Drop-in studios outside London (Up North!!)

Yrosered

Hi

We were in London earlier this week (to see Dancers at a Gathering/The Cellist) and as my 16yo DD has missed a week of dance thanks to a virus and was full of GCSE revision blues so I suggested she book into Pineapple or Danceworks for a class. She did ballet with Louise Bennett at Danceworks who she knew from NYB and came out glowing.

She loves her training but it can be really pressurised. This was a mixed class of hobby and professional dancers and she really liked the option of taking a class for fun. 

Does anyone know of any studios like Danceworks/Pineapple in the north (preferably Yorkshire) where dancers can do drop in classes every now and then? It would be nice for her to have the option whenever she wanted to take a class for fun but crucially knowing the teaching was good as well?

Thanks! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Drop in studios outside London

KNT  in Manchester  in well regarded  , Karen certainly seems to have no problems in getting  really good guest teachers  - as well as being a damn good  teacher  herself  -  KNT's class descriptions do match those  that  if you are used to  taking classes Danceworks /pineapple /Central  you'll be familiar with the levels

Hype in Sheffield  has  good  Ballet and Contemporary classes for adults on a Monday ( my only gripe is that  the classes are only an hour  - but i am egualr and   do pointe , InterBallet and 'Beginner' Contemporary  on a regualt basis ) 

while Northern Ballet  does have public classes which are bookable PAYG their offer is somewhat limited and I don't know how capitalised the I is on their Intermediate offering  , especially if you are used to what. there are other  good teachers and  schools in West Yorks, however i'm not sure  about PAYG options

I'd second both Northern Ballet - sounds like the advanced class would best meet your DD's needs, and KNT where Karen is fab. 

There is also Dance Studio Leeds just outside Leeds City Centre (it's walkable but a stiff walk and probably not one I'd do alone after dark) and Yorkshire Dance (near Northern Ballet) - although I don't think YD have ballet on any more due to the proximity to Northern. Their lyrical and contemporary classes are nice though. 

1 hour ago, Balletchick said:

I'd second both Northern Ballet - sounds like the advanced class would best meet your DD's needs, and KNT where Karen is fab. 

There is also Dance Studio Leeds just outside Leeds City Centre (it's walkable but a stiff walk and probably not one I'd do alone after dark) and Yorkshire Dance (near Northern Ballet) - although I don't think YD have ballet on any more due to the proximity to Northern. Their lyrical and contemporary classes are nice though. 

Northern does not have an 'Advanced' public  class and their Intermediate  if i recall correcrtly is not  necessarily  what  what would expect  from Inter in London  or at KNT   (Northern's public classes  do not allow  pointe work AT ALL   - this appears to be a lay management decision  as i have  taken  pointe class in the building under the aegis of another provider  and  have been taught pointe classes by AoNB  teachers  at other  venues when not  teaching on behalf of  AoNB )

https://northernballet.com/academy/training-programmes/open-classes/adult-courses

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Drop in studios outside London (Up North!!)
19 hours ago, Kate_N said:

What about studios in York? 

We live in York and although there are plenty of good dance schools I don't know of any that do drop in classes. Looks like Yorkshire needs a Danceworks/Pineapple of its own,  if any entrepenerurial teachers are out there?!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yrosered said:

We live in York and although there are plenty of good dance schools I don't know of any that do drop in classes. Looks like Yorkshire needs a Danceworks/Pineapple of its own,  if any entrepenerurial teachers are out there?!

there simply isn't the number of Jobbing pro  dancers / triple threat folx  in 'Yorkshire'  to support it ( plus also for the Leeds / Bradford crowd it's not that  far / long to pop across to KNT ), i've no insight into  the books of DW or Pineapple, but  observation suggests  that even  Inter  and General  classes are  populated with a significant number of   performing arts  pros ... 

I also think that  both pineapple and DW  make a far amount of money from   studios being used for auditions / castings  etc ...  

we have the situation in the Midlands and the North that there are patches of  very good  provision but  it's still no where near  the volumes  that London is  able to sustain  especially at or above Intermediate / General  Level 

Edited by NJH

28 minutes ago, NJH said:

there simply isn't the number of Jobbing pro  dancers / triple threat folx  in 'Yorkshire'  to support it ( plus also for the Leeds / Bradford crowd it's not that  far / long to pop across to KNT ), i've no insight into  the books of DW or Pineapple, but  observation suggests  that even  Inter  and General  classes are  populated with a significant number of   performing arts  pros ... 

I also think that  both pineapple and DW  make a far amount of money from   studios being used for auditions / castings  etc ...  

we have the situation in the Midlands and the North that there are patches of  very good  provision but  it's still no where near  the volumes  that London is  able to sustain  especially at or above Intermediate / General  Level 

I was being a little tongue in cheek although as I have no knowledge of how to use emojis it's hard to tell I admit! Although my daughter did say she thought there was only one professional in the Danceworks class she attended and that although the teacher is does teach company level most people seemed to be there for hobby/pleasure but the class catered for both levels. 

If we ever did get the fast affordable trans Pennine we have been promised forever then those pockets could be nicely joined up and a business model look more realistic...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yrosered said:

If we ever did get the fast affordable trans Pennine we have been promised forever then those pockets could be nicely joined up and a business model look more realistic...

I've just seen a huge flock of pink pigs flying past my window.  I had always found TP good until the last year or so ... but believe me the air was blue in Lime Street on Sunday afternoon when 3 trainloads of people were crammed onto one train heading up to Edinburgh (and that was running late!). The Scarborough and Glasgow trains had both been cancelled because of defective carriages.  As these are all new trains don't they road test the blummin' things before they put them into service?  Oh what a silly question that is!!

Sorry for going O/T.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Yrosered said:

I was being a little tongue in cheek although as I have no knowledge of how to use emojis it's hard to tell I admit! Although my daughter did say she thought there was only one professional in the Danceworks class she attended and that although the teacher is does teach company level most people seemed to be there for hobby/pleasure but the class catered for both levels. 

Danceworks it  depends whose class you are taking 

i did Denzil Bailey's  wednesday morning 'Inter' class a couple of weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of pros in there given the  pre-class chatter  about who was doing the fixed term gigs with ENB for the in the round   ( and  Denzil did  say he turned the class up to 11  )  fun one forthe side eye, crowd  when Denzil  greeted me  warmly   as he came in .. 

9 hours ago, NJH said:

lincoln is doing pretty well rail wise lately   ... still a 2.5 to 3  hour trip to get to leeds by  rail though 

It’s only been promised

- like so many things - and I don’t think it’s actually operating yet. Our latest train back from London is 7.30. Can I put Beeching in Room 101? 

• Like 1

Oh I so agree with that! Total disaster policies with no foresight & no future proof planning whatsoever....unlike the fantastic Victorian railway & engineering pioneers who’s vision created amazing trusted bridges, sewers, tube & train tunnels & routes still relied on today!
We should’ve added to these rail links over the years, not removed ‘capillaries’ & ‘veins’ which then missed the point of complete country connectivity! 
The only error? Politicians!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fiz said:

It’s only been promised

- like so many things - and I don’t think it’s actually operating yet. Our latest train back from London is 7.30. Can I put Beeching in Room 101? 

so the 'promised'  train I caught  from  Lincoln Central  last Thursday  was  a myth ? 

a 'side effect' of  this is the  reinstatement of  direct services Lincoln- Grantham 

1 minute ago, Fiz said:

@NJH I only said “I don’t think it is actually in operation”. There’s no need to be so sarcastic. 

LNER's  increased service levels came in with the Azuma  (  some of which can run on  both diesel and from the wires - trains to lincoln needing to be the ones with that ability as the wires stop at Newark ) trains ,   with  5 trains each way from October 2019  ( the  existing HST early morning to london and back to lincoln at 1906 off KGX + 4  Azuma  operated services, the winter timetable saw  another daytime train and  weekend  direct trains added )

https://www.visitlincoln.com/blog/new-lincoln-london-direct-azuma-trains-announced-by-lner

as  they (  virgin EC > LNER)  didn't have the HST (intercity 125) availability to  offer more services  before  the new Azuma stock came - they had  mainline slots  and started trains from Newark using  Electric locos but that still meant a EMT/EMR  train to Newark  from lincoln and a trek across  from Castle to NG 

there's still the one slightly circuitously routed service each way  on EMR as well  which goes via Nottingham and the Midland main line to St Pancras  each morning 

My my, that all sounds crazily complicated....I used to take a train from Newark to Nottingham to school many many years ago.....happy memories of wind in hair as hanging out of doorways, playing with tennis balls in the guards carriage & leaping on & off moving trains.....those were the days 🤣

And in case I already dint feel old enough.... I can visit my local heritage railway & travel on those very same style carriages.... ah, the joy of that scratchy geometric 2 tone blue fabric!!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

My my, that all sounds crazily complicated....I used to take a train from Newark to Nottingham to school many many years ago.....happy memories of wind in hair as hanging out of doorways, playing with tennis balls in the guards carriage & leaping on & off moving trains.....those were the days 🤣

And in case I already dint feel old enough.... I can visit my local heritage railway & travel on those very same style carriages.... ah, the joy of that scratchy geometric 2 tone blue fabric!!!

post Beeching the majorityof Lincon's train services to  civilisation  went to weither Nottingham or Sheffield , 

there was one early morning to London and one  evening train back from  London ( via Newark  and the east coast mainline) , although thes was cut in the days of GNER  ...  it was brought back and then east midlands trains replaced a Lincoln -nottingham  train in the morning with  a train that  ran Lincoln - castle - Nottigham and then down the midland main line

Virgin east coast got mainline slots for  4 or 5  trains Lincoln to KX but didn't have the trains to do it -  so started this  trains under the wires at Newark  as they had  carriages to do it and could  provide or hire in  an electric loco to haul it - when the Azuma trains arrived they could start those trains from Lincoln - running on diesel into Newark NG, then connecting to the wires and running to Lonodon on  electricity

• Like 1

I learned from a local history book recently, that in the late 1800s it was possible to travel by train to London literally from the end of the road I live on in our tiny Cumbrian village. Now that I know, I can indeed recognise the signs on the landscape of the old railway infrastructure.

These days we have a nearly 40 mile drive to the West Coast Mainline and even then not every train stops at our nearest mainline station. We have one bus per week through the village to our nearest town. And they call this progress. 🙄

• Like 5

On 25/02/2020 at 10:57, NJH said:

Northern does not have an 'Advanced' public  class and their Intermediate  if i recall correcrtly is not  necessarily  what  what would expect  from Inter in London  or at KNT   (Northern's public classes  do not allow  pointe work AT ALL   - this appears to be a lay management decision  as i have  taken  pointe class in the building under the aegis of another provider  and  have been taught pointe classes by AoNB  teachers  at other  venues when not  teaching on behalf of  AoNB )

https://northernballet.com/academy/training-programmes/open-classes/adult-courses

You are right about the advanced class. I think because they call them Beginner - Improver - Intermediate, in my head that translates as Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced. Apologies for any confusion.

I must admit I have found that the intermediate class at NB is good for setting down and maintaining technique - the exercises may not be flashy or overly complex but they certainly allow for you to focus on technique. I know a few post vocational school students (or holiday vocational school students) who have attended and haven't found it worthless. Yes - there's no pointe, but the class is still valuable IMO.

To a well-trained and thoughtful dancer, a beginners class with an experienced and expert teacher can be tough and challenging because the slow pace and emphasis on fundamentals allows for no skimping on clean precise and correct technique.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Balletchick said:

You are right about the advanced class. I think because they call them Beginner - Improver - Intermediate, in my head that translates as Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced. Apologies for any confusion.

I must admit I have found that the intermediate class at NB is good for setting down and maintaining technique - the exercises may not be flashy or overly complex but they certainly allow for you to focus on technique. I know a few post vocational school students (or holiday vocational school students) who have attended and haven't found it worthless. Yes - there's no pointe, but the class is still valuable IMO.

as @Kate_N says in  their reply  immediately above ,   class with a good teacher  at a modest level  has it's own benefits, especially if the teacher knows you. 

I have known dancers be shocked both ways when attending class described as 'intermediate' , with those who have danced  places which call  a class ' intermediate ', that others might call an Improvers / Improvers  + / Elementary class, and then  have taken an Intermediate  class  by London / Awarding body   standards   ( quick paced  barre with  brief explanations lots of change of weight  / inside leg / long combinations  and forward - revrse  and changed  sides forward and reverse all just donewas one ),  pointe normalised  even if not  expected/ required,  multiple turns  normalised,  centre combinations described  rather than demonstrated ... )  amnd equially the converse situation where someone  goes to an 'intermediate' class  and  recieves  a rather more basic class than  one  would expect in an Inter Class  at say  Danceworks / Pineapple /Central nights ... 

• alison changed the title to Drop-in studios outside London (Up North!!)