Are Corrales and Hayward the only two dancers affected? I checked my email box and cannot find other information.

I am going to bring someone to RoH for tomorrow Swan Lake opening night and she was looking forward to see Vadim&Nela pair. I noticed that Vadim just returned from Japan a week ago, wonder if he is affected? If so probably I shall let her know in advance to avoid big disappointment.

Thanks!

Corrales posted this message this afternoon on his IG feed:

Unfortunately due to new health guidelines set by The Royal Ballet School I am unable to perform in The Cellist tonight alongside the White Lodge students also performing in the piece. I would like to reiterate that I am still 100% well and healthy and have been back at work this week rehearsing for our upcoming productions of Swan Lake, Prodigal Son and Live Fire Exercise

Presumably if there weren't any students from White Lodge performing, he would be fine to perform?

This is really tough for Cesar.

The Royal Ballet School is, I understand from contact with them in another context, following guidance from the boarding schools association of which they are a member. They have to be cautious.

• Like 3

As someone seeing it tonight, I would have much preferred they cut the brief appearances by the children so Corrales could appear!

• Like 2

I very much enjoyed tonight and thought Beatriz Stix-Brunel and Calvin Richardson excellent. As Cathy Marston has clearly devised the. ballet with young du Pre sisters at the outset and a returning young Jackie at the end, I’m afraid I can’t see how their roles could simply be cut to allow for Cesar Corrales to perform. Tough on him I agree but I thought the final performance of The Cellist this run was astonishing and fully deserved the standing ovation, pretty much across the stalls when Hetty Snell came on stage and from what I hear in the Stalls Circle as well.

Good to see Dances at a Gathering with a different cast and thought Anna Rose O’Sullivan  particularly good, making the most of her Blue role.  This really is a fabulous ballet and has made for an extraordinary double bill which I know wasn’t planned but I will remember with great affection.

• Like 8

Enjoyed this evening, although DAAG slightly less and Cellist slightly more! DAAG was less 'classical' than the first cast -more humour, and lovely performances particularly from the women. Sambe's Brown boy very different to Campbell; he doesn't have the same lines as Campbell,or the same quality of stillness, but I loved his apparent enjoyment of the role. James Hay, as always, good to see. I still have my reservations about The Cellist, but felt that, although this was only the second performance for this cast that it had settled,somewhat. If anything, I like Stix-Brunell more than Lauren Cuthbertson, but it's a very close call. Calvin Richardson good, maybe Sambe slightly more bendy but little in it. At the end there was just about the largest standing ovation I've seen when Hetty Snell came on stage - as another poster,has commented it's a strange phenomenon!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gargouillade said:

Was I hallucinating, or did a dog bark in the amphi tonight during The Cellist?

If you were hallucinating, then so was I!

• Like 2

Maybe someone has a dog bark as a ringtone?

• Like 2

Yes I heard it too but thought I had a moment of madness so was too embarrassed to mention it!  I think Alison is probably right.  

• Like 3

Are ‘working’ dogs for example for  the blind allowed into the ROH?

Ive never seen one there before but could explain it. 
I didn’t hear it though as was in Balcony. 
Not going to say a lot this time but enjoyed both Ballets again.

I preferred first cast for Dances on the whole though all tonight’s were good performances ..I thought James Hay looked particularly good in his pieces and Magri very good though doesn’t abandon herself to the Dance as much as Hayward in this role. 
The cellist was excellent and I liked even more as a piece this time and got a very good reception from the audience.

Although Calvin Richardson was good I did prefer Sambe in the role as he made me feel the sadness of his predicament much  more and has a larger stage presence which consistently drew me in. Stix Brunell was extremely good and liked her equally in the role and  maybe got more pathos in the very final scenes and dances. 
I did miss not seeing Corrales as have a feeling he would have been really good as Barenboim and perhaps got more edge into the character so sorry for him not to be able to perform in this but we do need to take very good care of the young White Lodge dancers especially as Emma Lucano could be a little star in the making already a very expressive dancer! 

Ive got a double dose of Corrales in April so will look forward to that! 

• Like 3

I enjoyed DAAG tonight and liked how the humour was brought out.  Laura Morera’s pointe shoes are hard to fill but Tierney Heap made a very good go of Green Girl.  It’s great to see her back.  Sarah Lamb was elegant, and Mayara Magri and Anna-Rose O’Sullivan sparkled.  A bravura Brown Boy from Marcelino Sambe.  I really liked his performance of the role.  James Hay was his usual beautifully elegant self. 

I enjoyed The Cellist much more than on opening night.  This is largely due to the many posts on here explaining a lot of what was going on , so many thanks to all of you.  However, it was Beatriz Stix-Brunell’s incredibly moving performance that clinched it for me. She got to me more than Lauren Cuthbertson did.  I can’t put it into words;  it’s just how it  made me feel.  I also thought there was much better chemistry with Matthew Ball than there was between him and Cuthbertson.  Huge kudos to Matthew for dancing every performance in the run, unexpectedly and half of them with a partner with whom he hadn’t rehearsed. Such professionalism, and tonight he danced beautifully.  Calvin Richardson was very good but didn’t make as much of an emotional impact on me as Sambe did. 

I must say I wouldn’t go out of my way to see this ballet again, but I wouldn’t avoid it either.  I do hope that Stix-Brunell is given some more high-profile roles next season. She can certainly deliver them. 

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, alison said:

Maybe someone has a dog bark as a ringtone?

It sounded quite real and distinct! I also saw someone with a dog in the foyer (and it didn't look like a 'working' dog) so I am wondering...

(The repeated text alerts/ringtones during tonight's performance is perhaps best left for the audience behaviour thread)

• Like 1

‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Amphitheatre’....sounds like a good book and play 🤔

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I do hope that Stix-Brunell is given some more high-profile roles next season. She can certainly deliver them.

Agreed - a really convincing performance last night and I thought she was very impressive in Raven Girl some time ago now.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Agreed - a really convincing performance last night and I thought she was very impressive in Raven Girl some time ago now.

Beatrix was also really excellent as The Girl in Two Pigeons. I too hope she will have more high profile roles in the future. 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Beatrix was also really excellent as The Girl in Two Pigeons. I too hope she will have more high profile roles in the future. 

And Juliet, of course 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

As someone seeing it tonight, I would have much preferred they cut the brief appearances by the children so Corrales could appear!

That would not have been possible if The Cellist and Her Sister as children were from the RBS. It would have been quite a different matter if the children had simply been walking on.

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

Good to see Dances at a Gathering with a different cast and thought Anna Rose O’Sullivan  particularly good, making the most of her Blue role.  This really is a fabulous ballet and has made for an extraordinary double bill which I know wasn’t planned but I will remember with great affection.

Sorry, I am a bit confused.  Are you saying this wasn't the original double bill planned by the ROH?  If so, what was programmed originally?  Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.

Or were you saying that you weren't originally planning to go, and went at the last minute?

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

Sorry, I am a bit confused.  Are you saying this wasn't the original double bill planned by the ROH?  If so, what was programmed originally?  Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.

Or were you saying that you weren't originally planning to go, and went at the last minute?

The Cellist was originally going to be performed with a new Liam Scarlett piece which was cancelled.

• Like 3

Just now, AnneMarriott said:

The Cellist was originally going to be performed with a new Liam Scarlett piece which was cancelled.

Oh, ok, thanks Anne.  I travel so much, I don't always keep up to date with the news.

Well, Scarlett's loss was my gain.  I loved DAAG and I hope they put it on again soon.  

• Like 7

Prompted, unfortunately, by Scheherezade's thread on humour elsewhere, I am now going to ruin people's recollections of Dances at a Gathering by asking whether I was the only one to think "Monty Python" at a few moments?

Sorry :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Prompted, unfortunately, by Scheherezade's thread on humour elsewhere, I am now going to ruin people's recollections of Dances at a Gathering by asking whether I was the only one to think "Monty Python" at a few moments?

It does make me think of The Trocks in "Yes, Virginia, Another Piano Ballet" :)

A few words in support of Robert Clark and the applause given to soloists and the ROH orchestra if I may.

Robert Clark will have been practising with both casts for Dances at a Gathering, shaping the music to match individual dancers, and applause at the curtain call I think is a reflection of the intimate working and rehearsals that lay the foundations for a memorable performance. The solo pianist has the task of accompanying the dancers and ensuring safe delivery of the entire performance. He is not giving a recital where he is centre stage but supporting the dancers in their performance of the choreography. For my part I think he more than accomplished his role and can readily accept that at times there are blemishes.

In The Cellist, we’ve been fortunate to hear Hetty Snell’s solo cello which has made a remarkable impression on audiences in supporting Cathy Marston’s realisation of Jacqueline du Pre’s story in dance. We see young Jackie/Jackie on stage who demand our attention but we hear something of her phenomenal talent and energy from Hetty Snell and the supporting orchestra. Fabulous to see bouquets in appreciation.

With the audience focusing on what’s presented on stage, perhaps it’s only after the event that there’s a recognition of the telling contributions of others who support the dancers’ performance and hence in applauding soloists/conductor/orchestra, we’re showing an appreciation of the talents and efforts made by those not on stage.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, alison said:

I hope you don't mean the Fish Slapping Dance ...

• Like 1

Ministry of Silly Walks?

Terry Jones as the naked piano player? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A giant foot coming down from above?

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Terry Jones as the naked piano player? 

and now for something completely different...

23 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

I hope you don't mean the Fish Slapping Dance ...

that's the fella!

• Like 1