John Travis RIP

The British Ballet Organisation has just released the following:

"We are sad to announce the passing of former CEO, John Travis, after a long illness. 

John was the CEO of bbodance for over 20 years. He was extremely passionate about dance and our organisation, at one stage running it virtually single-handedly. His commitment touched the lives of a great many people. We are only too well aware how upset many of you will be and the sense of loss you will feel.

"Shortly before his death I spoke to John and was able to express how much the membership and staff appreciated him and the work he undertook on behalf of the organisation. I could tell he was extremely appreciative of the sentiment, it was a truly poignant moment. I am grateful that I had this opportunity to speak to him on behalf of us all," stated bbodance CEO, Robin Bloor.

We are in touch with John's close family, who will keep us advised about arrangements and opportunities to pay your respects.

On behalf of all of us at bbodance, John will be greatly missed."

I remember John very well as the first archivist of English National Ballet, or London Festival Ballet as it then was, and as leader of the company's groundbreaking Education Unit.  A great raconteur and a fount of knowledge, he was always the best of company and will be sorely missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

• Like 4