Accepting a sixth form place early

Klaris

Hi everyone,

With the sixth form audition season now beginning I just wondered if anyone has any advice/experience about accepting an early offer of a sixth form place when other auditions at different schools are still to be attended - perhaps months later.

Is an offer binding when accepted, and what about any deposit to be paid? What might happen if the offer was accepted but the place later declined?

Any info would be really helpful!

Feel free to pm if that's preferred.

Some years ago we accepted a place at Laine Theatre Arts early on in the audition process and paid the £75 deposit. The ballet school offers came much later in the year so we decided to have the security of at least one place having burnt our bridges with her local school by not applying for 6th form. We lost the £75 but looked on it as a donation to their funds.

• Like 4

If it is a school where there is a later audition for funding/scholarships, then usually you can accept the place paying the registration fee (which you might lose if you don't take up the place), but legitimately say that you will not pay the full deposit - often several hundred pounds - as you do not know if you can take up the place until you have funding secured.

• Like 3

If it is a school where there is a later audition for funding/scholarships, then usually you can accept the place paying the registration fee (which you might lose if you don't take up the place), but legitimately say that you will not pay the full deposit - often several hundred pounds - as you do not know if you can take up the place until you have funding secured.

Thats exactly what I did. In some cases I managed to avoid the registration fee as well but was prepared to pay and then lose it if necessary to ensure a place. The schools are very aware that many students are dependant on securing funds wherever they may come from. The key is open communication. But I certainly wouldn't pay a full deposit until absolutely certain that that was th right place!
  • Like 1

The same thing happened to us, said yes to one school and then Laines came along, told the other school we no longer wanted the place or dada and accepted laines again with the dada. We paid the deposit and also deposit for the house (600 pounds in all). Then along came the one she wanted so then had to turn down Laines. It does make you feel bad about accepting a place and then turning it away but when auditioning you dont know how many offers you may get and sometimes funding aswell. As was mentioned earlier, schools understand that this happens what they expect if for you to let them know as soon as possible. Good luck Klaris with all the auditions and I hope your child is sucessful.

• Like 3