Perfectly On Pointe

~ First Pair Of Pointe Shoe Concerns ~

On 23/02/2020 at 12:27, Perfectly On Pointe said:

I have high arches (and everyone keeps telling me I have ideal ballet feet) 

Your feet look good in those shoes, but "perfect ballet feet" are feet AND ankles which have the strength in arch & ankles to fully straighten when on pointe - that's how you get over the box, particularly in second position.

I can see that you have the high arched "banana feet" but they are no use to you if you don't have the foot strength and ankle strength & mobility to use them. I'd say from your photos that you might look at developing strength & flexibility in your ankles - ask your teacher about theraband exercises, and other ankle strengthening & flexibility work. Simple rises in parallel at the barre are good.

Also just rolling up and down through your feet in pointe shoes in parallel at the barre. It's about developing the strength to mould those shanks to your instep.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

From the photo it looks like she is not standing correctly, or standing far enough over, onto the box of the shoe.

To me, it looks like a lack of strength & flexibility in the ankle, as much as in the feet. You can see this in the picture of feet in parallel.

• Like 3

Yes, I thought my feet weren’t as flexible/super strong yet. So I have been doing theraband/releves/pointe prances, to try to help my feet.

I was hoping that, by the summer, my feet would be very flexible and strong, if I keep on doing TheraBand/releves/rolling/prance exercises 2-3 times a week.

As with all things, I have to practice/work at it :)

My feet are shorter en pointe (and in high heels- I wear 1/2 size smaller!). I need elastic on everything but freeds, so I presume depends on the shoe shape too. I agree it is dangerous if they pop off!

• Like 1

I tried my pointe shoes without elastics, and they felt insecure around my heels. Like they were slipping.

So, I going to sew single band elastics near my heel, but not right at my heel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Perfectly On Pointe said:

I tried my pointe shoes without elastics, and they felt insecure around my heels. Like they were slipping.

So, I going to sew single band elastics near my heel, but not right at my heel.

I used to sew heel elastic at least a thumb-width either side of the vertical seam at the heel.  

15 hours ago, Perfectly On Pointe said:

I thought my feet weren’t as flexible/super strong yet

Don't forget to focus on your ankles - think about getting the stretch through your ankles to point your foot. We often focus on the instruction:  "point your toes." When you go to point your toes, make sure you start from the ankle, not just your foot arch and toes. 

• Like 6

My DD found that darning (noticeable rim) just around the box helped her ‘feel’ the floor and therefore position herself correctly en pointe. Especially in the early days of pointe work. 
There are plenty of videos on YouTube by Leanne of Straighttothepointe that are so helpful. 🙆‍♀️🩰 

• Like 2