La Scala (and other non-UK theatres/companies) closed due to coronavirus

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Im worried they are going to start putting a curfew on us older members!  Especially those over 70 .... Was just wondering with a touch of makeup what age I could pass for 🙄 

Will they ask for ID at the ROH then Lin?
there could be serious restrictions on opera and ballet audiences if so.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Did countries have similar measures in place when the SARS virus was doing the rounds?

I don't want in any way to sound flippant but this virus seems to be much less deadly overall than SARS and I don't remember everyone being so panic stricken by that.

Lombardy has a very efficient health care system, but of the usual 900 intensive care unit beds, 466 as today are occupied by Covid-19 patients only. More have been put in place but if the number of critical patients increases they would not be enough for Covid-19 patients and all the others requiring this kind of assistance.

The whole Italy has around 5000 beds and at the moment 877 patients: if other regions will reach the number of patients of Lombardy, the system would collapse.

This is the reason why Germany and France are already closing their theatres.

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm hoping I'll get to see Traviata on Saturday, especially as one of my favourite mezzos is making her ROH debut, but I'm not holding out much hope that I'll get to see what was supposed to be my first live Swan Lake (yes, I am very belated!) on 28th, let alone my April-May bookings. It's also difficult to know what to do about future bookings. Tomorrow not only does ROH summer season Friends booking opens but also Opera Holland Park's Inspire ticket booking. Between the two there are seven performances I wanted to book for June-August but goodness knows what state the country & the theatres will be in by then.

I'm going to book as normal tomorrow, since the ROH (and I assume most other venues, though I don't know) would refund if the performances were cancelled.

• Like 6

I was joking a bit Shade!

I don’t think there will be an official curfew but it might be expected socially that us oldies should stay at home so may need to tart myself up a bit so can get away with being under 70 and people don’t tut when out and about! 😉
I suppose if things get really bad general

travel might be restricted and probably certainly theatres etc will be closed 😢 

I do hope Caesar gets at least one Swan Lake and one Prodigal Son in before this .. after his recent bad luck ...even if I don’t get to see him 😢

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this but dancers at Staatsballett Berlin are reporting the cancellation of performances  into April, specifically Ratmansky’s Bayadere (13, 15, 17, 20 March) and Bart’s Swan Lake (14, 17, 22, 24, 25, 27 March and 2 April). Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum...

Edited by Jeannette
Adding exact dates

18 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Here's what I'd like to see: a communication from ROH and other theatres saying to stay away if you have any symptoms or are yourself vulnerable, accompanied by an offer to refund or exchange tickets; and hand sanitiser stations at strategic points.

I agree with this, although I think it would be difficult to enforce.

I'm afraid that human nature dictates that at least a portion of people with symptoms would still go to the theatres anyways, thinking that they're not too unwell or simply not wanting to miss the performance. Furthermore, as mentioned earlier, infected people are able to pass the virus on before showing any symptom. 

So I think it will do good to everyone to be extra vigilant. Besides hand-washing and avoidance of unnecessary contact, it may actually be a good time to start thinking about wearing masks. Granted, the scientific evidence has been mixed, which does not mean that evidence suggests mask-wearing is ineffective, but that it seems to only be effective under certain circumstances: properly worn, properly stored, worn at places where a mask is needed (which, arguably, includes a crowded indoor space such as a theatre), and coupled with other personal hygiene measures. I will admit that I personally have not been wearing a mask to the theatres so far, including two Swan Lake performances I attended last week, possibly overly confident in my relatively young age, but I would certainly not frown upon the sight of people wearing masks in theatres either.

Stuttgart State Theatre is not canceling performances but spectators can cancel performances up to April 19th free of charge.

https://www.staatstheater-stuttgart.de/corona

So it is the same with this. 

19 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Here's what I'd like to see: a communication from ROH and other theatres saying to stay away if you have any symptoms or are yourself vulnerable, accompanied by an offer to refund or exchange tickets; and hand sanitiser stations at strategic points.

11 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Not sure where to put this but dancers at Staatsballett Berlin are reporting the cancellation of performances  into April, specifically Ratmansky’s Bayadere (13, 15, 17, 20 March) and Bart’s Swan Lake (14, 17, 22, 24, 25, 27 March and 2 April). Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum...

This is now official from the Berlin Opera and ballet theatres  - ALL performances cancelled through mid April. Go to the Staatsballett and Staatsoper webs.

Just now, Sim said:

I must say I have seen almost no-one wearing masks, either on the tube, buses, or in theatres. 

In Japan almost everyone wear masks, but it is impossible to purchase masks as they are out of stock, they form long queues in the morning in front of drug stores before they open in effort to buy them.  I wonder how everyone manages to get one. 

During the recent Paris Opera Ballet tour, the promoter were giving away masks to members of the audience if they don't wear one.  it was one of the very few performances that were held in Japan in March. The windows were open at the lobby to bring in fresh air, hand sanitizers were placed everywhere and thermography were placed at the entrance to measure the visitors' temperature.   

• Like 1

I work with doctors and pharmacists, and they say that the efficacity of masks, especially the simple paper ones you can buy over the counter, is debatable.  They said that the best thing they accomplish is to stop us touching our own mouths and noses after we've touched something potentially contaminated with virus.  So that's a good thing, I guess!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sim said:

I work with doctors and pharmacists, and they say that the efficacity of masks, especially the simple paper ones you can buy over the counter, is debatable.  They said that the best thing they accomplish is to stop us touching our own mouths and noses after we've touched something potentially contaminated with virus.  So that's a good thing, I guess!

But other experts say they are worse than useless because the discomfort of wearing one makes people touch their faces more!

We are being told that the only people who should wear masks are those who are already sick (who shouldn't be out in public anyway)

Edited by toursenlair
  • Like 2

I can’t wear them ...not that I’ve got one anyway.....there’s a good reason for this fairly specific to myself so I would just have to risk without but if forced to in a theatre wouldn’t go in unfortunately. I don’t mind at all if others wear them but not for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

But other experts say they are worse than useless because the discomfort of wearing one makes people touch their faces more!

Yes, this was clearly the case with some people who were wearing masks at the ROH last night. Constant fiddling and re-adjustment.

15 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

I think you are right that the evidence has been mixed, i.e. different studies are finding results contradicting with each other in terms of effectiveness. So it depends on which ones one choose to believe. As far as I am concerned either way is not unreasonable. 

I also think it is helpful to not think of a singular measure as "the most important one" or "all you need to do is this". Washing hands constantly, avoiding unnecessary physical contacts, not touching your faces, coughing into tissues rather than your hands... etc are all equally warranted. It'd be dangerous to think that one is exempt from some of them because (s)he's done the others. The same goes with people who decide to wear a mask, of course.

At the end of the day it has not been my habit to wear one, I just hope to put it out there that I am personally not against other people wearing it, in case anyone wishes to do so but is concerned about other people's judgement. :)

Edited by KyleCheng
  • Like 2

The biggest single measure the Government should take is to ensure an adequate supply of the right kind (i.e. alcohol-based) sanitiser both in the shops and for public places. Without this particular supply chain, some of the advisories become meaningless.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, capybara said:

The biggest single measure the Government should take is to ensure an adequate supply of the right kind (i.e. alcohol-based) cleanser both in the shops and for public places. Without this particular supply chain, some of the advisories become meaningless.

Easier said than done though?

This from the Canadian Public Health Agency:

Wearing masks

If you are a healthy individual, the use of a mask is not recommended for preventing the spread of COVID-19.

Wearing a mask when you are not ill may give a false sense of security. There is a potential risk of infection with improper mask use and disposal. They also need to be changed frequently.

However, your health care provider may recommend you wear a mask if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 while you are seeking or waiting for care. In this instance, masks are an appropriate part of infection prevention and control measures. The mask acts as a barrier and helps stop the tiny droplets from spreading you when you cough or sneeze.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

Stuttgart State Theatre is not canceling performances but spectators can cancel performances up to April 19th free of charge.

They will be closing down everything until April 19th, too. I'm going cold turkey...

Go and visit as much dance, theatre and concerts as you can, dear folks in Britain, you're just a few days behind. 

1 minute ago, Angela said:

They will be closing down everything until April 19th, too. I'm going cold turkey...

Go and visit as much dance, theatre and concerts as you can, dear folks in Britain, you're just a few days behind. 

...and maybe they should not run to try to surpass us...

The thing is our numbers are low because we managed it all very well very initially back in late Jan and early Feb. 
But there has been a second wave .. mainly coming from Italy ...not blaming Italians just noting that’s where this wave started and then we stopped managing it as well as we could have done.

I know it’s difficult to manage viruses they usually do get out of control in the end but I think when the authorities that be saw that it wasn’t killing that many people they took their eyes off the ball. 
The pattern of spread has been different to some other European countries so we could get lucky of course! But the advice to self isolate ONLY if you feel unwell was erroneous I think it should have been to self isolate anyway if you’ve just come back from Italy China Korea any time since January. 

I don't think anyone's taken their eye off the ball - the unpleasant truth is that once a certain number of populations nearby have it, let alone our own, it's here to stay and it's about doing what we can to manage it.

I do wonder what will happen in those countries which have apparently turned things around once the rather draconian measures are eased - you can't keep entire populations under quarantine for the year or more it will take to develop a vaccine.

Edited by Lizbie1
Small edit
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think anyone's taken their eye off the ball - the unpleasant truth is that once a certain number of populations nearby have it, let alone our own, it's here to stay and it's about doing what we can to manage it.

I do wonder what will happen in those countries who have turned things around once the rather draconian measures are eased - you can't keep entire populations under quarantine for the year or more it will take to develop a vaccine.

Here’s hoping we can limit the spread by taking sensible precautions. My assumption is that as an illness that generally doesn’t cause to much grief to the fit and healthy we want to avoid the vulnerable needing to be hospitalised in ITU beds so want to avoid them catching it. 

As someone who fits the vulnerable category and with an aged mother with the same health condition but further down the path, we’ve made changes to our daily life to try to avoid catching covid-19. And I would hope others in similar situations would do the same. I’m obviously working but won’t be planning any trips or outings to crowded places and will avoid public transport. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jane said:

As someone who fits the vulnerable category and with an aged mother with the same health condition but further down the path, we’ve made changes to our daily life to try to avoid catching covid-19. And I would hope others in similar situations would do the same. I’m obviously working but won’t be planning any trips or outings to crowded places and will avoid public transport. 

I no longer have any "oldies" to worry about (luckily/unluckily?) but the shadow of helping to look after an increasingly frail parent is long: I keep thinking of my father's wonderful carer and the task ahead of her.

I don't want to sound pious, but I hope that most who have had such an experience can associate with the importance of putting such people first, and that others understand it too.

Wishing you and your mother well, Jane!

Edited by Lizbie1
Missing word
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I no longer have any "oldies" to worry about (luckily/unluckily?) but the shadow of helping to look after an increasingly frail parent is long: I keep thinking of my father's wonderful carer and the task ahead of her.

I don't want to sound pious, but I hope that most who have had such an experience can associate the importance of putting such people first, and that others understand it too.

Wishing you and your mother well, Jane!

Thank you @Lizbie1  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angela said:

Oh no! 

I just received an email from Berlin State Ballet (I have 26 tickets booked with them for the coming week) offering the following options:

I would like a voucher for the value of the ticket(s).   
 I would like a refund:  

I waive a refund and donate the purchase price to the health programme of the Staatsballett Berlin.

San Francisco Ballet is also asking patrons if they would consider donating the value of their ticket. Otherwise they will offer a credit for another SFB performance valid till May 2021. Not much good for people who might be travelling great distances to see the cancelled performances. I wonder if they can get away with not offering a refund.

Paris Opera Ballet is doing automatic refunds (they must have that process down pat by now!)

Unfortunately as I still can’t drive I have to use public transport or would get nowhere. 
It hasn’t got to the stage just yet where I’m not leaving the house!! 
I hope London doesn’t get so bad they have to start closing the theatres but I’m not holding my breath! 

• Like 1