Finis Jhung

Sheila Beelam

Has anybody come across Finis Jhung on YouTube? He has a series of inspiring tutorials and I would love to be able to attend his pirouette classes but sadly he's based in New York and doesn't teach overseas.

He does however sell instructional videos on his website and I wondered if anybody had tried them? They're rather expensive, but if they are as helpful as his YouTube videos I might just try some!

http://www.finisjhung.com/catalog/index.php

• Like 2

No but I have now, thank you for that. The weekend workshop looks nice but once you have added the hotel bill and airfairs its expensive, but never the less, it's tempting. I too am looking for stuff on pirouettes, but I think we may be doing them in class when I get back as one of our last sessions was on prep for pirouettes. I had a quick look on Youtube, I like his stretching techniques too.

Hi Just Ballet, I just knew this would happen, I've checked flights and I can do it with only two nights accomodation, sent a couple of emails out for current hotel quotes, then I need to see what commitment I have from my classes this end, otherwise this Gal is off to New York for a Ballet weekend.

• Like 1

Haha Michelle and I was deliberating over spending $49 on a dvd!

Seriously though, his workshops look great and if logistically I could juggle two full time jobs, 2 teenagers, 3 dogs, 3 cats...and a husband...with a trip to NYC, I'd be there!

I hope you'll keep us posted and I look forward to hearing all about it :) I may just buy a DVD now...it's just a matter of which one! Or there's the complete set for £1K+!!

• Like 1

I think the DVD are expensive, but its a question of whats in them or is just marketing.

If I do go and its not certain, its a question about how far my own ballet teachers will go, either in class or privately, if that offers a better more cost effective solution then I wont go. But as I suspect, they may not want to go outside there comfort zone of the level they teach, Then I will make use of this trip, but it dont give me alot of time to make my mind up, but then I have never been indecisive.

I will try and check out as many DVD's on site if I have the opertunity, especially as there is a 10% discount for his students.

Hi everyone!

Finis Jhung is incredible; a trip to NYC is worth it for one of his classes! That said, do be warned – he is somewhat more of a disciplinarian in comparison to most teachers I have ever come across! (although I bet in Russia he would find his competition ;) )

I went to observe one of his classes in NY last year and he was so abrupt with me I felt like I was back at school all over again – I think I actually stammered! But that said, he is simultaneously a lovely guy, and his methods are wonderfully effective, and really rather innovative.

Best wishes,

Angeline

• Like 3

Hi Angeline

As you have been over there, perhaps you can fill in a few gaps for me. If I go it will literally be a flying visit, what I am looking for is:

1. a gestimate or ball park figure for the taxis fare from JFK to one of the hotels close to his location.

2. Estimated travelling time as this will be critical for my return journey back to the airport straight after finishing class on the Sunday.

3. Is videoing the tutors demonstration of moves / position permitted ?

One final point, he may be a disciplinarian but if it's uncalled for, or turns abusive, this girl has fire in her belly too. After all he is providing ME with a service, which I HAVE PAID FOR, that’s his obligation.

I’m sorry but as paying a adult I just don’t buy the headmaster / pupil relationship. This as far as I am concerned is a knowledge transfer partnership which he has contracted to do, even if it’s via the medium of group participation. It takes both of us to sing from the same hymn sheet for things to work effectively, so to speak.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Bad news, the weekend class I was looking at ( Feb 16 & 17th) and going to book this weekend has now been cancelled.

There is one in August, but my dilemma is that it may conflict with UK summer school dates; also both the hotels and flight cost have doubled for this time of year. I will have to wait for the UK dates to come in before deciding if to book it or not.

Thats a real dissapointment and left me really deflated.

Oh Michelle that is bad news :(

Why don't you cheer yourself up with a surf through his youtube videos and find a particular aspect that you can work on at your next class?

Mine's going to be pirouettes tomorrow - eg he says to make sure you pull back your left shoulder, if turning right, so that's what I'm focussing on tomorrow :)

Sheila I think you can read my mind.

Not so much Youtube, I have an intermediate / advanced DVD by David Howard, there is a gorgeous repetitive sequence using triple pirouettes, the prep which I have altered a bit with a coupé, then pas de bourrée, dropping in fourth as prep for triple pirouette, as you end with the opposite foot in front, everything is repeated on the opposite foot. This is done to a tango rhythm and really works for me.

Firstly my teacher at my local class did a small session with me on this on Thursday after the rest of the class had gone, which I videoed as reference.

Secondly my Lincoln teacher has started teaching us pirouettes (very basic) and is very interested in using tango rhythms as she has seen the sequence I want to dance, I have offered to take some tango music in.

Never the less I will be downloading some of Finis Jhung youtube videos for my own collection, but removing the sales pitch where present. I have a 50 inch TV hooked up to a netbook in my dance studio, Im getting quite a collection of vidoes now. Just need to get my floor finished, Its now a sprung floor, I laid it in the last two day, but Harlequin Dance floors did not send the glue to glue the large floor panels together. The glue arrived by post this morning as I was typing this reply.

Michelle x

Edited by Michelle_Richer

• 2 weeks later...