La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus

The thing is our numbers are low because we managed it all very well very initially back in late Jan and early Feb. 
But there has been a second wave .. mainly coming from Italy ...not blaming Italians just noting that’s where this wave started and then we stopped managing it as well as we could have done.

I know it’s difficult to manage viruses they usually do get out of control in the end but I think when the authorities that be saw that it wasn’t killing that many people they took their eyes off the ball. 
The pattern of spread has been different to some other European countries so we could get lucky of course! But the advice to self isolate ONLY if you feel unwell was erroneous I think it should have been to self isolate anyway if you’ve just come back from Italy China Korea any time since January. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone's taken their eye off the ball - the unpleasant truth is that once a certain number of populations nearby have it, let alone our own, it's here to stay and it's about doing what we can to manage it.

I do wonder what will happen in those countries which have apparently turned things around once the rather draconian measures are eased - you can't keep entire populations under quarantine for the year or more it will take to develop a vaccine.

Edited by Lizbie1
Small edit
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think anyone's taken their eye off the ball - the unpleasant truth is that once a certain number of populations nearby have it, let alone our own, it's here to stay and it's about doing what we can to manage it.

I do wonder what will happen in those countries who have turned things around once the rather draconian measures are eased - you can't keep entire populations under quarantine for the year or more it will take to develop a vaccine.

Here’s hoping we can limit the spread by taking sensible precautions. My assumption is that as an illness that generally doesn’t cause to much grief to the fit and healthy we want to avoid the vulnerable needing to be hospitalised in ITU beds so want to avoid them catching it. 

As someone who fits the vulnerable category and with an aged mother with the same health condition but further down the path, we’ve made changes to our daily life to try to avoid catching covid-19. And I would hope others in similar situations would do the same. I’m obviously working but won’t be planning any trips or outings to crowded places and will avoid public transport. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Jane said:

As someone who fits the vulnerable category and with an aged mother with the same health condition but further down the path, we’ve made changes to our daily life to try to avoid catching covid-19. And I would hope others in similar situations would do the same. I’m obviously working but won’t be planning any trips or outings to crowded places and will avoid public transport. 

I no longer have any "oldies" to worry about (luckily/unluckily?) but the shadow of helping to look after an increasingly frail parent is long: I keep thinking of my father's wonderful carer and the task ahead of her.

I don't want to sound pious, but I hope that most who have had such an experience can associate with the importance of putting such people first, and that others understand it too.

Wishing you and your mother well, Jane!

Edited by Lizbie1
Missing word
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I no longer have any "oldies" to worry about (luckily/unluckily?) but the shadow of helping to look after an increasingly frail parent is long: I keep thinking of my father's wonderful carer and the task ahead of her.

I don't want to sound pious, but I hope that most who have had such an experience can associate the importance of putting such people first, and that others understand it too.

Wishing you and your mother well, Jane!

Thank you @Lizbie1  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Angela said:

They will be closing down everything until April 19th, too. I'm going cold turkey...

Go and visit as much dance, theatre and concerts as you can, dear folks in Britain, you're just a few days behind. 

Oh no! 

I just received an email from Berlin State Ballet (I have 26 tickets booked with them for the coming week) offering the following options:

I would like a voucher for the value of the ticket(s).   
 I would like a refund:  

I waive a refund and donate the purchase price to the health programme of the Staatsballett Berlin.

San Francisco Ballet is also asking patrons if they would consider donating the value of their ticket. Otherwise they will offer a credit for another SFB performance valid till May 2021. Not much good for people who might be travelling great distances to see the cancelled performances. I wonder if they can get away with not offering a refund.

Paris Opera Ballet is doing automatic refunds (they must have that process down pat by now!)

Unfortunately as I still can’t drive I have to use public transport or would get nowhere. 
It hasn’t got to the stage just yet where I’m not leaving the house!! 
I hope London doesn’t get so bad they have to start closing the theatres but I’m not holding my breath! 

• Like 1

Maybe, with the UK about to move into the next stage of 'managing' the disease, we should give this thread a different heading.

After all, the Forum could well be a useful conduit of information about changes which affect ballet-going audiences.

• Like 5

The Royal Danish Ballet has today cancelled all performances up to March 27th - ticket money will be refunded automatically.

Earlier this week they had announced that becasue of the limit of 1000 people in any assembly, they were continuing their performance schedule but were cutting the audience by half, with the intention that no two people would sit together. How they were doing this I have no idea but it must have been a huge job and now completely wasted...

The RDB were due to give their premiere of Neumeier's Mahler3rd Symphony on Saturday  - there are a few performances at the very end of March and one in April so they might just get those.

And this from Stuttgart Ballet 

Due to the preventive measures being taken by the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg to contain the spreading of the Corona virus, all performances between March 11th and April 19th, 2020 have been cancelled. 

27 minutes ago, annamicro said:

This would be perfectly aligned with Brexit....

It would be perfectly aligned with practicality, since I understand that a majority of Forum members are in the UK. However, I don't mind whether there's a separate thread or not; I'm finding the Forum's constructive information sharing about this situation very helpful.

• Like 3

So when is the ROH going to do the socially responsible thing and follow suit with closure? 

(I know that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that the UK is being extraordinarily complacent right now. See this link for the crucial distinction between 'true' and 'official' cases: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Well, if it's socially responsible to close theatres, then they will have to close down the London tube network too.  I would much rather be in a crowded theatre than rammed almost nose-to-nose with people every morning and evening. 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Well, if it's socially responsible to close theatres, then they will have to close down the London tube network too.  I would much rather be in a crowded theatre than rammed almost nose-to-nose with people every morning and evening. 

So would I. Hence recommendations to work from home and avoid crowded areas. Social distancing has been proven to help flatten the curve, and closing theatres, cinemas, gyms and so on is an important part of that. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Gargouillade said:

So when is the ROH going to do the socially responsible thing and follow suit with closure? 

(I know that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that the UK is being extraordinarily complacent right now. See this link for the crucial distinction between 'true' and 'official' cases: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I’d rather take my advice from our CMO - an actual epidemiologist -than someone whose output has previously concentrated on Star Wars and storytelling.

Sorry to be a bit sharp, but there are a lot of instant experts out there whose opinions aren’t helping.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

I’d rather take my advice from our CMO - an actual epidemiologist -than someone whose output has previously concentrated on Star Wars and storytelling.

Sorry to be a bit sharp, but there are a lot of instant experts out there whose opinions aren’t helping.

Fair enough. I take your point. We need actual experts now more than ever. But there *is* a lot of expert advice pointing to the need to implement more radical social distancing measures ASAP.

Speaking purely from personal experience as someone who was working in South East Asia when SARS broke out, the 'business as usual' mentality is not helpful or socially responsible. 

• Like 3

I work for a large company and we are continuing as normal.  I guess we will continue to do that until told otherwise by the government or until someone tests positive for the virus.

Just now, Jeannette said:

Well, Brexit  may be to thank for the UK not included in the new travel ban between the US and Europe (as of midnight Friday).

I think it’s a Schengen thing - not that that’s very rational either 🙂

34 minutes ago, Gargouillade said:

I'm starting to agree with you and feel we need to be doing more already.

• Like 1
  • alison changed the title to La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus