6 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I shall float the thought that perhaps there was too little plot in The Cellist to flesh out a full length, narrative ballet.

I ought to watch the streamed version before I firm this theory up, but I wonder whether she deals better with adaptations of short stories and novels than she does with fresh libretti. I liked Jane Eyre a lot and Snowblind and The Suit very well; but wasn't bowled over by Victoria or The Cellist.

(In case it's relevant to anyone other than me, all of these were seen in the theatre from the cheap seats - I have yet to see videos of any.)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

OK - let me also float cygnets, Big Swans, odd national dances, Shades, etc, etc.  Do these not also pad out stories involving a very few characters, and way beyond 65 minutes?   For the life of me, I don't see the narrative difference in such devices - style and structure of choreography is a different matter, on which legitimate differences in taste will apply.  

Those are the parts of classical ballet that I tend to find boring because they don't add anything to the plot. I'd happily watch an hour-long Swan Lake minus most of the swan action!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Those are the parts of classical ballet that I tend to find boring because they don't add anything to the plot. I'd happily watch an hour-long Swan Lake minus most of the swan action!

You're a brave person, Dawnstar!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Liked this not because I agree but because it's so refreshing to see this said aloud!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Liked this not because I agree but because it's so refreshing to see this said aloud!

For me as well one Swan Lake goes,a very y long way! I saw the new RB version, and that will do me for a few years. But I do like most of the bits without the swans!Will now sit back and wait for howls of anguish!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Well I wouldn't mind if I never saw Acts 1 and 3 again so maybe  there's a deal to  be done?

Maybe people could pair up & share a seat, so one person sees Acts 1 & 3 and the other sees Acts 2 & 4! Though I personally would want to see the parts of Acts 2 & 4 with Odette, Siegfried & Von Rothbart that advance the plot, just not the endless swan corps parts.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned the swans are essential to the plot; they're von Rothbart's other victims, they're princesses to Odette's queen, they express anguish, love, protection, pride, anger, fear, dignity, courage - depending on which part of the ballet they're in and what the music is saying at the time. They make the ballet more than just a personal tale of the prince and the Swan Queen but a story of mythic grandeur and spiritual redemption. Ditch the swans and I'd ditch the ballet. :o

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 9

I've always wanted to shoot the cygnets.  They interrupt the section including the lovely yearning pas de deux and some pretty nifty swan action.  I know they are popular from the affectionate little chuckles that greet the end of their dance but I can't understand what they are doing there - to me they just kill the mood.

• Like 2

Thank you bridiem. I thought one of the strengths of Liam Scarlett’s Swan Lake was his grip on the narrative throughout, culminating in the power of the released swans and their role in ensuring Von Rothbart’s demise and encouraging Siegfried to recover Odette’s body.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

I've always wanted to shoot the cygnets.  They interrupt the section including the lovely yearning pas de deux and some pretty nifty swan action.  I know they are popular from the affectionate little chuckles that greet the end of their dance but I can't understand what they are doing there - to me they just kill the mood.

I see this argument often here - but IMO the mood has already been broken by the applause after the pdd, so I don't really understand it.

6 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I see this argument often here - but IMO the mood has already been broken by the applause after the pdd, so I don't really understand it.

I know lots of people find applause after, for example, a pas de deux an irritating distraction.  I don't usually mind it because it is after all an expression of appreciation, although I do get hot under the collar if the dancers concerned indulge in a front-of-stage interlude of bowing and scraping.  The deliberate interjection of the cygnets doing their comical little routine is another matter altogether.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

The deliberate interjection of the cygnets doing their comical little routine is another matter altogether.

I guess the difference might be that I don't find it a comical routine, at least when the head bobbing is toned down.

I wonder whether its reception by the viewer is affected by its appearance in parodies, to which I possibly haven't been as exposed as some. (I also have no recollection of hearing chuckles after it, just pleased noises.)

• Like 3

On 03/06/2020 at 12:45, Scheherezade said:

.... I still feel that Ball was underused....

Not as underused as Anna Rose O'Sullivan, I thought the role would've been better for an Aud Jebsen dancer than a First Soloist!!😆

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I guess the difference might be that I don't find it a comical routine, at least when the head bobbing is toned down.

I wonder whether its reception by the viewer is affected by its appearance in parodies, to which I possibly haven't been as exposed as some. (I also have no recollection of hearing chuckles after it, just pleased noises.)

I take your point.  I have never been able to take the Dying Swan seriously after seeing the Trocks' version!  However I have always found the cygnets comical, and not in a good way.  The first time I saw their dance I was reminded in a weird way of Wilson and Keppel (without Betty).  It's not just the head waggling but the scampering steps contrasted with what looked like a set of po-faced expressions.  After that I'm afraid the cygnets were a lost cause.

• Like 2

Some years ago I attended the funeral of an elderly lady who had been Secretary of a local Ballet Association. Her family didn't know much about ballet, and wanted to honour her love of the art.  Unfortunately they chose the dance of the little swans to accompany the pall bearers carrying the coffin out of the church to the waiting hearse. I had a vision of a Monty Python moment where they all break into the petit jetés along the aisle!

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Some years ago I attended the funeral of an elderly lady who had been Secretary of a local Ballet Association. Her family didn't know much about ballet, and wanted to honour her love of the art.  Unfortunately they chose the dance of the little swans to accompany the pall bearers carrying the coffin out of the church to the waiting hearse. I had a vision of a Monty Python moment where they all break into the petit jetés along the aisle!

I always visualise Eric Morecambe in full Egyptian costume in The Intelligence Men when I hear this music. 

• Like 5

If The Cellist was a weak piece by Marston's normal standards, then I'm very excited by the prospect of seeing the others. While I felt it did sag a little at times, I thought it was terrific - particularly when the three of them danced together. I also loved the music.

• Like 4

Tomorrow 11 June is the last day to see The Cellist via the ROH’s website.

I thought it fabulous: and the more I see it, the more I find in it. One of the most moving performances I’ve seen at the ROH.

• Like 3

I have long wished I could see The Cellist and finally did at least get to see it via video this evening. Marston's literary/narrative approach to ballet is perhaps not what I most look for in new ballets, but I was very moved by the ballet and would be happy to see more of her choreography (though I fear it will be some time before I see any live ballet again). I had caught Snowblind, also via video, last week and on the whole found the Cellist the "bigger," more consistent accomplishment. Though in both ballets, I thought her ability to make emotional and formal complexity via a pas de trois stands out...

Perhaps it goes without saying, especially in this thread, but I will still go ahead and say say that in the broadcasts from the Royal Ballet that I have been able to catch during this strange time,  I have been extremely impressed by the quality of the entire company. I'm familiar enough with the Royal not to be surprised of course--but still feel super appreciative.

• Like 3

I finally caught up on The Cellist just before it drops off-line.

I absolutely loved this when I was fortunate enough to catch the second performance at ROH.  I've loved it again tonight on the small screen.  I thought it translated really well onto the small screen and it gave an even better opportunity to see the acting of the dancers close up.  How is it that Gary Avis comes on stage and fills it?  

For me, Cathy Marston has a way of sketching in a character with just a few moves and in this piece she brought the characters beautifully to life.  Marcelino Sambé and Matthew Ball were both fabulous in their roles but the piece belongs to Lauren Cuthbertson whose exquisitely moving performance brought me to tears again.

• Like 7

On 17/02/2020 at 23:41, Candleque said:

The Cellist really moved me. Was not prepared to like it as much as I did. 

The three principles were amazing as you’d expect. What an experience to bring this to life. One element in the ballet I really liked was the inclusion of Jacqueline as a young girl. Emma Lucano did a beautiful job. At the curtain call, Lauren Cuthbertson took her hand and brought her to the front for a special bow (Hashtag all the feels)

I hadn’t realised until today that Emma Lacona had appeared in Arthur Pita’s The Wind in the role of Little Sadie. A talent to watch?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Have just watched it and found I was suffering from such a mixture of emotions, partly the ballet,which I always find a combination of joy,fun,sadness. And then the realisation that normal life, let alone theatregoing, seems to be receding further away all the time. 

Yes - the section just before the end in particular took on a whole new meaning for me, with Alexander Campbell gently touching the stage of the ROH and all the dancers then scanning the auditorium questioningly, sadly, reflectively. Heartbreaking.

• Like 4

Did anyone see Dances at a Gathering this evening?   I thought it was beautiful!   I saw it some years ago by NYC ballet on a holiday in the States and enjoyed it very much then, but even though this was just on my computer, I think the Royal's production was the better interpretation.   Maybe it was because I could see their expressions close up, perhaps it was because it was such a wonderful escape from Corona lockdown, but I was entranced by it.  The dancers were outstanding!  Such a talented cast!  I thought that Francesca Hayward was particularly lovely!  But of course Naghdi, Nuñez and Kaneko were too.  Loved the guys as well of course - fantastic technique and quality.  The interaction betwen the dancers was very special and the fluidity and musicality of both choreography and dancing was exceptional.  I have bought access to the live stream of the Royal Ballet - Back on Stage performance on October 9th and can't wait.  It broke my heart when I read that the Opera House had had to close.  I do so hope that the performance will be able to go ahead.  This dreadful pandemic is making the world a sad, sad place......

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Dance*is*life said:

Did anyone see Dances at a Gathering this evening?   I thought it was beautiful!   I saw it some years ago by NYC ballet on a holiday in the States and enjoyed it very much then, but even though this was just on my computer, I think the Royal's production was the better interpretation.   Maybe it was because I could see their expressions close up, perhaps it was because it was such a wonderful escape from Corona lockdown, but I was entranced by it.  The dancers were outstanding!  Such a talented cast!  I thought that Francesca Hayward was particularly lovely!  But of course Naghdi, Nuñez and Kaneko were too.  Loved the guys as well of course - fantastic technique and quality.  The interaction betwen the dancers was very special and the fluidity and musicality of both choreography and dancing was exceptional.  I have bought access to the live stream of the Royal Ballet - Back on Stage performance on October 9th and can't wait.  It broke my heart when I read that the Opera House had had to close.  I do so hope that the performance will be able to go ahead.  This dreadful pandemic is making the world a sad, sad place......

Additional discussion over on the "Royal Opera House broadcasts parts of its back catalogue" thread 😃

We already had the comments for the streaming of the other half of this cinema bill, The Cellist, in this thread, so it seems to make sense to move the comments for the Dances At A Gathering stream into this one as well.  If there seem to be some continuity errors in the recent postings, it's because they've been moved in from several other threads!

• Like 2

Really wonderful to see Dances at a Gathering last night! My first time seeing this ballet properly, having missed it earlier in the year due to illness and only seeing some old YouTube clips from another company previously. This was so much better than I expected based on those other clips. A beautiful ballet and really wonderful performances.

It's all different of course, but to me at least this felt a bit like the excitement of the start of a new season. Even if that season will be, initially at least, made up of various types of streamed ballet from different companies. It brightened up my day anyway and I'm looking forward to some repeat viewings and to the many other online offerings coming up.

• Like 5

Dances at a Gathering has just come to my rescue ...food for the soul!! 

We are stuck with a flat battery in a hotel car park waiting for the breakdown services and the time going up by the hour because we are in a safe place we keep going to the back of the queue! It’s now been four hours and with a beautiful blue sky outside really infuriating. 
Anyway back in hotel room and just watched livestream of Dances and loved it all over again! 
I saw it in the cinema and live at ROH earlier this year and each time I watch it I see something I’ve missed before. 
I just don’t think this cast can be perfected just such beautiful dancing definitely my died and gone to heaven ballet ❤️

• Like 3