• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

I thought that Francesca Hayward was particularly lovely!  But of course Naghdi, Nuñez and Kaneko were too.

I do think Laura Morera was wonderful as Green and wouldn’t want to miss her from your list of women dancers. It’s a complex role where at times she seems to be cold shouldered by potential partners but she shrugs off any slight and dances with such elan. Her timing is exquisite and her expression shows what a fabulous character dancer she is.

• Like 12

I just can’t single out any dancer in this group they were all just star performers and so musical. 
Still waiting for breakdown services 😱 

Just watched last nights episode of Vera, read a few more chapters of The Playground Murders by Lesley Thompson and was thinking of more ballet this time ENB but they’ve phoned and are on their way....finally...that’s now six hours! A glorious day here in Weymouth wasted 😩
Next time I think I will do the phoning as perhaps being a stranded woman they might have given the situation more priority 🙄 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I do think Laura Morera was wonderful as Green and wouldn’t want to miss her from your list of women dancers. It’s a complex role where at times she seems to be cold shouldered by potential partners but she shrugs off any slight and dances with such elan. Her timing is exquisite and her expression shows what a fabulous character dancer she is.

JohnS - you are right of course and she was excellent.  No defence for leaving her out, when I mentioned the other women.  I don't think I mentionned the men by name either and they were all superb!  :)

• Like 3

I loved it -  enjoyed it even more than when I saw it live with The Cellist. I agree all the dancers were superb - and there was such a team spirit about the performance. (William Bracewell did catch my eye, though, perhaps because I haven't seen him in much else except Romeo and Juliet beyond words). Yes, it was poignant - I felt both uplifted and moved by the end. I am so pleased that I will be able to watch it again, probably more than once,  in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

While everyone else has been watching Back on Stage, I've been catching up with DAAG before it disappears in a few days' time.  This afternoon, I particularly enjoyed Laura Morera's performances, as John mentions above.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, alison said:

While everyone else has been watching Back on Stage, I've been catching up with DAAG before it disappears in a few days' time.  This afternoon, I particularly enjoyed Laura Morera's performances, as John mentions above.

The streaming gremlins has done their worst when I tried to watch Back in Stage again, but kindly allowed me to watch DAAG, which was no hardship.I really don't know what it is about that ballet - there just seems to be honesty about being human, if that makes sense. It's impeccably danced, of course, and I get the impression that the dancers enjoyed dancing it. I've really had my £3 from watching it!

Edited by ninamargaret
pressed wrong button before finishing
  • Like 4

Yes, I too have really enjoyed revisiting DAAG which I preferred to The Cellist. Usually I tend to get a bit bored with ballets that have a succession of similar dances (I think Elite Syncopations is a bit too long) but I loved DAAG from the first time I saw it in the cinema. Especially love both Laura Moreras and Alex Campbells performance and wished in a way they'd reprised them for the concert. Anyway, DAAG is a great ballet and I'm looking forward to seeing it a few more times yet. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alison said:

I don't mind having an extra couple of days.  Might watch it again ... :)

from the ROH today on Twitter

Edited by oncnp

I think Dances at a Gathering eventually disappeared at some point yesterday late afternoon. I’d begun to wonderif there was another final evening’s viewing. I’ve been delighted to see it so often and it’s been such a welcome escape from Covid etc. A fabulous ballet and a wonderful performance from the Royal Ballet and so good that a DVD is to be released with The Cellist. All the dances have much to say and offer such a range of emotions but I think I’ve been most taken with the two of the Opus 34 waltzes Robbins uses: the A minor with Hayward, Kaneko and Nuñez, and Bracewell joining Hayward for  the PDD; and the A flat major with Hayward, Kaneko, Naghdi, Bonelli, Bracewell and Zucchetti. The intimate friendship evoked by the three women (sisters?) in the A minor is beautifully created. I take it that Hayward remembers or imagines Bracewell as Kaneko and Nunez are oblivious to his presence. And Hayward’s longing when Bracewell leaves is so telling, as is her gaze to where she last saw him just before the end and the three women exit. The A flat major is such a celebration of joie de vivre, danced with great elan, and Zucchetti an assured catcher, rock steady. Utterly joyous, unbridled frivolity and exuberance, bringing back memories of pre Covid times and no restrictions. I do hope it won’t be too long before we can all once again enjoy such performances in a full theatre. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I do hope it won’t be too long before we can all once again enjoy such performances in a full theatre. 

Regarding which, Alexander Campbell gently touching the stage floor at the end, whilst the other dancers look on, is guaranteed to bring a lump to my throat at present...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Regarding which, Alexander Campbell gently touching the stage floor at the end, whilst the other dancers look on, is guaranteed to bring a lump to my throat at present...

That moved me very much in the theatre and on screen too. From dust we come, to dust we shall return.

”Now of my threescore years and ten,

Nine lost months won’t come again,

And so, with longing, I implore,

Let me watch the dance once more.”

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed Dances at a Gathering and thought Laura Morera was simply splendid! She totally understood Robbins and the music.  I now want to see the Company do Glass Pieces. 

The Cellist, not so much.  I play the cello and couldn't get used to her cello being portrayed by a man.  It's hard to explain but my cello when I play it is an extension of myself.  I would have preferred her without the 'cello' and just her dancing to the Elgar Cello Concerto or even with a female dancer being the cello. Marcello Sambe did portray the cello very well but I just couldn't get into it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bravissima35 said:

I really enjoyed Dances at a Gathering ...

The Cellist, not so much.

You may find a second viewing of The Cellist more impressive without the surprise of a new ballet and knowing the male portrayal of the ‘cello. On first viewing I had some reservations (the family, the hectic bustle in places, parts of the score) but on second viewing these melted away and I’ve gleaned more and more from subsequent performances. I now look back on this double bill as one of the Royal Ballet’s triumphs. I’m sure there are other posters who also referred to the greater impact of further viewings. If you get the DVD for Dances at a Gathering, perhaps The Cellist will become a treasured bonus?

• Like 2