Jump to content
Crazylifecrazykids

Year 7 audition info for a complete beginner!😂

Recommended Posts

Hi

Looking for experience please, would someone be kind enough to tell me what generally happens at the first auditions for Year 7 RBS and Elmhurst please. Things like do they need to do splits both types front and box, froggies, improvisation etc that sort of thing... do they take their shoes off etc. All this is new to us and I'm on a fact finding mission 😂 thanks in advance 😊

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s pretty much a yes to all of the above. At Royal, there is a lot of standing front, side, back to see physical stuff. Some stretching just as you’ve described above and they take shoes off I believe. A simple ballet class with barre, port de bras, center work, simple pirouette, allegro and corner allegro. Then some improvisation to music. 
It’s the same for Elmhurst although not so much ‘ looking ‘ at the beginning. I’m not sure if there’s any impro at Emhurst either.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a long standing thread (6 years and counting!) that it may be useful to peruse:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RBS run audition experience days and parents could observe when my Dd took part. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, valentina said:

It’s pretty much a yes to all of the above. At Royal, there is a lot of standing front, side, back to see physical stuff. Some stretching just as you’ve described above and they take shoes off I believe. A simple ballet class with barre, port de bras, center work, simple pirouette, allegro and corner allegro. Then some improvisation to music. 
It’s the same for Elmhurst although not so much ‘ looking ‘ at the beginning. I’m not sure if there’s any impro at Emhurst either.

Thankyou, is it important they are able to get flat down in splits both legs and box splits? DD can do one leg flat, the other almost there but box is more of a challenge! Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Thankyou, is it important they are able to get flat down in splits both legs and box splits? DD can do one leg flat, the other almost there but box is more of a challenge! Lol 

 
As usual, it’s a balance of all things. A student with a lovely physique who maybe is not quite down on one splits will not matter. I think box splits is quite important but again, if you’re not down fully it won’t matter if you have the physical attributes. I know there are students in yr 7 White Lodge with varying degrees of flexibility but obviously you would want to show as much flexibility as possible!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Thankyou, is it important they are able to get flat down in splits both legs and box splits? DD can do one leg flat, the other almost there but box is more of a challenge! Lol 

 
my daughter is pretty flat one way but not easily or over split and not flat the other side. Her box is not completely open and she is through to final auditions the splits was only one short part of the audition she said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splits are not needed for correct ballet technique. Really.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

 
my daughter is pretty flat one way but not easily or over split and not flat the other side. Her box is not completely open and she is through to final auditions the splits was only one short part of the audition she said. 

Wow congratulations to your daughter 😊 and thankyou that's really good to know x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Splits are not needed for correct ballet technique. Really.

Oh that's good! She's got one side completely flat, the other nearly and box isn't too bad but not completely down...don't want her stressing over it as she dances beautifully (I'm biased haha) , rather she be happy with that 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember for DS at WL they had them improvise an under the sea dance. Pretending to be fish to see how they interpreted the music and story. They also took shoes off and looked at their feet, points and arches. Seem to remember him saying they tickled their feet, to make them relax and giggle. He said it was a fun experience. Lots of luck! 👍👍👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Another question... 😊 does everyone who applies to Elmhurst preliminarys get an audition? Same as RBS? Or do Elmhurst invite after seeing photos?

Yep everyone who wants to audition for prelims gets an audition 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...