Dd at a crossroads - advice please

Hi Lemongirl

My daughter auditioned last year and from memory wasn't required to sing at her  Northern Ballet school ( Manchester) audition . I also believe London Studio Centre do not require sinigng (?) Am sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Am not sure if these colleges are still accepting applicants for this year though ?

My DD was (is) primarily a dancer and with similar focus to yours - she had very little singing experience when she auditioned last year and wasn't v. comfortable with the whole thing ...but she seems to be enjoying the singing teaching she is now receiving (1st year BA Urdang) and appreciates that when she graduates  being able to sing will make her far more versatile and hopefully employable 😄.

Best of luck to your daughter !! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Just came across this.... highlights how at Universirties there may well be fantastic ways to continue (& combine) dance/ballet into academic life! If I had my time again????!!!!

How interesting!  I wonder if this is particular to St Hilda’s?  My dd is at Oxford and I don’t think she knows about this despite being on the Uni dance team so I wonder if it’s only a St Hilda’s thing.  

I thought they were going to say that their other Patron was Lady MacMillan as she was also in the photo with Dame Monica Mason.

Oxford and Cambridge seem to be blessed with very talented dancers who have either chosen academics over ballet or have had the choice made for them by injury/physical limitations.  It’s absolutely possible to combine dance and degree work but short terms and a hugely intense workload (on some courses more than others) can take its toll.  

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Lemongirl said:

A quick question about photos - a lot of the colleges we've been looking at require photos.  Where can I get these done?

Are you able to ask your Dds current teacher to take them ( or help you take them) after her class one day? 
Most teachers are happy to help free of charge but you may need to pay extra for the studio hire    If you need to stay on late. It would be preferable to have a trained teachers eye just to make sure everything’s perfectly placed.
As she is an older student, it is best to use studio facilities rather than take them at home as it will show her off to her best. Unless you have bare walls and loads of space of course.

Try to kneel down or sit down when you take the photos as it makes the proportions ( especially legs) look better.

Always wear a plain leotard ( no frills or lace or cross over straps) with a nice leg line.

• Like 1

I would definitely seek teacher’s assistance with photos and also, if possible, to choose which photos are best to send if you have a choice. Thank goodness for digital cameras! I wasted so many rolls of film on audition photos before they were a thing.

The quality of the photograph isn’t important, it is how it shows your dd’s physique, facility and technique. 

• Like 3

Yes!  Absolutely. It’s perfect for taking photos over and over and then going home to mull over which ones are best.... hopefully with a glass of wine! Because doing the photos really is a test of patience. Although I would let your teacher have the last say in which ones get sent.

At least it sounds like you have managed to avoid choosing schools that require a video!

• Like 2

Yes Valentina , getting the video is worse! Finding someone with a good enough camera that picks up sound, having the studio free for long enough that picky teachers and students can mull over how best to demonstrate  10-15 minutes of barre , centre, allegro into a handfull of exercises with technical precision and artistic projection. Cutting it, Uploading it into the required format. Almost impossible to please everyone. We, or rather the DD, have rejected this option so many times for lack of the enthusiam to start. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update - dd is going to check with Birmingham to see if they will agree to defer for another year.  In the meantime, she is planning on auditioning for London Studio Centre, Trinity Laban, a small local dance college (where they are upgrading the course to degree level) and Stella Mann.  Does anyone know anything about Stella Mann?

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Just a quick update - dd decided to apply to London Studio Centre, Stella Mann, Urdang and Momentum (small local dance college near us).  

She auditioned for Momentum before lockdown and got waiting list which is quite good news I think.

Of course the other three will be video auditions.  We've spent the past few weeks filming everything she needs for LSC which had the earliest deadline and she submitted it last week.

Today - fantastic news - they have offered her a place on the BA Theatre Arts course! 😀😀

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Lemongirl said:

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Just a quick update - dd decided to apply to London Studio Centre, Stella Mann, Urdang and Momentum (small local dance college near us).  

She auditioned for Momentum before lockdown and got waiting list which is quite good news I think.

Of course the other three will be video auditions.  We've spent the past few weeks filming everything she needs for LSC which had the earliest deadline and she submitted it last week.

Today - fantastic news - they have offered her a place on the BA Theatre Arts course! 😀😀

What a great result!  Will she take this over the English offer?

• Like 1

Thank you, she is over the moon.

meadowblythe - yes probably.  The good thing is that the course at LSC is a BA so she'll have a degree.  However the fees are around 50% more than a university degree and I don't think we qualify for funding.  But I assume dd can get student funding/loans etc.

Worth having a look at the funding page - I'm not sure if LSC degrees are fully covered by student funding?  Others will have more information.

Also she will obviously pay (a lot!) more for London accommodation.  But what a talented girl to get both offers.

1 hour ago, Lemongirl said:

The good thing is that the course at LSC is a BA so she'll have a degree.  However the fees are around 50% more than a university degree and I don't think we qualify for funding.  But I assume dd can get student funding/loans etc.

Congrats to your DD Lemongirl. LSC is a great college. My DD had an offer from there quite a few years ago now and it was mainly the financial side that led to her declining the place. 

Yes, your DD will be entitled to student finance but you need to check carefully how much. As I say, it is a few years since we were in your position, and things may well have changed, but at the time we could only get a loan for £6k of the fees, which obviously left a significant gap. Plus as meadowblythe says the living expenses are quite high. I don't want to panic you and it may not be the case now anyway, but do read the detail on the financial side of things carefully.

We went from "Yaay!" to "Ohhhh...." quite quickly when I started to do the sums. We could have done it actually but DD was adamant that she didn't want her younger siblings to miss out on anything so she chose a less expensive route. I regret it at times to be honest, but its all water under the bridge now and she is happy with how things have turned out, but I do think she would have enjoyed LSC.

Good luck to your DD.

• Like 2

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I should have said that she will live at home as we live in London.  The journey is a bit of a nightmare by public transport despite us living relatively close but dd is learning to drive and hopefully will pass her test soon.

She was offered either a jazz or contemporary track which seems a bit early to decide!  I presume there is flexibility?