best wishes,

Sim

Chair, BalletcoForum Committee 

• Like 15

In my town, public life is shutting down completely at the moment - all theatres and cultural venus, cinemas, sports, bars, clubs, everything is closed. Go out and get some ballet while you still can! And toilet paper, of course... 😀😢😱

My DD’s company abroad has cancelled all performances, the theatre is closed, and its tours have been cancelled/postponed. As a relatively large company, it’s probably financially better protected than many, but I know of dancers elsewhere being sent home. Mine is hanging in there for now, waiting for news.