3 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

JNC found " there's always something in the corner of your eye" as an unwelcome distraction during The Cellist.  Whereas, on the contrary, I have often found that what's happening to the side or the rear helps to fill out the narrative in Cathy's work.  What Beatrice is doing, or how she is reacting to the discoveries she makes in her mother's diaries and being danced at centre stage, struck me as vital to the story in Victoria.  And I seem unable to forget the placing of the Mother in Witch Hunt, so often moving to the rear and away from the action as she (for me at least) makes the point that she is in an empty marriage, something that leads to her husband's infidelity on which the story turns, as here:

Yes, but isn't there a difference between the effect major characters have and the effect the "chorus" has?

Even on the big screen, I still found it a little busy at times.  I'll see how I feel after tomorrow - always assuming I do manage to get hold of a reasonably close-up ticket.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so disappointed that he's not dancing. 

But to be honest ....unless of course he is now actually unwell or injured ....if Hayward has been rehearsing at Covent Garden it does seem a bit over the top to stop him performing if they have been around the other dancers anyway!! 

What a shame for him too. 

Is there another performance with this cast before it finishes? 

If he's 'in 14 day quarantine" that should be over in a couple of days or so. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I'm sorry - and I have tried - but I don't understand the adulation which seems to surround Dances at a Gathering. I was in difficulty at its last RB showing and I am no more captivated this time around.

[I am now running for cover!!!!!]

Please don't! It's one of my favourite ballets, but we all have our blind spots - it's what makes this forum so interesting, and no one was rude to me when I suggested that I'd happily have ditched the Cellist and seen DAAG twice!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm so disappointed that he's not dancing. 

But to be honest ....unless of course he is now actually unwell or injured ....if Hayward has been rehearsing at Covent Garden it does seem a bit over the top to stop him performing if they have been around the other dancers anyway!! 

What a shame for him too. 

Is there another performance with this cast before it finishes? 

If he's 'in 14 day quarantine" that should be over in a couple of days or so. 

Francesca Hayward has posted on her Instagram that she and Corrales were doing a stage call of Swan Lake today. It is rather confusing.

And no, I see that tomorrow is the last performance of The Cellist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I'm sorry - and I have tried - but I don't understand the adulation which seems to surround Dances at a Gathering. I was in difficulty at its last RB showing and I am no more captivated this time around.

[I am now running for cover!!!!!]

Don't worry - there are at least two (or more accurately one and a half) others ...

I've just booked to see him in Prodigal Son as a consolation!! I wasn't sure whether to book this or not but this has made up my mind! 

Now let's hope that by April we are not in a situation where all theatres are closed....will be just my luck!! 

In answer to Capybara ... honestly I have no idea why I love Dances at a Gathering! You can try and analyse the whys and wherefores of things as much as possible but sometimes you just have to accept that some things are a mystery and you can't really explain them.

It may be worth remembering that quite a lot of people absolutely hate ballet altogether!! 

It would be the last thing on their list of cultural things to do. I can't explain that either!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prs59 said:

Matthew Ball replaces Cesar Corrales in The Cellist on Wednesday 4th March 

I am no expert on coronavirus and how it transmits and I completely understand ROH management would like to be cautious. 

However, like @LinMM and @bridiem have noted I am confused by the fact that Hayward was unable to dance in DAAG last night, and Corrales both last week and tomorrow despite the fact that they are in the ROH building rehearsing for Swan Lake and getting costume fittings/stage calls. (Going off their respective instagrams.) 

Doesn't this seem a little counterintuitive? Would completely have respected the 'better to be safe than sorry' decision if they were 'self isolating' at home, but to have them in the building but not able to dance on main stage is a bit frustrating and confusing to me. I understand it may be because on the main stage they would have close contact with other dancers which they may currently be avoiding, but surely there's still a similar if not equal risk of cross contamination/spreading potential illnesses if they're in the building interacting with costume staff (who presumably are also interacting with other staff and dancers) and touching objects in the building? 

Perhaps there is something I am unaware of about how coronavirus spreads but I feel for me it was all or nothing and if they are in ROH why not let them dance their performances - especially poor Corrales who now will not be able to dance the role at all! 

(sorry if this belongs in the wrong thread)

Edited by JNC

Corrales's withdrawal must be disappointing for him but also for those of us who  were fortunate to see him and Beatriz Stix Brunell rehearse in the Floral Hall.

However, he is clearly back at work and, given that he and Hayward had a stage call for Swan Lake today (see Instagram), it could be that a decision was made for him to concentrate on Siegfried. He and Hayward are both making debuts and, after all, he missed a full week of rehearsal.

I know that I (too) am speculating here but perhaps it's best to steer away from coronavirus- based theories.

• Like 4

Are Corrales and Hayward the only two dancers affected? I checked my email box and cannot find other information.

I am going to bring someone to RoH for tomorrow Swan Lake opening night and she was looking forward to see Vadim&Nela pair. I noticed that Vadim just returned from Japan a week ago, wonder if he is affected? If so probably I shall let her know in advance to avoid big disappointment.

Thanks!

Corrales posted this message this afternoon on his IG feed:

Unfortunately due to new health guidelines set by The Royal Ballet School I am unable to perform in The Cellist tonight alongside the White Lodge students also performing in the piece. I would like to reiterate that I am still 100% well and healthy and have been back at work this week rehearsing for our upcoming productions of Swan Lake, Prodigal Son and Live Fire Exercise

Presumably if there weren't any students from White Lodge performing, he would be fine to perform?

This is really tough for Cesar.

The Royal Ballet School is, I understand from contact with them in another context, following guidance from the boarding schools association of which they are a member. They have to be cautious.

• Like 3

I very much enjoyed tonight and thought Beatriz Stix-Brunel and Calvin Richardson excellent. As Cathy Marston has clearly devised the. ballet with young du Pre sisters at the outset and a returning young Jackie at the end, I’m afraid I can’t see how their roles could simply be cut to allow for Cesar Corrales to perform. Tough on him I agree but I thought the final performance of The Cellist this run was astonishing and fully deserved the standing ovation, pretty much across the stalls when Hetty Snell came on stage and from what I hear in the Stalls Circle as well.

Good to see Dances at a Gathering with a different cast and thought Anna Rose O’Sullivan  particularly good, making the most of her Blue role.  This really is a fabulous ballet and has made for an extraordinary double bill which I know wasn’t planned but I will remember with great affection.

• Like 8

Enjoyed this evening, although DAAG slightly less and Cellist slightly more! DAAG was less 'classical' than the first cast -more humour, and lovely performances particularly from the women. Sambe's Brown boy very different to Campbell; he doesn't have the same lines as Campbell,or the same quality of stillness, but I loved his apparent enjoyment of the role. James Hay, as always, good to see. I still have my reservations about The Cellist, but felt that, although this was only the second performance for this cast that it had settled,somewhat. If anything, I like Stix-Brunell more than Lauren Cuthbertson, but it's a very close call. Calvin Richardson good, maybe Sambe slightly more bendy but little in it. At the end there was just about the largest standing ovation I've seen when Hetty Snell came on stage - as another poster,has commented it's a strange phenomenon!

• Like 4

Are ‘working’ dogs for example for  the blind allowed into the ROH?

Ive never seen one there before but could explain it. 
I didn’t hear it though as was in Balcony. 
Not going to say a lot this time but enjoyed both Ballets again.

I preferred first cast for Dances on the whole though all tonight’s were good performances ..I thought James Hay looked particularly good in his pieces and Magri very good though doesn’t abandon herself to the Dance as much as Hayward in this role. 
The cellist was excellent and I liked even more as a piece this time and got a very good reception from the audience.

Although Calvin Richardson was good I did prefer Sambe in the role as he made me feel the sadness of his predicament much  more and has a larger stage presence which consistently drew me in. Stix Brunell was extremely good and liked her equally in the role and  maybe got more pathos in the very final scenes and dances. 
I did miss not seeing Corrales as have a feeling he would have been really good as Barenboim and perhaps got more edge into the character so sorry for him not to be able to perform in this but we do need to take very good care of the young White Lodge dancers especially as Emma Lucano could be a little star in the making already a very expressive dancer! 

Ive got a double dose of Corrales in April so will look forward to that! 

• Like 3

I enjoyed DAAG tonight and liked how the humour was brought out.  Laura Morera’s pointe shoes are hard to fill but Tierney Heap made a very good go of Green Girl.  It’s great to see her back.  Sarah Lamb was elegant, and Mayara Magri and Anna-Rose O’Sullivan sparkled.  A bravura Brown Boy from Marcelino Sambe.  I really liked his performance of the role.  James Hay was his usual beautifully elegant self. 

I enjoyed The Cellist much more than on opening night.  This is largely due to the many posts on here explaining a lot of what was going on , so many thanks to all of you.  However, it was Beatriz Stix-Brunell’s incredibly moving performance that clinched it for me. She got to me more than Lauren Cuthbertson did.  I can’t put it into words;  it’s just how it  made me feel.  I also thought there was much better chemistry with Matthew Ball than there was between him and Cuthbertson.  Huge kudos to Matthew for dancing every performance in the run, unexpectedly and half of them with a partner with whom he hadn’t rehearsed. Such professionalism, and tonight he danced beautifully.  Calvin Richardson was very good but didn’t make as much of an emotional impact on me as Sambe did. 

I must say I wouldn’t go out of my way to see this ballet again, but I wouldn’t avoid it either.  I do hope that Stix-Brunell is given some more high-profile roles next season. She can certainly deliver them. 

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, alison said:

Maybe someone has a dog bark as a ringtone?

It sounded quite real and distinct! I also saw someone with a dog in the foyer (and it didn't look like a 'working' dog) so I am wondering...

(The repeated text alerts/ringtones during tonight's performance is perhaps best left for the audience behaviour thread)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I do hope that Stix-Brunell is given some more high-profile roles next season. She can certainly deliver them.

Agreed - a really convincing performance last night and I thought she was very impressive in Raven Girl some time ago now.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Agreed - a really convincing performance last night and I thought she was very impressive in Raven Girl some time ago now.

Beatrix was also really excellent as The Girl in Two Pigeons. I too hope she will have more high profile roles in the future. 

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Beatrix was also really excellent as The Girl in Two Pigeons. I too hope she will have more high profile roles in the future. 

And Juliet, of course 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

As someone seeing it tonight, I would have much preferred they cut the brief appearances by the children so Corrales could appear!

That would not have been possible if The Cellist and Her Sister as children were from the RBS. It would have been quite a different matter if the children had simply been walking on.

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

Good to see Dances at a Gathering with a different cast and thought Anna Rose O’Sullivan  particularly good, making the most of her Blue role.  This really is a fabulous ballet and has made for an extraordinary double bill which I know wasn’t planned but I will remember with great affection.

Sorry, I am a bit confused.  Are you saying this wasn't the original double bill planned by the ROH?  If so, what was programmed originally?  Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.

Or were you saying that you weren't originally planning to go, and went at the last minute?

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

Sorry, I am a bit confused.  Are you saying this wasn't the original double bill planned by the ROH?  If so, what was programmed originally?  Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.

Or were you saying that you weren't originally planning to go, and went at the last minute?

The Cellist was originally going to be performed with a new Liam Scarlett piece which was cancelled.

• Like 3

Just now, AnneMarriott said:

The Cellist was originally going to be performed with a new Liam Scarlett piece which was cancelled.

Oh, ok, thanks Anne.  I travel so much, I don't always keep up to date with the news.

Well, Scarlett's loss was my gain.  I loved DAAG and I hope they put it on again soon.  

• Like 6

Prompted, unfortunately, by Scheherezade's thread on humour elsewhere, I am now going to ruin people's recollections of Dances at a Gathering by asking whether I was the only one to think "Monty Python" at a few moments?

Sorry :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Prompted, unfortunately, by Scheherezade's thread on humour elsewhere, I am now going to ruin people's recollections of Dances at a Gathering by asking whether I was the only one to think "Monty Python" at a few moments?

Sorry :( 

It does make me think of The Trocks in "Yes, Virginia, Another Piano Ballet" :)

A few words in support of Robert Clark and the applause given to soloists and the ROH orchestra if I may.

Robert Clark will have been practising with both casts for Dances at a Gathering, shaping the music to match individual dancers, and applause at the curtain call I think is a reflection of the intimate working and rehearsals that lay the foundations for a memorable performance. The solo pianist has the task of accompanying the dancers and ensuring safe delivery of the entire performance. He is not giving a recital where he is centre stage but supporting the dancers in their performance of the choreography. For my part I think he more than accomplished his role and can readily accept that at times there are blemishes.

In The Cellist, we’ve been fortunate to hear Hetty Snell’s solo cello which has made a remarkable impression on audiences in supporting Cathy Marston’s realisation of Jacqueline du Pre’s story in dance. We see young Jackie/Jackie on stage who demand our attention but we hear something of her phenomenal talent and energy from Hetty Snell and the supporting orchestra. Fabulous to see bouquets in appreciation.

With the audience focusing on what’s presented on stage, perhaps it’s only after the event that there’s a recognition of the telling contributions of others who support the dancers’ performance and hence in applauding soloists/conductor/orchestra, we’re showing an appreciation of the talents and efforts made by those not on stage.

• Like 16