Isabella

Polka step ballet

20 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

If you tried to follow every piece of advice you would go crazy! I remember one particular national dance that my DD did for a while in her later teens which became a bit of a joke because it seemed that every time she did it the adjudicator would directly contradict the one before. She was told it was too fast, then too slow. She was lifting her legs too far, then not far enough. It was a dance from a hot country, so she was putting too much energy into it, it should be more languid. No, it was from a country where the people are very exuberant so it needed to be livelier....you get the picture! 🤣 The amusing thing was, that as it was from her grandmother's home region she had done a lot of research and choreographed it herself and we knew it was technically very accurate. There was just one step in it that was not completely authentic and none of the adjudicators picked up on that. In fact if I recall rightly she had a few positive comments about that part!  But basically, she just focused on doing it the way she knew was right, not changing it every time an adjudicator was critical. 

this is so true, my girls have a very technically difficult and accurate flamenco dance choreographed by a real expert yet some adjudicators have told us it is completely wrong....

That must be very frustrating Mrs Brown but I hope some other adjudicators appreciate your girls' dance. I love watching Flamenco, it is so dramatic and beautiful. I guess no adjudicator can be an expert on everything, especially with so many styles of dance to understand in National sections. I actually always have far more respect for those who say " this isn't really my sphere of expertise but..." than those who make bold pronouncements when they clearly don't know the style well. It certainly can be upsetting, especially for younger children when they have tried so very hard and get poor feedback. But I do think there is a lot to be gained even from negative experiences and my DD got very good at picking out what was useful to her and ignoring what wasn't. We actually had a lot of laughs over the conflicting opinions on some of her dances, and as long as she was happy with her performance then so was I.

Adjudication looks like a really tough job. I used to find it hard going just to sit through some of the long sections when my DD was competing, especially senior lyrical modern sections with 40 angst ridden teens, or character sections where everyone died 🤣. I can't imagine having to concentrate and try to give some kind of meaningful feedback to every dancer over a whole week! And music festival adjudicators are even more amazing. My son gets comments like " You just held the second semi quaver in bar 82 a fraction too long" and I'm thinking "Whaaat! I know you have the music in front of you but how on earth can you spot that level of detail?!" So whilst I've done my fair share of grumbling over the years, I do really have a lot of respect for adjudicators and most of them do a brilliant job and give a lot to our young people. 

• Like 1

I completely agree Pups_mum. All they have to do is say "actually I am not that familiar with this style" or even just "they were all good but I picked the ones I enjoyed watching most and avoid technicalities if they aren't sure. But they definitely shouldn't make them up! 

I would fall asleep if I had to do it. I am more than happy to watch some festivals and dance school shows etc but the seat are usually uncomfortable and it is always dark and stuffy and I would just get so bored. I know exactly what you mean about some of the depressing dances.... When my daughter announced she wanted to do a lyrical dance I was very clear that was only if it was happy!!!!

Gosh the music ones must be really on the ball!