Johan Kobborg brings his Romeo and Juliet to RAH - now rescheduled to 1st December 2021

Johan Kobborg announced tonight on various social media that his production of Romeo and Juliet will be at the Royal Albert Hall on April 14th.

The cast is not announced, but I think we can suppose at least Alina Cojocaru and Sergei Polunin will be confirmd. I am crossing my fingers for Nikolas Gaifullin as Thybalt.

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exciting news though a shame its only for one night. I haven't seen ballet at the Albert Hall since the Bolshoi brought their series of ballet suites there in the 1990s. Frankly the sight line problems we had then put me off seeing ballet at the Albert Hall ever again. Does anyone have advice, please, either on reccommended seats or seats definitely to avoid?

• Like 2

Nikolas Gaifullin - Tybalt

Valentino Zucchetti - Mercutio

Ross Freddie Ray - Lord Capulet

Jann Esterhuizen - Lady Capulet

Giorgio Garrett - Benvolio

Above all confirmed for RAH.  same cast as premiere in Verona last year

Edited by FionaE
Clarification

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

This is exciting news though a shame its only for one night. I haven't seen ballet at the Albert Hall since the Bolshoi brought their series of ballet suites there in the 1990s. Frankly the sight line problems we had then put me off seeing ballet at the Albert Hall ever again. Does anyone have advice, please, either on reccommended seats or seats definitely to avoid?

If it's in the round, I personally wouldn't sit anywhere in the Rausing Circle except for the first row where it would be possible to lean forward and get a good view of the whole arena.

Personally, having seen a number of ENB performances there, I am most put off ballet at the Royal Albert Hall because of the audiences I have experienced there.  Talking loudly, openly filming, and taking flash photos even when explicitly told it is a danger to the dancers.

• Like 1

I have just checked the RAH seating plan for this and it is not in the round but will be performed on the stage with seating in the arena.  The ticket prices range from £33.75 for the back row of the Rausing Circle (top tier of the hall) to £92.88 for the first row.  The top price is £184.25 for the front of the arena.  Seats at the side of the stage and behind it are not being sold.

14 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

I have just checked the RAH seating plan for this and it is not in the round but will be performed on the stage with seating in the arena.  The ticket prices range from £33.75 for the back row of the Rausing Circle (top tier of the hall) to £92.88 for the first row.  The top price is £184.25 for the front of the arena.  Seats at the side of the stage and behind it are not being sold.

Thanks, Irmgard. That makes my decision for me! (i.e., way too expensive.)

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Sim said:

I will not pay almost £34 to sit at the very top of the RAH....but I hope everyone who goes enjoys it. 

It costs almost the same than ENB Swan Lake; of course it doesn't last as Swan Lake and doesn't involve a whole company and orchestra, but for sure to set up a single show costs more than a series.

Comparing prices in UK and Italy I think it's cheaper than the Arena di Verona and in a better venue (at least one can be confident i will not be stopped due to rain...).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alison said:

It's quite considerably more than the bottom price for ENB.  Guess I shan't be going unless they make gallery standing available, then.

Over twice the price, consistently by the sound of it.

I get that they don’t have ENB’s public funding and that they have to earn a crust, but it’s a lot more than UK ballet goers are used to paying even at the top end (for comparison, the RB Swan Lake runs up to £145). They may be looking for a different audience, however.

To be fair, I probably wouldn’t have made the trek anyway, but the prices rule it out for me as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alison said:

It's quite considerably more than the bottom price for ENB.  Guess I shan't be going unless they make gallery standing available, then.

I am not a friend and I cannot see the seating plan for Romeo and Juliet: I made a comparison with frontal view tickets and Ithink there is 1 pound of difference...being not a "round" production I assume that the sides, costing less with ENB, will not be sold.

Zucchero concert costa much more that Romeo and Swan Lake, despite the fact that you can listen all the songs at home every day for 10 years spending much less.

1 hour ago, annamicro said:

I am not a friend and I cannot see the seating plan for Romeo and Juliet: I made a comparison with frontal view tickets and Ithink there is 1 pound of difference...being not a "round" production I assume that the sides, costing less with ENB, will not be sold.

Zucchero concert costa much more that Romeo and Swan Lake, despite the fact that you can listen all the songs at home every day for 10 years spending much less.

If you want to see the seating plan and prices today, click on the box which asks to add Friend's membership to your basket.  This will bring up the seating plan and the prices and, of course, you do not have to go through with buying the Friend's membership!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

If you want to see the seating plan and prices today, click on the box which asks to add Friend's membership to your basket.  This will bring up the seating plan and the prices and, of course, you do not have to go through with buying the Friend's membership!

thank you for the tip! It cold be useful for the future...in this case I think I can manage to survive until tomorrow when the general booking opens 😅

7 hours ago, capybara said:

And it's very short, isn't it?

I will look at the seats/prices tomorrow, but................!

It is 1 and a half hours with no interval.  Intense.  Think of it like going to the cinema for a movie without interval.  Starts at 8pm.  Will be over by 9.30pm. 

Main characters are on stage and dancing for almost the full length.  That’s what’s different to traditional 3 acts with 2 intervals.  Similar length to RB Onegin without the intervals.   You can imagine the buildup of emotion and drama. 

• Like 1

This is a PoluninInk production.   Sergei is the producer, financier, principal male dancer and the person making these productions happen.  For all his comments that this is Johan’s creation, which it certainly is ...  one would not happen without the other, and vice versa.

Edited by FionaE
Typo

21 hours ago, Irmgard said:

I should have avoided comments yesterday.

I followed your tip earlier and checked the price: 34 pounds are for nearly useless seats at the side; the very front row is 250 pounds!

Seats at the very top with frontal view cost 55 pounds, plus the telescope one will need to properly watch an intimate tragedy as Romeo and Juliet is. Awful.

I will wait to see if the prices will be halved as it was in Verona.

I have already bought my flight ticket: any suggestions on what to visit in the nearby of London? I have 2 days and an half with free evenings.

11 hours ago, FionaE said:

the set is big ... designed for the 10,000+ outdoor Arena Di Verona and so they can’t place people behind it.

The set is beautiful but not big. The cast is of 23 if I remember well and Verona stage was a wild prairie with something (absolutely relevant!) just at the centre. I have the feeling that RAH stage section is smaller and that would be good.

1 hour ago, annamicro said:

I have already bought my flight ticket: any suggestions on what to visit in the nearby of London? I have 2 days and an half with free evenings.

The Victoria and Albert museum is nearby, and delightful - and free!  I particularly love the section of old musical instruments (very decorative) and also of course the costumes and fabrics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

The Victoria and Albert museum is nearby, and delightful - and free!  I particularly love the section of old musical instruments (very decorative) and also of course the costumes and fabrics.

An exhibition about kimonos is opening at the end of this month.  Northern Ballet have put something on Insta about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, annamicro said:

I should have avoided comments yesterday.

I followed your tip earlier and checked the price: 34 pounds are for nearly useless seats at the side; the very front row is 250 pounds!

Seats at the very top with frontal view cost 55 pounds, plus the telescope one will need to properly watch an intimate tragedy as Romeo and Juliet is. Awful.

Apologies - I missed the fact that the front row is even more expensive!  You would have a very good view of their feet for £250!!   If you mean what is near the Albert Hall to visit, you are spoiled for choice with museums (Natural History as well as Victoria & Albert), plus there is the beautiful Kensington Palace which has a selection of rooms open to the public.  Kensington Gardens are also worth spending time in and you can walk all the way through them to Hyde Park where you will be at the back of Buckingham Palace.  The Palace itself will not be open in April but the Queen's Gallery will be, and usually has excellent exhibitions from the Queen's art collection.  

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for the suggestions 🙂

Anyway if I will not be attending to the show I'd love to go outside London: I've been in London more than 100 times but usually busy in the evening, having shows to attend to.

Thanks the outrageous ticket pricing for this show, this time maybe I could finally visit Oxford or Cambridge...

15 hours ago, annamicro said:

... I followed your tip earlier and checked the price: 34 pounds are for nearly useless seats at the side; the very front row is 250 pounds!

It was a strange experience for me when I was buying my ticket at RAH today.
There were no R & J posters outside at all. At the box office I was told that the most expensive tickets had gone. When I asked why there are such unusual ticket prices as £92.88, the reply was: not to worry, we will round them down: for £33.75 ticket you will pay £30, for £55.25 ticket you will pay £50 and so on.
After I paid for a ticket, two receipts were printed for me and I was told that the ticket will be sent to my address by post. WHY? The man explained that their printer can print receipts but sometimes fails to print tickets. Strange...

18 minutes ago, Amelia said:

It was a strange experience for me when I was buying my ticket at RAH today.
There were no R & J posters outside at all. At the box office I was told that the most expensive tickets had gone. When I asked why there are such unusual ticket prices as £92.88, the reply was: not to worry, we will round them down: for £33.75 ticket you will pay £30, for £55.25 ticket you will pay £50 and so on.
After I paid for a ticket, two receipts were printed for me and I was told that the ticket will be sent to my address by post. WHY? The man explained that their printer can print receipts but sometimes fails to print tickets. Strange...

The “odd” prices include the booking fee, which you wouldn’t have paid as you were booking at the box office.  The tickets being sent by post is an anti-tout measure.

• Like 1