Final year

Picturesinthefirelight

My daughter is in her final year of training in musical theatre. 

I feel the forum has little relevance any more. It’s a shame as it’s been great over the years but it’s not the place it used to be. 

Ive spoken to some great posters over the years and had some great advice as both the parent of a dancer at vocational school and hopefully as the wife of a teacher at a vocational school I’ve had something to give. 

But its time to go now so thanks and goodbye. 

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 7

Pictures, I have always followed your posts with much interest over the years. I do not post so much these days but I always look out for the old-timers here, of whom you are one. Thank you for your much valued contributions. I wish you and yours all the best.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

My daughter is in her final year of training in musical theatre. 

I feel the forum has little relevance any more. It’s a shame as it’s been great over the years but it’s not the place it used to be. 

Ive spoken to some great posters over the years and had some great advice as both the parent of a dancer at vocational school and hopefully as the wife of a teacher at a vocational school I’ve had something to give. 

But its time to go now so thanks and goodbye. 

Sorry to see you go - I have found your posts most helpful.  All the best to your DD in her future career! 

• Like 1

Surely a new dance related career journey is just about to begin & your viewpoint as a parent of one about to enter the profession could be ever more valuable to many of us on here....or perhaps you may find another forum more related to the MT industry? Either way, your posts have always been informed & measured. Much respect & you will be much missed.

Thank you & best of luck to your DD & rest of your family 

xx

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 1

Pictures, you have always been my favourite poster here for your thorough research and generosity with your advice. I feel your frustrations about not being able to discuss some things freely but I really hope you'll hang around a bit longer. Good luck to your DD and the rest of your family. 

• Like 3

Thank you Pictures, for all your useful advice and measured posts over the few years I have been on the forum. I always knew that your response would be well thought out and helpful.  

I will miss you. 

Best wishes to you and your family for the future.  X X

Edited by Pixiewoo
  • Like 2

Please stay on longer Pictures.  Your insight into the dance and MT world is valuable.  It would be really helpful if you could continue to post about what happens after graduation.  If you don't want to talk specifically about your DD, general information about the cohort that graduates with her, what happens in auditions, who gets job offers and from where may shed some light for other parents & teachers, keen to know about life after Vocational school.  Also any general insight you have through your DH's position would be good!

And of course good luck to your DD for her future!

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add last sentence.
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear you are going Pictures.  I understand though - when my dd finished at vocational school I dropped away for a while as I felt the forum was no longer relevant for me and I didn't have much to contribute.

Maybe we will see you back again in the future.

Good luck to your dd.

Oh I will be sorry to see you go. I rarely post or comment on here, my daughters are not good enough dancers for me to generally be in a position to get involved with tha vast majority of posts but I do enjoy reading them and following what people's children are doing. Thank you for what I have learned from your posts and good luck to you and your daughter. 

• Like 1

We will miss your insight, wisdom and experience, Pictures.  You have helped so many people over the years that I hope you reconsider or pop back from time to time.

It’s a great shame if anyone’s view of the Forum has become in any way negative - we Mods like to think it is still relevant and useful to a great many people, which rising online user numbers would confirm.   We have to have rules in place to ensure the continued running of the forum and although some of these rules may seem “stupid”, they are there for good/legal reasons which we are not always at liberty to explain publicly.  

As we have said previously, there is always the option for those who don’t like our rules or think them stupid to try setting up their own forum where *they* risk being on the receiving end of legal correspondence.  This isn’t a threat; we don’t want anyone to leave, just to *please* stop and think about the logistics, time needed and most importantly the legal implications of voluntarily running a public forum where Moderators are held responsible for what other people post.

Pictures, wishing you and your dd the very best for her career in MT - please pop back every so often and update us.

Kind regards, Anna

• Like 9

Like Mrs Brown, I rarely post as I don’t feel I have much experience to offer yet being only at the start of DD’s audition journey. I have read many of your posts containing such useful advice. Will be a great shame to see you go.

Wishing very best of luck to your DD & your family. 

Pictures, please stay because your insight is  so valuable to those starting out on the journey and because you have more information on the MT side of the dancing world. Besides we will be so pleased to hear of your DD and the future path.  

I find everyone's opinions illuminating and informative, not just us parents on Doing Dance but other pages of this forum. It is good to debate issues and perspectives in a constructive way as we all have something to contribute  to the collective body of knowledge or to learn.

• Like 2

I've been a member of several forums (fora?) over the years, many of which have been constrained by legal implications. It incenses me, I have to confess, because I hate being censored and I absolutely detest having posts that I've spent time writing being deleted! I really can't emphasise that enough - I HATE being silenced!!!! 

However .... I have also come, over my aging internet years, to appreciate that I don't always have the bigger picture, and that the legal constrainsts of the world in which I find myself play out online as much as they do offline.

I don't like that. In fact .... did I say this yet? ... I HATE being censored. 

But ......... here's the big BUT. Living in the UK, I believe that in most instances I do have freedom of speech. That right is precious to me and I would HATE even more to be living in a country that denied me this in even the most basic of positions. I have also learned to appreciate that, on this specific internet forum, when we are told, "You can't mention such-and-such a school", it isn't because the moderators/forum have taken that stance for themselves - but it's because the schools themselves have said that they don't want to be mentioned. 

Taking that perspective, I understand it as the schools in question saying that they would rather not be talked about at all than to take the risk of receiving either good or bad publicity in these forums.

I hope this is helpful, pictures ..... as I have also appreciated your posts greatly and would HATE to see you disappear from this forum right now when you still have so much that I want to talk to you about ..... xx

• Like 4

I love your name Pictures and will miss your posts too. 

Good luck to your DD perhaps you could let us know how she gets on down the line I'm sure many on here will be interested. 

Just seen your post Glissade and think you probably speak for many on here so am just editing my post to say Thankyou for that and agree don't want to see Pictures go in these circumstances.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2