ROH booking 19/20 period 4

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Booking went pretty smoothly this morning (particularly as we’re on a regional train travelling through the Italian mountains and the wifi isn’t working). As suspected, not a huge number of tickets available ATM for the Heritage bill but we got something for all the dates we wanted.

Did you have prior knowledge re casting for the NBC's Sleeping Beauty or were you having to book blind? I had been hoping that the casting would be listed on the website by now ie.  before the first tranche of booking opened.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Did you have prior knowledge re casting for the NBC's Sleeping Beauty or were you having to book blind? I had been hoping that the casting would be listed on the website by now ie.  before the first tranche of booking opened.

I didn’t book for Seeping Beauty so didn’t look, but didn’t receive any information separately to what’s online or in the magazine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I didn’t book for Seeping Beauty so didn’t look, but didn’t receive any information separately to what’s online or in the magazine.

Thank you. I am in two minds about booking but may be swayed by the casting. I'll just have to wait!

3 hours ago, David said:

Just to let you know, NBOC typically doesn't announce casting till 3 weeks before. I don't know if this will be any different because they are performing at the ROH.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to ROH booking 19/20 period 4
  • 3 weeks later...

There were only a very few tickets left this morning for the Heritage programme in the Linbury and they were right round the side upstairs where I know from bitter experience that the view is terrible, so I didn't buy them. I wonder why could more evenings not have been scheduled for this programme which was likely to be in high demand? I will keep trying to pick up a ticket (if it goes ahead, of course!), but it's very disappointing.

Also, I tried to book in the Amphi for the Tombeaux triple bill on Sat 13th June at 12 noon, but there were only a few slips seats left. Surely the whole Amphi can't have been booked out yet? It's not shown as a schools' performance or anything. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There were only a very few tickets left this morning for the Heritage programme in the Linbury and they were right round the side upstairs where I know from bitter experience that the view is terrible, so I didn't buy them. I wonder why could more evenings not have been scheduled for this programme which was likely to be in high demand? I will keep trying to pick up a ticket (if it goes ahead, of course!), but it's very disappointing.

Also, I tried to book in the Amphi for the Tombeaux triple bill on Sat 13th June at 12 noon, but there were only a few slips seats left. Surely the whole Amphi can't have been booked out yet? It's not shown as a schools' performance or anything. Am I missing something?

I've just checked - that's very strange isn't it? I should have looked properly and booked for 12 noon performance rather than the evening of the 6th but too late now!

I tried this morning to book seats in the amphitheatre for the mixed bill on Sat 13th June only to find no seats on offer.  I discovered that this was now listed as a welcome performance, though there were no indications of this in the magazine or online.  I know it is important to encourage new visitors, but to do this for the only matinee for that programme is very disappointing.

There have been a lack of matinees this season -  especially for mixed bills (particularly in the spring season and winter) - so it is annoying for it to happen again.  For those of us who live outside London, evening performances can be difficult.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Apart from the slips, the entire amphitheatre has been unavailable for all levels of Friends (including Premium Friends).  A friend of mine called the Box Office and was told that the amphitheatre was "invitation only" for that particular performance.

Edited to thank Margaret for that clarification (we were posting at the same time).

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Margaret said:

I tried this morning to book seats in the amphitheatre for the mixed bill on Sat 13th June only to find no seats on offer.  I discovered that this was now listed as a welcome performance, though there were no indications of this in the magazine or online.  I know it is important to encourage new visitors, but to do this for the only matinee for that programme is very disappointing.

Why on earth don't they show that online then? (Even if they hadn't decided this when the magazine went out, it should show it now.) It just says 100+ tickets available with no other indication. And isn't this also the company's last performance of the season? That was why I wanted to go to it. If I'd known it wasn't available, I would have made different decisions about which dates to book for this bill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Margaret said:

I tried this morning to book seats in the amphitheatre for the mixed bill on Sat 13th June only to find no seats on offer.  I discovered that this was now listed as a welcome performance, though there were no indications of this in the magazine or online. 

What is a "welcome performance"? Sounds very Orwellian if it means that we regular ballet fans are ... not welcome.

Seriously though, could someone explain what that means to me? I was planning to bring a group to that performance (although everything's on hold right now because of COVID)

8 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

What is a "welcome performance"? Sounds very Orwellian if it means that we regular ballet fans are ... not welcome.

Seriously though, could someone explain what that means to me? I was planning to bring a group to that performance (although everything's on hold right now because of COVID)

https://www.roh.org.uk/welcome-performances/what-is-a-welcome-performance

https://www.roh.org.uk/welcome-performances

Edited: The first link give general information on welcome performances.  The second link is to a page which provides yet another link.  This leads to guidance on how to apply for the welcome performances. NB: They are only for people who've never been to the Royal Opera House.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

At least Young ROH is a bit more explicit, with dates of performances in the second link, including the Triple Bill 9 June:

https://www.roh.org.uk/for/rohstudents

https://www.roh.org.uk/for/rohstudents/booking-your-tickets

But it does seem odd that there is no explanation of why Amphitheatre tickets are not on sale when accessing the booking page for 9 June and even odder for 13 June.

• Like 1

I have received an apology from the ROH Customer Services about using the only matinee for the mixed bill for a Welcome performance.  They said they would pass my comments on to the Welcome Team, who  have said they would take what I said into account when next planning events to avoid this happening again.

We will have to wait and see!

• Like 4

If you want tickets for the welcome performance check back nearer the time. For the swan lake one there were certainly many people there who would not have booked through the welcome offer. I expect there could be many tickets released as the triple bill may not be that appealing for new  families. They choose some odd performances, the first one they sent me was an opera recommended for children over 12 due to adult themes- not ideal for an offer aimed at families!