Adult Ballet - Finding a Class (Basingstoke area)

Alexander

The problem is not that such threads (including the one I started about 18 months ago about London absolute beginner classes) can't be found in searches, but rather, that That Thread may be appearing more prominently in search results than is useful.  I therefore still think it might be worth renaming it to something which better reflects its content.  Though I appreciate this might be a delicate diplomatic operation.  Sorry for derailing your thread, Alexander!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RuthE said:

It is less basic than David Kierce's Absolute Beginner class, but easier than his Beginner Improver class.  I hear Hannah's Danceworks class has a bit of turning (I haven't taken it) whereas her Central class has little or none.

I would agree with assessment of Hannah's Central class 

• Like 1

How exciting to see that Baroque dance is more available than it used to be - I studied it about 35 years ago when it was somewhat niche. (Oops, don't mean to sound all  "I used to do that before it was cool!") Anyway, as a baroque dancer you will have really good posture and neat feet. You'll find allegro much easier than beginners usually do. Good luck in finding a suitable class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

How exciting to see that Baroque dance is more available than it used to be 

Yeh, I love it! Tricky, real tricky and far more restrained than ballet but the aesthetic and language I find v cool.Ties in well with smallsword fencing.

Looking at courante tonight.. v interesting. Like minuet in reverse. And moving to Handel is, well, fab.

Edited by Alexander
Typo
  • Like 2

If you can bear a really early start on Saturday, there's an adult open class in Abingdon at 8.30am - there'll be very little traffic and at least it avoids going into London. I confess I might hesitate before recommending that session to someone absolutely new to dance but I think with your experience you'll be fine.

http://downland-dance.co.uk/classes/class-timetable/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update and a thanks for all the suggestions.

I made it to an adult class on a Saturday morning with an RAD teacher... v good, I can feel lots of muscles complaining. Focus on technique and pacey.. wish I could do more but pleased I have somewhere local to drop in.

Thanks again to all here!

• Like 4

The Point at Eastleigh has an impressive programme of dance both to watch & participate in - regular classes & one off courses across age groups... Only ever been to watch things as it’s quite far from me but looks to be lots going on & not far from Basingstoke! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 2