"Yeh Ballet" film & doc / where are they now?

Netflix notified me about a new ballet film released this Friday, about two working-class teens from Mumbai who discover ballet. Digging deeper, it seems like it is based on a 2017 documentary by the same name and that the two featured boys were winning international scholarships after only two and a half years of training!

Amiruddin Shah in particular, seems to have done well. He should be around graduation now, and I'm wondering if anyone has information as I'd love to see him at the RBS performances in summer - if he is indeed there. Unfortunately, the reporting quality is quite poor, and there are conflicting suggestions that he took up offers at the ABT JKO or Joffrey instead of the Royal Ballet School.

Here are some links:

https://scroll.in/reel/952814/yeh-ballet-trailer-two-male-dancers-chase-an-impossible-dream

https://scroll.in/reel/840658/a-dream-becomes-a-virtual-reality-in-sooni-taraporevalas-yeh-ballet

Mods, as I had other questions I started a new thread, but please merge with the existing "non-terrestrial" thread if more appropriate!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Amiruddin Shah in particular, seems to have done well. He should be around graduation now, and I'm wondering if anyone has information as I'd love to see him at the RBS performances in summer - if he is indeed there. 

Just checked the class lists in the 2019 RBS Summer Performance programme.  He is listed as Second Year Upper School.  Some students leave at the end of the Second Year. Does anybody know if he stayed on to do the Third Year? 

Edited to add that I found an article which refers to a three year scholarship for the RBS so he's most likely still there.

https://www.braingainmag.com/how-amiruddin-shah-pirouetted-his-way-from-mumbais-slums-to-the-royal-ballet-school.htm

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Just checked the class lists in the 2019 RBS Summer Performance programme.  He is listed as Second Year Upper School.  Some students leave at the end of the Second Year. Does anybody know if he stayed on to do the Third Year? 

Thank you so much! Argh, I forgot to add the "school" in quotes when searching, and when I did, it threw up this: https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2019/11/22/lynn-seymour-award-for-expressive-dance-2019/

Joint 3rd in the Lynn Seymour in November 2019, so I assume that he did stay on!

• Like 1

I just finished watching this tonight and it's definitely worth the two hours. The storyline is predictable; it is not a film that explores why we dance; but explores dreams and divisions in a way that left me feeling incredibly lucky, and incredibly inspired. 

There were some wonderful, subtle touches. From a female director, some of the key plot turns are delivered by minor, female characters. And without giving away the ending, do notice the unfamiliarity that the two leads have in the last few minutes with a simple procedure that all of us I imagine have done multiple times. Watching the parting shots in their shoes makes it even more uplifting.

• Like 2

Loved this film. Thank you @meetmeatthebarre for bringing it to my attention. Call me sentimental but the scene with Nishu dancing for the patients in the hospital brought a tear to my eye. A lovely film and such a positive change from all the violent murder films we're saturated in.

Edited by Sharon
Typo
  • Like 2

I watch the film this evening very good, definitely watch it with my little boy tomorrow, inset day :) it’s a 15 so I watched throw first but great story, proving ballet being introduced to the masses, it’s changing for the better very exciting times! Please fingers crossed for lil boy, made into, white lodge and Elmhurst finals any advice greatly appreciated he’s 11 , so excited for him and scared all at once! Xx

• Like 2

• 2 years later...